Using leftover fabric.

Old March 17th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Using leftover fabric.

Well I have finished my woodworking stuff and have returned to
quilting with a full head of steam. I was trying to come up with a
plan to use up all of the small lots of fabric from the various quilts
that I have produced recently. Boy, did I come up with a doozy. In one
of my books I spied a quilt called a 1000 piece quilt form the mid
1800's and decided that would be just the ticket. I proceeded to cut
up into 2" squares most of the leftover fabric and then divided those
into 1-1/2" triangles which will finish out to 1" squares when paired
with contrasting fabric of like dimension. Just off hand I decided to
see how many of these squares would produce the 6' x 6' quilt I had
imagined. The multiples worked out to 5184 squares made up of 15
various two color, combinations. I figure it will take me at least 1
month, or more, to do those into a finished top. My god that is a lot
of piecing. Does anybody else do that many pieces for a quilt? Or, am
I the only one with the lack of common sense about what constitutes a
reasonable amount of work to finish a top? I am going to take it slow
and easy and not get to impatient to see and end to this thing. In the
past I have been able to finish a top in about a week or so. Not this
one, though. All bets are off. If you get a posting from my wife about
my being admitted to the insane asylum, don't be to surprised.

John

Old March 17th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
mary

You are more ambitious than I

--
Mary
"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
:
: John
:

Old March 17th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Mar 17, 4:13 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
We will visit you at the asylum, John, and bring you some crayons. Do you
think you would prefer primaries or fluorescents? Never mind. We'll ask
your wife; that is, of course, if her cell phone works okay on the cruise
lines. Polly

"John" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Yes, she shall be known as "Off Shore Flo", the sailors delight.

John

Old March 17th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
We will visit you at the asylum, John, and bring you some crayons. Do you
think you would prefer primaries or fluorescents? Never mind. We'll ask
your wife; that is, of course, if her cell phone works okay on the cruise
lines. Polly

I'll bring construction paper and paste.......the Elmer's School stuff, of
course, it's OK to eat.

Val

Old March 17th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

At the Houston IQF, some quilters from Japan displayed quilts made with 1/4"
hexagons that measured as much as 150" by 150" square. They were quite
spectacular. No way I'd ever have the patience to do that; it wore me out
just thinking about it.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
gentle snip

Old March 17th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

My DH says to tell you Med Central is just up the road. Good luck. I can't
imagine doing all that.
Gen
http://community.webshots.com/user/Coren920

oups.com...

Old March 17th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I am currently piecing a top which will contain a total of 5832
pieces, and doing it 100% by hand. (The only 'modern' thing I do with
quilting is using a rotary cutter.) I will also do all the quilting
and binding by hand. If you're a crazy person, I suppose that I am,
too. However, there are probably quite a few of us out there, so
don't worry about it!

Old March 17th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

And wasn't there a guy in the 1930's who made a quilt with about 150,000
pieces in it? It was in QNM a few years back...

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Valerie in FL" wrote in message
At the Houston IQF, some quilters from Japan displayed quilts made with
1/4" hexagons that measured as much as 150" by 150" square. They were
quite spectacular. No way I'd ever have the patience to do that; it wore
me out just thinking about it.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
gentle snip

Old March 18th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

John, I have one block, a diamond, finished size 4" point to point short
ways, and 7" point to point long ways that has 45 pieces in it.
My "Dear Jane" quilt has way more than 5,000 pieces in it, and will
finish about 80"+ x80"+. (50 some odd of those pieces are the solid
fabric triangles in the borders, and 4 are the border strips.........
the smallest pieces are half square triangles that finish at about 1/4"
on the short sides.)

There are many, many quilts made with thousands of tiny pieces.
If you search for "Grace McCance Snyder" you can see pictures of a quilt
that she made. The name of the quilt is "Petit Point Baskets" and it has
85,789 pieces. All done by hand. It is absolutely amazing. So is her
story, told by (I believe) one of her daughters or granddaughters.
(Pioneer Girl, Life on the Prairie)

Have fun and think about a lot of the history behind quilts made with
tiny scraps and such. VBG

Pati, in Phx

Leftover Baby Quilt. John Quilting 17 February 12th 07 08:12 PM
Want some leftover Eterna? Felice Friese Needlework 3 May 3rd 06 10:07 PM
leftover scraps Helen in MN Quilting 8 November 13th 05 12:52 AM
Crazy leftover slippers Tuulia Yarn 4 December 27th 03 09:56 PM