wedging?

Old September 6th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
thepubguy

Default wedging?

what is everybodys opinion on wedging clay fresh from the bag? is it
necessary?
thanks for your help.
thepubguy

Old September 6th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

When I use plastic clay from the supplier I don't usually wedge it. If
it feels a bit *short* I may spiral knead it, but not always. The stuff
I get usually throws very well straight out of the bag.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article JSnLg.520482$IK3.498053@pd7tw1no, thepubguy
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old September 6th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
slively

I agree--clay bagged and shipped from the supplier ordinarily needs not
be wedged, although I choose to spiral wedge before use to get a feel
for that particular clay body. To me, it just "loosens" it up a bit,
warms it some (in my view), and readies it for work.
slively
Oklahoma
USA

Old September 6th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"thepubguy" wrote in message
what is everybodys opinion on wedging clay fresh from the bag? is it
necessary?
thanks for your help.
thepubguy

My teacher said to always wedge to make the clay uniform. Even if it has
been wrapped in plastic, the humidity in the clay will vary if it hasn't
been wedged. Mind you, that is if you are going to throw it. We don't wedge
if we are hand-building and such.

Marianne

Old September 6th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

Bubbles_ wrote:
"thepubguy" wrote in message
what is everybodys opinion on wedging clay fresh from the bag? is it
necessary?
thanks for your help.
thepubguy

My teacher said to always wedge to make the clay uniform. Even if it has
been wrapped in plastic, the humidity in the clay will vary if it hasn't
been wedged. Mind you, that is if you are going to throw it. We don't wedge
if we are hand-building and such.

Marianne

I always wedge because it does soften it up a bit and you have to form
it into a ball or cone shape to throw it anyway. Also, I have found
air pockets in my new bagged clay, so I think it is best to always
wedge before you throw. Slabs and hand building, not necessary.
Sandi

Old September 8th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Brad Sondahl

thepubguy wrote:
what is everybodys opinion on wedging clay fresh from the bag? is it
necessary?
thanks for your help.
thepubguy

Clay fresh from the bag has generally sat for a couple months (the
longer the better), and is usually a bit stiff, regardless of its true
plasticity. Some potters I know will throw the bag onto the floor to
get it softened. I always wedge it a bit to get it softened. Good
exercise, too, although if the clay is too stiff wrist strain can result.
I once read that some top Japanese potter complained that U.S. potters
don't wedge their clay enough. I think it really depends on how plastic
your clay is without doing a lot of wedging. Even if you don't wedge,
you usually get the clay moving in forming it into balls (or cones).
The same issue comes up with kneading bread dough--more is better, but a
short while will suffice.
Brad Sondahl

--
For my comics, pottery how-to and musical videos, original art, music,
pottery, and literature, visit my homepage

getting started at home [email protected] Pottery 12 January 8th 06 06:41 PM
Japanese (coil?) wedging problems Bubbles Pottery 5 June 2nd 05 12:07 AM
how to wedge? [email protected] Pottery 10 December 23rd 04 03:10 PM
teaching adults Caroline Pottery 5 June 29th 04 11:40 PM
Wedging Table Questions Clayslinger Pottery 6 August 13th 03 03:59 AM