applique

Old March 11th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sue[_2_]

Default applique

I apologize if this has been asked and answered but I'm new to the
group and still pretty new at quilting.
I'm making a t-shirt quilt with my son's athletic team t-shirts and I
saved all the sleeve logos and player numbers to use as appliques on
the back. My hand sewing skills are decent and I plan to hand sew
using needle turn.
Originally I was going to applique them to the back before I quilted
but then I realized I'd have quilting (planning to quilt by machine)
stitches through the appliques (which are glossy numbers). So my
choices are either to line things up and estimate where the quilt
stitches will go first and then applique and try to avoid when
quilting. Or I thought about quilting first and then appliqueing onto
the back.
So is it feasible and realistic to hand turn appliques onto the back
fabric of the quilt after it's already been quilted? Or is it too
difficult to just sew onto that layer?

Thanks
Old March 11th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Definitely appliqué after you quilt. Much easier all the way around,
especially since you're going to hand appliqué.

And welcome to the group!
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old March 11th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have appliquéd to an already quilted piece. It is actually easier, as
you have little raised pieces that you can slip your needle into. And
the look of the uninterrupted quilting behind the appliqué is lovely. I
didn't find it difficult at all to restrict myself to just the one layer
of fabric to pick up with the needle - and, if you do go a bit deeper,
by accident, it will only be the batting. It would take some effort to
get all the way to the front!
..
In message
, Sue
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 11th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Realizing that there are no quilt police, I tend to break a lot of
"rules". That being said, this is what I would think about doing --
lay out your fabric, and arrange the various pieces you want to
applique. Keep moving them around in various designs until you're
pleased. When it's "just right", get out a marking pen with
disappearing ink and run it around the edges of all of the pieces to
be appliqued. Now, take the pieces off the fabric and put them aside
somewhere safe where they won't wander away. Before the disappearing
ink actually disappears, take an ordinary pencil and draw the shapes
about a 1/4" inside the disappearing ink shapes. The pencil marks
will stay put, and will be hidden by the applique. Now you can go
ahead and do the quilting. After the quilting is finished, get out
all the little pieces you tucked away and applique them to the quilt.

Focus on Applique: Ugly fabrics = great for applique Debra Quilting 25 October 1st 06 07:00 AM
Applique Cindy Hutchison Quilting 5 September 17th 06 11:33 PM
Applique going to go for it! Christina in Ok Quilting 12 October 6th 05 12:46 AM
Applique Mary in Oregon Quilting 17 May 2nd 04 01:44 AM
Tea Cup Applique Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 December 4th 03 09:54 AM