Commercial Glassblowers?

Old September 1st 03, 04:12 PM
Mike Firth

don't care if it's cheap and not worth anything. They just want it
replaced and finding close replacements is impossible. I know of two
guys that do that kind of work and I was hoping to find others ... but
here people are just interested in arguing.

Another factor occurred to me while riding my bike to the grocery store,
this one almost unique to
glass blowing.
It is is tested with this question: "I'll be happy to make it, and I'll do
a good job, so I will put my artist's
mark on it [or in it], is that okay with you?"
If the answer is no, the guy wants it plain, then the obvious conclusion
is that he has valuable rinky dinks missing
glass and he wants to sell them as "possibly Lalique", or "I think it is
Tiffany" or whatever other weasel way of not
exactly saying what it is.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old September 1st 03, 06:06 PM
nJb

GOD wrote:

There is something called sentimental value and sometimes a glass part
to some decorative item that is of great family value may break. They
don't care if it's cheap and not worth anything. They just want it
replaced and finding close replacements is impossible. I know of two
guys that do that kind of work and I was hoping to find others ... but
here people are just interested in arguing.

Haven't seen a concrete example of what you want. How about a picture?
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old September 4th 03, 06:15 AM
Randy

I'm familiar w/ the lab equipment people but they only make standard parts

(most of them don't even blow glass) so they are useless to me.

You are obviously not to familiar with anything in glass. I'm a scientific
glass blower. (for better than 25 years) My specialty is building what is
not commercially available, along with repairs and alterations. A great
majority of my work has to be done to spec. I can not just through something
out there and call it art. All my work is blown by me with real glass and
real torches. My back log is close to 3 months of work. My average customer
is a Ph.D working for some Pharmaceutical CO., or some government funded
research facility. These people pay me good money for my services, and
cherish my work because of the rarity of good glass blowers.

Now, to put things in perspective so that you might get a clue. How much of
my time do you think I am willing to "donate" to your cause?
If I don't charge what I normally get for my time, I am then donating to
your cause...right? You see people like you with your little projects are
useless to me.

If a glassblower can't do that then what can they do?

I often work miracles.....

I know of two guys that do that kind of work and I was hoping to find

others ... but here people are just interested in arguing.

The people here gave you honest answers to your questions. Unfortunately the
answers weren't to your liking.

I'm sure the people you "already know" are sick of you coming around
whining about " why can't you do it cheaper" I'm sure they told you
something like "find some body else if you don't like it"
Which is exactly what I would tell you after giving you a price quote.

You might conceder changing your addy too, if you want people to take you
seriously

Now go in peace,

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech.