Darn you, Polly Esther

Old September 13th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

Default Darn you, Polly Esther

I mentioned the dryer thing to DH yesterday, so last night he pulled ours
out, vacuumed lint from inside (not too bad), and cleaned out the exhaust
hose. Ours goes from the center of our townhouse to an outside wall. When
we were renovating, we installed a metal one, so we only have the vinyl one
from the back of the dryer to the ceiling.
Then DH remembered that I wanted the stove pulled out, so this morning he
pulled it out, cleaned all around, even washing the kitchen floor when he
was done!
I think he is a keeper!

--
Susan in Kingston ON
back to quilting, as usual
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
You may find that your dryer will dry heaps faster now that it is clean

and
free-blowing. Both my sister and DDIL have told me that they can dry

about
3 times faster now that they've heeded my dryer-alert. The only change

I've
noticed about my own newly-clean dryer is that the 'just inside the door'
lint filter collects lots more lint now. I don't have any idea why that

is.
Polly

"teleflora" wrote in message

"amy" wrote in message
ps.com...
OMG! i think i would've called a lawyer and had the builder run over
hot coals.
amy

No, the builder built the house and then sold it. That's what a "spec
(speculation) house" is. If he had built ME a house, I would never have
chosen plans where the utility room was not on an outside wall.

Speaking of which, I'm looking at house plans and I think I want my
utility room to be big enough to hold 2 dryers. I don't do laundry

every
day. Have never been the type to just throw in a load now and them. I
pick one day out of the week and do it all. That's just my way. It
always seems like I'm waiting on the dryer. So I want 2.

Cindy

Old September 13th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Now I do it a bit differently- I alternate quick drying and long-time drying
loads which allows the dryer to keep up with the washer. (When I wasn't
living alone that is- I don't do much laundry now-a-days.) I throw my
bedsheets load in the middle of the alternating loads- they always go out on
the clothes line for that yummy fresh air smell. Well, when the weather is
decent the sheets go outdoors on the line. I've always said if I win the
lottery I want to hire someone to come in every day and wash my sheets, hang
them out and put them back on my bed. Oh.... that would be heavenly and I
sleep better with the fresh scent drifting thru my empty head! VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Debra" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:35:56 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

Speaking of which, I'm looking at house plans and I think I want my
utility
room to be big enough to hold 2 dryers. I don't do laundry every day.
Have never been the type to just throw in a load now and them. I pick one
day out of the week and do it all. That's just my way. It always seems
like I'm waiting on the dryer. So I want 2.

Cindy

Do you wash your loads starting with the thinnest items and ending
with the thickest? IE: sheets first, then shirts, then jeans, then
towels, then quilts? Less time spent waiting on the dryer in the
early loads so more gets done and put away earlier. Jeans, towels,
and quilts take less time to fold so all the long to dry but easily
and quickly folded items are last.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old September 13th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

With the new front loaders the clothes are so dry when they spin they
dry in the dryer pretty fast too. I hang a lot of stuff out. I just
fluff most clothes and hang them on hangers. Like you Leslie I enjoy
crisp fresh line dried sheets. Kind of a luxury if you ask me.

The length of time the front loaders take really gives time for most
dryer loads to be dry in the same amount of time or less too.
It has taken some adjustment with timing but I am working it out slowly.
Taria

Old September 14th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:02:37 -0500, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

Now I do it a bit differently- I alternate quick drying and long-time drying
loads which allows the dryer to keep up with the washer. (When I wasn't
living alone that is- I don't do much laundry now-a-days.) I throw my
bedsheets load in the middle of the alternating loads- they always go out on
the clothes line for that yummy fresh air smell. Well, when the weather is
decent the sheets go outdoors on the line. I've always said if I win the
lottery I want to hire someone to come in every day and wash my sheets, hang
them out and put them back on my bed. Oh.... that would be heavenly and I
sleep better with the fresh scent drifting thru my empty head! VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

There are 2 coal burning electricity plants within 5 miles of here. I
can't hang anything out, unless I want a black line on it.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 14th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:47:48 -0400, "Susan Torrens"
wrote:

I mentioned the dryer thing to DH yesterday, so last night he pulled ours
out, vacuumed lint from inside (not too bad), and cleaned out the exhaust
hose. Ours goes from the center of our townhouse to an outside wall. When
we were renovating, we installed a metal one, so we only have the vinyl one
from the back of the dryer to the ceiling.

Vinyl lint hose is no longer allowed around here. The powers that be
seem to think the vent fires are caused by the vinyl rather than lint
build-up so they changed the building codes. Now you must install
metal venting.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old September 14th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

My laundry room is the only room without an outside wall, and the dryer
exhaust goes about 25' straight up to the vent on the roof. I hope I never
have a problem like yours, 'cause there's no way I'd let my sweet yet klutzy
DH anywhere near the roof. My sympathies.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts and stuff: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

"teleflora" wrote in message
Don't mention another word about stuff going wrong!

I came home Sunday from 3 days at a convention at Lake of the Ozarks, to a
clogged up dryer vent! There wasn't much danger of fire, though. The mess
was soaking wet. DD was trying to do laundry and it had taken 3 hours to
dry a load of towels.

I dragged the dryer out so I could squeeeeeeze back there to unhook the
hose and the clog wasn't in the dryer. Went outside and absolutely no air
was coming out the vent.

Monday, DH went and bought a plumbers tape to run the vent. He finally
ended up crawling under the house and disconnecting the darn thing and
manually cleaning out all that wet lint. I don't know why it happened,
but it's working great now. So I guess every 6 months or so, he will have
to crawl under there and clean it out.

As I said in the earlier thread, the stupid builder put the dryer on an
inside wall. It was a spec house, so nobody forced him to do it. The vent
goes into the wall, straight down and 90's into a 20 foot run to an
outside wall where it vents outside.

Cindy Don't EVEN talk about dishwashers, I'm beggin you.

Old September 14th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Had the Dryer Repairman over yesterday. The 'clicking sound' that we thought
was a belt going was a 'bearing'. He said he replaced all the 'moving parts'
i.e. everything that came in the Dryer kit. Good as new
Even with it being under warranty it cost us $44.00.

Butterfly (Sure beats a new dryer as this one isn't that old)

. ..

Old September 14th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Besides, it is a nice cozy place to hand quilt when
hiding from the kids and in laws. So, yeah, the light
is essential!
PAT

teleflora wrote:

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote in message

Why do you need a lamp in your dryer? Is your laundry afraid of the dark?

It's like the light in the refrigerator. It should just be there when I
need it.

Cindy

Old September 15th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Hahahahhahahahahah!

Cindy

teleflora wrote:

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote in message

Why do you need a lamp in your dryer? Is your laundry afraid of the
dark?

It's like the light in the refrigerator. It should just be there when I
need it.

Cindy

OT Polly Esther and the 'gators Kathy Applebaum Quilting 24 September 19th 04 08:02 AM
Polly Esther and Ivan Patti Quilting 12 September 19th 04 12:08 AM
ATTN Polly Esther Karlee in Kansas Quilting 8 January 30th 04 12:43 PM
OT POLLY ESTHER lives! Helen Martin Quilting 23 October 21st 03 02:25 AM
Polly Esther reporting in . . . Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\) Quilting 3 October 2nd 03 06:25 PM