Troch Question

Old February 11th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mark Russell

Default Troch Question

I just got interested in Glass working by reading through my daughter's
bead magazine. There was an article on making beads from glass
(lampwork I think is the term they used). I am an amateur blacksmith and
was wondering if I could use an Oxy-Acetylene welding torch to do this
work. I am also looking for web pages describing setting up a glass
work area and recommended tools for an initial setup.

Also is there a list of places to go and take classes in this art form?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark Russell
Old February 11th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Mark Russell" wrote in message
k.net...
I just got interested in Glass working by reading through my daughter's
bead magazine. There was an article on making beads from glass
(lampwork I think is the term they used). I am an amateur blacksmith and
was wondering if I could use an Oxy-Acetylene welding torch to do this
work. I am also looking for web pages describing setting up a glass
work area and recommended tools for an initial setup.

Also is there a list of places to go and take classes in this art form?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark Russell

Try this forum for starters: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/ There are
others, try Googling for "beadwork & forum".

Old February 11th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 12:07 pm, Mark Russell wrote:
I just got interested in Glass working by reading through my daughter's
bead magazine. There was an article on making beads from glass
(lampwork I think is the term they used). I am an amateur blacksmith and
was wondering if I could use an Oxy-Acetylene welding torch to do this
work. I am also looking for web pages describing setting up a glass
work area and recommended tools for an initial setup.

Also is there a list of places to go and take classes in this art form?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark Russell

You can use MAPP gas, propane, natural gas, oxy/gas, or oxy/propane -
but you can NOT use oxy/acetylene. You'll also need a different torch.

Old February 11th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Steve Ackman

Default Torch Question

In t, on Sun, 11 Feb
2007 20:07:47 GMT, Mark Russell wrote:
I just got interested in Glass working by reading through my daughter's
bead magazine. There was an article on making beads from glass
(lampwork I think is the term they used). I am an amateur blacksmith and
was wondering if I could use an Oxy-Acetylene welding torch to do this
work. I am also looking for web pages describing setting up a glass
work area and recommended tools for an initial setup.

Also is there a list of places to go and take classes in this art form?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark Russell

You can use oxy-propane through a standard
oxyacetylene (cutting) torch provided your acetylene
regulator is rated for propane as well. Apparently
some aren't.
(My Harris regulator works fine with propane.)

No-photo description of beginning beadmaking
http://twovoyagers.com/metamorphosis/faq/faqvii.html
or
the same article with pictures using a Uniweld cutting
torch
http://wizard.dyndns.org/stackman/beadtest.htm
Old February 11th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:23:17 -0500, Steve Ackman wrote:
You can use oxy-propane through a standard
oxyacetylene (cutting) torch provided your acetylene
regulator is rated for propane as well. Apparently
some aren't.

Make sure your hoses are rated for propane, too. It's my understanding
that most standard welding-type hoses are not.

Old February 12th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

wrote in message You can use MAPP gas, propane,
natural gas, oxy/gas, or oxy/propane -
but you can NOT use oxy/acetylene. You'll also need a different torch.

Aw, Geez! Now Brady's a freakin' bead-making expert, too.

Old February 12th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Mark Russell" wrote in message
k.net...
I just got interested in Glass working by reading through my daughter's
bead magazine. There was an article on making beads from glass
(lampwork I think is the term they used). I am an amateur blacksmith and
was wondering if I could use an Oxy-Acetylene welding torch to do this
work. I am also looking for web pages describing setting up a glass
work area and recommended tools for an initial setup.

Also is there a list of places to go and take classes in this art form?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark Russell

There's another newsgroup that is all beadmakers. Maybe it's rec.crafts.
beads? It's a shrill bunch of PMS-laden artistes, but if you act nice you
might get some good advice. Just don't infer that they are a bunch of
nitwit, no-talent beadmakers unless you have a castration wish. Ha!

Old February 12th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Steve Ackman

In rkrrrr.com, on
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:54:31 -0500, Ron Parker wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:23:17 -0500, Steve Ackman wrote:
You can use oxy-propane through a standard
oxyacetylene (cutting) torch provided your acetylene
regulator is rated for propane as well. Apparently
some aren't.

Make sure your hoses are rated for propane, too. It's my understanding
that most standard welding-type hoses are not.

Right. Propane apparently tends to dry-rot hoses
designed strictly for acetylene. That said, I used
one for over a year without any signs of rot or
leakage. Sometimes you use what you've got even when
you're supposed to know better. ;-)

good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Newbie question - drilling stones Polly Stewart Jewelry 0 January 11th 05 07:21 AM
Needle Hitching Question Jason Lowe Knots 2 November 11th 03 08:02 PM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM