Banned from the Garden!--very long

Old July 30th 03, 12:17 PM
Teri George

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:11:14 -0500, fishnstitch
wrote:

I detest raised doughnuts and
abhor glazed doughnuts, hence my opinion of Krispy Kreme.

Not wanting to see a generalization - I mean, it's not as though KK
only makes raised and glazed donuts. Karen, what do you think of KK's
unglazed, plain cake donut and their sugared cake donut?

Personally, I'm a big fan of plain cake donuts, myself! And while I
probably did try a KK donut some 20 years ago when I lived in the
South, I don't remember them at all and will be very interested in
trying their donuts when they come here.

Teri ~~ Secure online shopping now available
at CraftSoft Publications/Design Encounters Kits
http://www.craftsoft.com
Remove "knot" to email.
Old July 30th 03, 12:23 PM
Teri George

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:59:33 -0400, Ellice wrote:

On 7/25/03 11:43 AM,"Teri George" posted:
*snip*

When it was announced that they're building a Krispy Kreme here the
local news station bought some (from a city an hour away) and did a
blind taste test versus Tim Horton's (HUGE donut chain here in
Canada). Four out of 5 people chose the Krispy Kreme as the better
donut.

Ouch - but Tim's is an icon - so they still must be patronized ;^)

LOL!! Well, there is one on almost every corner, here! (And I'm not
that far off from from telling the truth!!) But while I do like
donuts I seldom have them (It's been a couple of years since the last
one.) so now I'm just happily waiting for the new KK to come along.

Old July 30th 03, 05:59 PM
Gillian Murray

Yeah,

We usually discuss it first. We looked at lots of cars, before he fell in
love with his Monte Carlo SS. Fair enough, because I wanted a pick-up, so we
got one of those for me. We just enjoy talking over the pros and cons of
items. Needless to say, he picks out all the computer stuff, and I picked
out my casseroles ( Le Creuset).

Gillian
"clancy" wrote in message
I guess we're all very different .. my husband would never think of going
out and buying something so 'big' as a car or truck without checking with

me
first .. and vice versa ... that's just part of our marriage - now don't

get
me wrong, he does buy things without my 'permission' (control yourself

now,
Victoria) - but the biggies, no way. Well, come to think of it, he raised
his hand at an auction once and the auctioneer yelled 'Sold' - and that

was
his first horse. G

Sharon (N.B.)

"animaux" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:42:38 GMT, "Elizabeth Bonello"
wrote:

There is a very great difference between buying an SUV because one

needs
the
space to haul things and to let the pets have some roaming room during

long
trips and buying one to follow the fashionable "trend". If all one

does
is
transport children and adults, then a minivan or a full-size van is a

much
more sensible vehicle.

For you. In your opinion. For your reasons. Not everyone has to feel

that
way.

My husband wants to buy a truck because once every 3-4 years, we need

the
ability to haul large parcels/lumber. I told him it would be *much*

cheaper
to buy a car with good gas mileage for everyday use (he drives 50 miles
round-trip five days a week) and rent a small U-Haul truck for the
occasional times we need the space. It is an ongoing discussion in our
house ;^þ!

LittleBit

Back about 3 years ago, my next door neighbor was buying a new truck.

He
borrowed three different types, from three different dealers. Brought

them all
home. His wife had the final say. I remember saying to another

neighbor
that I
would never dictate to my grown up man husband what type vehicle he

"could" buy.
As if I am his mother. Maybe that's why our marriage is a good one. We

are not
so enmeshed in every single decision. He gets to drive what he wants.

trust
my husband. Eventually it came out that this neighbor's wife didn't

want
her
husband in anything manly.

So, along with the dumbing down of America, we are also turning men into
children who have to obey their wives, or else. How is this referred

to??? The
Oprahization of America?

Old July 30th 03, 06:55 PM
Patricia Bage

LOL, I have just returned from the USA I was exhibiting at the Charlotte
Needlework show, My friend was driving me back to the hotel, when all of a
sudden the car screeched to a halt, she did a U turn in the road - "what
ever has happen?" It was the light was flashing at the Krispy Kreme donuts
shop!!!
Yes they are wonderful!!!!

Patricia
www.patricia-ann-designs.com

Old July 30th 03, 09:10 PM
Christy

Gillian,
I love my mishmash of All-Clad and Calphalon pans, but have yet to invest in
any quality bakeware pans(no need since my old oven hasn't worked properly
the last 3 years). Are Le Creuset really as wonderful as everyone says they
are? They're so darn HEAVY, how do you lift them out of the oven??

Christine

nk.net...

Old July 30th 03, 10:53 PM
Brenda Lewis

http://www.wendys-invest.com/
Wendy's International, Inc. is the corporate name. Each subsidiary has
its own officers. Wendy's headquarters is in Dublin, OH. Based on the
annual reports, the merger took place in 1995 and, according to
http://www.timhortons.com/ , Wendy's is the parent company. TDL Group
Ltd. (Canada) and T.H.D. Donut, Inc. (U.S.) do business as Tim Hortons.

Not affiliated but a huge fan of Wendy's food and dying to try Tim Hortons.

Tara D wrote:
Actually, it's the other way around. :-) The parent company is TDL
(Tim Donut Limited). IIRC, the U.S, head office is in Ohio.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 31st 03, 02:21 AM
PaulaB

The Royals have good giveaways! In 1988, when we were househunting
there we went to a game on Mother's Day and every mom who came through
the gates got a 4 oz. box of Russell Stover chocolates. (Their
corporate hq was in KC. Dunno if it still is but I s'pose it is.) We
have gotten all kinds of great stuff there.

I LOVE KK's!!! I have always loved glazed donuts the best and KKs are
just the best. The closest one here is an hour and half away but we
do go that way fairly often! Mmmmm. Even after the pigout meal we
just had at our favorite Mexican place tonight for my DS's 20th bd, a
hot KK still sounds great!
Paula B.

The local Krispy Kreme franchises have an advertising deal with the Kansas
City Royals (baseball). If the Royals get 12 hits in a game, you can redeem
your ticket for a free dozen of glazed raised donuts. If you tune into the
game on the radio, you can tell when there are nearly 12 hits because the
crowd starts chanting "Do-nuts, do-nuts, do-nuts"! If you try to redeem
your ticket right after the game, the lines are almost a block long.

Old July 31st 03, 03:46 AM
Miftosyo

animaux wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:08:01 -0300, wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. I was the one who picked the
cars, paid the bills, decided all the main issues in our marriage.
Probably mostly because he was away in the navy for so many years and
never there to do it.

I am not slighting wives like you. You had a very special situation in that he
was in the service and roles switched to accommodate it. For that I thank you
as a military wife, and though gone, I thank him for what he did.

We have no children, virtually no stress, no money issues, so there are a lot of
factors which give us freedom in our marriage. However, we have a deal if either
of us want to buy something for more than a hundred dollars, we discuss it
first. It's a respect thing. I don't go shopping and "sneak" the stuff in.
Mark is not a jerk and I would never treat him like that.

Did that bother my husband ? Not at all. He was a very secure man
(had to be with a wife like me) and he just considered himself
fortunate that I did it and he did not have to bother with it all. We
just regarded it as allocation of duties, it had nothing to do with
dumbing down etc.

Yes, but you are not in the United States where men are loathed for some of the
strangest things. It's the "us against them" mob mentality I'm referring to.
In our house, nobody knows who does what. If Mark sees the laundry basket full,
he does the laundry, folds it and puts it away. He does a better job than me.
And he doesn't believe in folding underwear, so he puts it in my drawer and I
don't have anything to say. Why would I say anything? How dumb would that be?
I strongly believe men don't do things for their wives because they fear being
scolded or told they did it wrong or do it MY way... If I am out gardening on a
Sunday morning, he will clean up the kitchen and vacuum for me. He works, I do
most of the house stuff...but he still helps me out a lot more than most of the
husbands I know. It's a battle in many homes, a battle I would prefer not to
have. I'd rather be alone.

The dumping down is absolutely happening here in the U.S. and it's starting to
glare out loud. Maybe Dianne can be more articulate about that.

What did you mean Oprahization ? I didn't get that, but then again I
didn't get the Lance thing the other day either ! Explain it to me
Vic.

Sheena

Oprah Winfrey. She has a cult following of women who live and breath by her
every word, cry in her presence like she was the Dalai Lama. This following is
made primarily of an all female audience. Oprah is an egomaniacal woman who
thinks she is "born for greatness," (a direct quote from her). Again, it's a
hard one to explain. It's as if men are put in diapers and are so beaten down,
they are not allowed to be men. Men (not all, but lets say many) do man things,
need man time, their spot, or room, or place, or way of doing things.

Oprahization would be if my husband made the bed unlike the way I do, then teach
him how MY WAY of doing it is how it needs to be done. I never, ever complain
how he made the bed, nor do I attempt to "teach" him how to do it. He makes it
the way he makes it. I make it differently, but how important is it for me to
correct him? Not very important. Blankets are flat, sheet is under blankets,
bed made.

The term Oprahization was started by, I believe, Rush Limbaugh. He is a right
wing conservative (Republican Party mouthpiece) radio talk show host. Of all
those guys I admire him the most. He is NOT hate radio as Hannity or O'Reily
are. He's brash, but he's right on certain issues, having a good sense of humor.

One of the Oprahizations is that women want their men to be more like women.
They want men to be "sensitive." Well, I like men. I like a big strong man.
Okay, so Mark is only a mere 6'3" 200 pounds (!) but he too is sure of himself
and his sexuality and he carries himself like a man. He has feelings, will cry
at a sad movie, sobbed with me when we had to put down our pets and is my soul
mate as we get all excited about our hummingbirds. What he isn't is some
trendy idiot who is "sensitive" so he can "get" a woman. Oprahization.

Oprahization also refers to the touchy feely confessional culture
that emerged in the wake of Oprah. Bill Clinton has been called the
Oprah president because his touchy feely style showed the Oprahization
of politics. She's had a huge impact on the culture.
Old July 31st 03, 08:03 PM
Dr. Brat

Ellice wrote:
On 7/29/03 1:42 PM,"Elizabeth Bonello"
posted:
*snip*

My husband wants to buy a truck because once every 3-4 years, we need the
ability to haul large parcels/lumber. I told him it would be *much* cheaper
to buy a car with good gas mileage for everyday use (he drives 50 miles
round-trip five days a week) and rent a small U-Haul truck for the
occasional times we need the space. It is an ongoing discussion in our
house ;^þ!

[snip great story about moving a bed]

I'm a big believer in renting a u-haul occassionally - it's certainly
cheaper than either damaging your own self, vehicle, or in your case, paying
for all the extra gas, etc, of a vehicle bigger than you regularly need.

This is our rationale both for having only one car (we can rent a second
one when we need it and in 3 years we have yet to spend more on rentals
than we save just on the insurance for the second car) and for having a
car that it slightly smaller than my husband can drive comfortably.
He's over 6'4" and had been driving our old Jetta but complained that he
couldn't drive it for more than an hour at a time without getting
cramped. So we looked at a lot of other cars and came back to the idea
that he doesn't drive much at all, much less over an hour at a time (he
telecommutes to work). So we decided that the difference in car
payments between a new Jetta and our next choice (a used Mercedes M
class) would more than pay for renting a larger car for long trips.

The hardest part about it is when it comes time to make that rental,
actually doing it. It's not a matter of "Oh my gosh! $40 a day." It's
a matter of "ok, here's number X of the 20 rentals I can afford this
year before I have spent my insurance savings." I usually have to work
hard to keep that in mind. *grin*

Elizabeth

a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
Hellooo! Anyone remember me? (long...epic-ly long ;o) Kyla Beads 16 May 23rd 04 10:28 PM
THIS THURSDAY 4/22 - Long Island Pen Club Meeting Nancy Handy Rubberstamps 1 April 24th 04 07:37 AM
AD: Millenium Garden Workshops Stephen Polymer Clay 0 August 16th 03 03:33 AM