Sewing and Quilting

Old March 17th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Sewing and Quilting

I am about the same John. I make shirts for dh because it makes him
feel good. I'm not saving any money but the idea that I would go to
all the work and he can brag is worth it. For myself, I mostly wear
jeans and t-shirts in my glamorous life. I don't think I could make
them for less than I can buy them. Occasionally I'll make a dress or
pj's or some such thing and it seems a chore but when finished I am
usually glad I went to the trouble. I really liked making little girls
fussy dresses. The wee ones don't wear fussy much anymore so there
isn't much use. Quilting is my favorite but sometimes other stuff
works out once I get going on it.
TAria

John wrote:

How many of you quilt and sew clothes, also? The reason I ask is that
I decided to make myself a shirt before I started another quilting
project. After I got into it, I could not wait to finish it off and
get started on another quilting project. I seem to have lost some of
the joy I used to get from sewing clothes that I had felt for many
years. Does that happen to anybody else, or is it just me? It was the
first thing that I had sewn for a couple of months since I had taken
up quilting with a passion. I assume It will return in time as the
need to produce something in the clothing realm happens. I hope so, as
I used to really like to sew clothes. Ah well, we shall see what
happens.

John

Old March 17th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I flip from one to the other, maybe even have both (and more) going at the
same time. Not in a hurry, mind you, but simply pick up whichever one calls
me at the moment. The garment sewing skills will be useful in your quilting
and certainly, the precision and creativity of quilting will improve your
clothing stitching.
My sister is traveling soon to visit her 3 year-old granddaughter. She
asked if I would make a nightgown for the Baby Cabbage Patch doll she was
taking. Sure. Would I make a matching one for the 3 year-old? I'd love
to. Pushing her luck, she asked if I'd make a quilt for the Baby Cabbage
Patch doll. Do any of you have the remotest idea what size quilt is
appropriate for a 12" doll? Polly O'Esther

Old March 17th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

I find ready-made clothing is so inexpensive it really doesn't pay for me to
make my own clothes, except for those things I want that I can't buy, like a
full length bathrobe that actually hits the floor (I'm 5'9"). I have the
pattern, I just can't seem to find fabric I like, so I haven't made it yet.
My mom made almost all of my clothes growing up, though. In the 70s, if you
were overweight, clothing manufacturers also thought you were 5'0". Remember
half-sizes, anyone?

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

ups.com...

Old March 17th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Erin

On 17 Mar, 20:15, "John" wrote:
How many of you quilt and sew clothes, also? The reason I ask is that
I decided to make myself a shirt before I started another quilting
project. After I got into it, I could not wait to finish it off and
get started on another quilting project. I seem to have lost some of
the joy I used to get from sewing clothes . . .

I like to switch back and forth between the two. If I've been making
quilts (I make art quilts, btw, not traditional) then I like to "take
a break" and make an item of clothing or two for a change. After a
while I am ready to go back to quilting. I usually have more than one
of each type of project going on as well. No boredom here!!!

:-)

Erin
http://arkivarie.livejournal.com/

Old March 17th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Thank you, Jeanne. Don't need a gator sitter just now. They have full
bellies and smell suspiciously of coconut. I think it may be from the
suntan lotion the Spring Break touristers are using. Polly

"nzlstar*" wrote lol, Ms Polly O'Esther,
i'd think about 10" long X 8" rectangle should work, or there abouts.
how about using a 6" block, add 2 x 1" borders top and bottom.
then 1" border down each side to frame the block.
no more or it will be over her head, eh.
i'd birth it too, why worry bout bindings for a doll.
i wonder why she didnt just ask for all three in one go tho, lol.
let her babysit the gators while you sew. )

Old March 17th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Or chubbies?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Valerie in FL" wrote in message
.. .
I find ready-made clothing is so inexpensive it really doesn't pay for me
to make my own clothes, except for those things I want that I can't buy,
like a full length bathrobe that actually hits the floor (I'm 5'9"). I have
the pattern, I just can't seem to find fabric I like, so I haven't made it
yet. My mom made almost all of my clothes growing up, though. In the 70s,
if you were overweight, clothing manufacturers also thought you were 5'0".
Remember half-sizes, anyone?

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

ups.com...

Old March 17th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

And thank you, Patti. I was thinking this size quilt is much more your
field than mine. Chances are that the little quilt will be lost in its
first half-hour. On the other hand, it could wind up being Very Important.
I tossed together a doll for her grandmother about 50 years ago that she
cherished. It's still around to remind me that you just never know. Polly

"Patti" wrote in message
Half the size of a crib quilt, I should think Polly. Given that new-borns
are a couple of feet long, and the doll is half that!!

Old March 18th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
offkilterquilter

John wrote:

How many of you quilt and sew clothes, also? The reason I ask is that
I decided to make myself a shirt before I started another quilting
project. After I got into it, I could not wait to finish it off and
get started on another quilting project. I seem to have lost some of
the joy I used to get from sewing clothes that I had felt for many
years. Does that happen to anybody else, or is it just me? It was the
first thing that I had sewn for a couple of months since I had taken
up quilting with a passion. I assume It will return in time as the
need to produce something in the clothing realm happens. I hope so, as
I used to really like to sew clothes. Ah well, we shall see what
happens.

John

fantically waving both arms in the air

I started sewing my clothing when I was a mite of 5 - both parents
taught me how to sew, and it was really the only way to keep a growin
child in clothing that fit when 1 was a teacher and 1 decided to start
his own boat building business!! I've been sewing clothing ever since,
and now I have my own children that i sew for!! I didn't start quilting
until 2000...when a fellow teacher at the YMCA told me she was holding a
beginner's class and that if I could sew clothing, quilting would be a
breeze for me. Well, that's where it started and I'm still doing both
(lately more clothing that quilting, but right now I'm trying to get
work done on the second stained glass banner and 4 signature quilts for
a different family at church). My interest fluctuates greatly.
Sometimes I want to do nothing but quilt, and other times I want to only
make clothing for the family because , well....I have the fabric and
patterns already, I might as well use them before the kids outgrow
everything!!

Larisa
Old March 18th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
offkilterquilter

Polly Esther wrote:

I flip from one to the other, maybe even have both (and more) going at the
same time. Not in a hurry, mind you, but simply pick up whichever one calls
me at the moment. The garment sewing skills will be useful in your quilting
and certainly, the precision and creativity of quilting will improve your
clothing stitching.
My sister is traveling soon to visit her 3 year-old granddaughter. She
asked if I would make a nightgown for the Baby Cabbage Patch doll she was
taking. Sure. Would I make a matching one for the 3 year-old? I'd love
to. Pushing her luck, she asked if I'd make a quilt for the Baby Cabbage
Patch doll. Do any of you have the remotest idea what size quilt is
appropriate for a 12" doll? Polly O'Esther

12"x15" should cover the CPK nicely. DD has one that my MOther gave
her...she hasn't asked me to make anything for the doll yet, but I *do*
have patterns...just in case!
Old March 18th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
trisha f

Not only do I quilt, but I make my own skirts, dresses, and jumpers; I
made pajamas for 7 grandchildren for Christmas; I make matching
pillowcases for almost all the gift quilts I finish - saves on
wrapping; I make dresses and shorts for the kids; and, now that my
granddaughters are older, I am making dolls and doll clothes as well.
I made shades for my kitchen last summer because I couldn't find what
I wanted. I make pillows, table runners, place mats...anything that
involves a piece of fabric, needle and thread are fair game!

I just have to be near a machine or I go bats, and I can't do too much
of any one thing at a time.

Trisha in MO