Hexacon help here?

Old May 6th 04, 04:25 PM
Michele Blank

Default Hexacon help here?

bendheim west 800 9003499 (near Oakland)
53-HT499X is the 5/8 extra long chisel tip. (20$)
the set screw is listed as a combo with the element but if you ask??? m

"Sundog" wrote in message
ink.net...
I seem to have saved all my info in a really secure location.... I can't
find it.

OK, so who is a recommended supplier/dealer where I can get some 5/8"

shaft
Hexacon soldering iron tips for my 200 watt iron? West coast dealer
preferred for shipping expense....but all suggestions are checked out.

And how about that set screw in the collar that holds the tip in place....

just drilled mine out (stubborn little twerp)... seems like that sissy
metric system or something.... no one here can match it. Does anyone know
the size + thread count? I found an oddball machine screw in my bucket o'
bolts that does fit, but still hoping for a set-screw instead. Thanks...
Regards, Jacques Bordeleau

Old May 6th 04, 04:41 PM
Sundog

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
bendheim west 800 9003499 (near Oakland)
53-HT499X is the 5/8 extra long chisel tip. (20$)
the set screw is listed as a combo with the element but if you ask??? m

I can get the element combo??? Hmmmm.... wonder if that other old iron is
still around...the one I destroyed years ago by unscrewing the element when
I didn't know what not to do...heheheh.

I have 2 of those extra-long chisel tips still new...unused.... I generally
use the normal chisel. But at these prices I'm going to try the extra-long
ones.... today! Heheheheheh.

Thanks, M...... take care....;-)

JB

Old May 6th 04, 11:14 PM
vic

Try www.hexaconelectric.com
Old May 7th 04, 01:41 AM
Scribble

If you want to go to a little bit of extra trouble...

I drilled and re-tapped all my irons - including 250 and 175 watt hexacons -
to use slightly larger, non-metric threaded set screws (stainless steel,
from Home Depot). Got tired of stripping the original set screws with a
flathead screwdriver, so I went with allen-style set screws.

Now I can torque the tips in nice and snug, without worrying about being
able to loosen them afterwards. I use a little bit (a very little bit) of
anti-sieze on the threads of the set screw and on the collet, but never on
the tip itself, as I have seen others do over the years.

~s

Old May 7th 04, 04:58 AM
Sundog

Cool.... I am on the lookout for allen-socket set screws, if I get
lucky..... not optomistic though. The bolt I do have has a large enough head
not to strip the slot out I believe. I may well re-thread the hole
though....good idea!

Regards, Jacques Bordeleau

=====================
ink.net...

Old May 7th 04, 11:16 AM
Moonraker

"Sundog" wrote in message
link.net...
Cool.... I am on the lookout for allen-socket set screws, if I get
lucky..... not optomistic though. The bolt I do have has a large enough

head
not to strip the slot out I believe. I may well re-thread the hole
though....good idea!

Regards, Jacques Bordeleau

Almost any hardware store will have them. Look in the section that has all
the little "drawers" that pull out. They'll have the specialty springs,
keyways, automotive fasteners and the like. I betcha my local HomeDepot
will have both metric and ASE stainless setscrews if you can't find them out
there in the wilderness. Let me know if you can't find what you want...I'll
be happy to get them and drop them in the mail.

=====================
ink.net...

Old May 7th 04, 04:20 PM
Sundog

Thanks Moon ... I know tha little 'drawers', and they still didn't have them
at the closest combo-store .... but there's a bigger selection down the
valley I'll check out shortly. Maybe they'll have the metric ... maybe even
stainless! Heheheheheh

Still looking for the least expensive dealer for the 5/8" tips .... anyone?

(What happened? I thought these tips were cheap ... but it's been a long
time)

Thanks, Jacques Bordeleau

==========================
"Moonraker" wrote in message
t...

"Sundog" wrote in message
link.net...
Cool.... I am on the lookout for allen-socket set screws, if I get
lucky..... not optomistic though. The bolt I do have has a large enough

head
not to strip the slot out I believe. I may well re-thread the hole
though....good idea!

Regards, Jacques Bordeleau

Almost any hardware store will have them. Look in the section that has

all
the little "drawers" that pull out. They'll have the specialty springs,
keyways, automotive fasteners and the like. I betcha my local HomeDepot
will have both metric and ASE stainless setscrews if you can't find them

out
there in the wilderness. Let me know if you can't find what you

want...I'll
be happy to get them and drop them in the mail.

=====================
ink.net...

Old May 7th 04, 04:27 PM
Sundog

I'll elaborate.

I'm price shopping because of wild variations in the price I've seen. The
range so far is from $20 (Bendheim) to $45 (Sunshine Glass) .... Quite a
spread! Do I hear a $10 anywhere???????

Thanks kids, Jacques

==============
"Sundog" wrote in message
link.net...
Thanks Moon ... I know tha little 'drawers', and they still didn't have

them
at the closest combo-store .... but there's a bigger selection down the
valley I'll check out shortly. Maybe they'll have the metric ... maybe

even
stainless! Heheheheheh

Still looking for the least expensive dealer for the 5/8" tips ....

anyone?

(What happened? I thought these tips were cheap ... but it's been a long
time)

Thanks, Jacques Bordeleau

==========================
"Moonraker" wrote in message
t...

"Sundog" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

ink.net...

Old May 7th 04, 04:58 PM
Michele Blank

the 20$ is from the most recent wholesale price list, i will call and check
the current pricing in case it has changed. m

"Sundog" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'll elaborate.

I'm price shopping because of wild variations in the price I've seen. The
range so far is from $20 (Bendheim) to $45 (Sunshine Glass) .... Quite a
spread! Do I hear a $10 anywhere???????

Thanks kids, Jacques

==============
"Sundog" wrote in message
link.net...
Thanks Moon ... I know tha little 'drawers', and they still didn't have

them
at the closest combo-store .... but there's a bigger selection down the
valley I'll check out shortly. Maybe they'll have the metric ... maybe

even
stainless! Heheheheheh

Still looking for the least expensive dealer for the 5/8" tips ....

anyone?

(What happened? I thought these tips were cheap ... but it's been a long
time)

Thanks, Jacques Bordeleau

==========================
"Moonraker" wrote in message

[...]