Computer desk as sewing cabinet?

Old September 14th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default Computer desk as sewing cabinet?

First thought: Clever idea!

Second thought: Make sure it's real wood so the weight of your machine will
be secure. There's a reason it costs less.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
First check this out-

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Hamp..._Work_Station/

What *IF* a person were to buy this and make a cut-out for their sewing
machine over where the keyboard goes and set the sm on the pull-out shelf
(with the shelf in the 'in' position, of course)? Or else make the
cut-out over the middle drawer on the right so that the sm base sat down
inside the drawer? Just thinking, not ready to do anything, and I'd have
to get some measurements to be sure the sm sat low enough in either place.
Would that seem like a clever alternative to the terribly overpriced
sewing machine cabinets sold by Koala, etc.? I have seen computer desks
selling for very reasonable prices and it is easy to find used desks for
sale, as well. And you could put a shelf type thingy behind it to make
the surface area larger, too.

Wadda ya thunk???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 14th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

Leslie, check out the link below. DH and I made my sewing table from MDF.
We planned the major cuts and had them done at the home center. I have bolt
storage at one end, my machine is set to the left so that I can sit in front
of the needle. DH made the cut-out and installed a shelf below at the
correct height for my machine. I thought about adding a lift table at the
back for quilt support, but it wouldn't work in my room configuration.
Instead, I lower my ironing board and place it behind my table while machine
quilting. It supports the extra weight, and the fabric cover clings
slightly to the quilt to prevent quilt waterfall.
I believe my entire table came from one 4 x 8 sheet, with the addition of a
purchased bookshelf unit for one end.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...52991767bvuRGF

--
Susan in Kingston ON
back to quilting, as usual

Old September 14th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

I bought my cabinet 2 years ago from a vendor at ebay that I'm very happy
with. The item number for one currently on sale is 150159868947. I have a
pic of mine on my webshots. I also bought the matching drawer unit and the
extension piece that goes on the drawer, and the Plexiglas insert for my
Juki TL98Q.

I would be leery of using the keyboard tray on a computer desk, as they are
generally not built to hold much more than a keyboard.

That said, I have a lot of the Hawthorne furniture from Home Decorators. I
can tell you that while the pieces I got are solid wood, it's a pretty soft
wood, so soft that it is easily dented with just a fingernail. Not heirloom
pieces by any means, but they look pretty good. $599 seems like a lot to pay
for that desk, though. Have you checked their outlet site? Last time I
looked it seemed there were several desks at clearance prices.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilty stuff: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old September 14th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

This look like it Pati?
http://www.traceystables.com/
These guys make really nice but expensive stuff:
http://www.uniquesewingfurniture.com/index.html

I'm with John worrying about the pressboard. I have seen a few
desks at thrift stores where conversions to sewing machine tables
have been done. Kind of in the KCK manner (although done years ago)
but older furniture is usually mostly wood.
I can't believe the furniture that is available for sewing rooms.
Not much, overpriced and much of it pressboard.

Pressboard 'assemble yourself' furniture is pretty oddly designed
compared to real wood working. It may not be easy to re-work to the
point of your being happy.
Taria

Pati C. wrote:

Leslie, I have been looking at things like that for a couple of years.
There are 2 problems.... first, you end up centered on the machine, not
centered on the needle. The table I have right now is such that you
have the same problem, unless you are very slender. VBG The older I
get the more it bothers me.
Second, DH pointed out that you really don't want the machine on any
kind of support that slides. The vibration of sewing could make the
shelf/drawer slide and cause problems. G And none of us needs more
problems.

I keep on looking for a good way to go. I don't really want a "lift",
because I leave my machine up all the time. And don't use the free arm
either, so no need to raise it for that. G
The only thing I would need the machine at "another level" would be with
the embroidery unit, and that can be flat on the other desk. G

Last year at the Houston Festival I did find a place that does tables
that are really usable. They even do custom designs. G I think it was
"Tracy's Tables". Will have to find the paperwork and double check. But
their standard tables were really nice. You sit centered on the needle,
and such. Lots of options too.

Pati, in Phx

http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old September 14th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I have the Horn Quilter's cabinet and love it. I did a lot of research
before buying. The LQS was running a great "Deal" on them, however, no
delivery. And they are HEAVY! I searched the web and found a sewing-vac.
store in TX that had very good prices, including shipping. I got it shipped
by Fed EX, delivered to the house, and the driver waited to see it uncrated
to make sure there was no damage (both times). ( I liked it so well I
ordered another one). And they were way cheaper than locally.
I'd had the Koala Outback, but hated the bar across the bottom. I just
didn't have room to stretch out my leg under it. Now, after the surgery on
my foot, I'm doubly glad I switched. Lots more room with the Horn. I also
really like that there's a top that fits on the open drawer to the left of
the machine---really handy for quilting.
Gen

"TwinMom" Boo!! Hisss!!!! Anyway, I did check out the original site for
Horn cabinets.
They do NOT post prices on line, but you can either call or eamil them for
a quote. My understanding is that the Horn is quite similar to the Koala.
Anyway, it might be worth checking into. Of course, NAYY....
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/

Lorraine in La Center

Old September 14th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Taria, that does look like it. Thanks for finding it. G As I
remember pricing was a lot more reasonable than some of the other
places, and they are willing to customize as you wish. I see they now
have a serger set up too. G