Troch Question

Old February 12th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
James Zapetis

Default Troch Question

Mark Russell wrote:

Chemosabe wrote:

wrote:

On Feb 11, 12:07 pm, Mark Russell wrote:

I just got interested in Glass working by reading through my daughter's
bead magazine. There was an article on making beads from glass
(lampwork I think is the term they used). I am an amateur blacksmith and
was wondering if I could use an Oxy-Acetylene welding torch to do this
work. I am also looking for web pages describing setting up a glass
work area and recommended tools for an initial setup.

Also is there a list of places to go and take classes in this art form?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark Russell

You can use MAPP gas, propane, natural gas, oxy/gas, or oxy/propane -
but you can NOT use oxy/acetylene. You'll also need a different torch.

As Steve noted, you can use an oxy/Ace torch if it's rated for
propane. BTW...what bead experience do you actually have? Me...I've
made many beads and have the equipment. I've taken classes from Alice
Zimmerman and Jennifer Albrecht.

I have no experience with glass or beads. I have a lot of experience
with metal, heat, coal fires, and oxy/acetylene welding. I live near
Pittsburgh, PA does any know of any where I can take a classes?

Well if you feel a three or four hour drive is worth a trip, More Fire
Studio in Rochester, NY does bead classes. Check the schedule of
classes at: http://www.morefireglass.com/

Jim

Old February 13th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Beede

In article ,
Mark Russell wrote:

Chemosabe wrote:
wrote:
[...]

http://www.pittsburghglasscenter.org/

They apparently do beads, and they do hot glass too. I've had
friends go there for classes, and they were *very* enthusiastic, and
that's traveling from Minnesota.

Mike Beede
Old February 13th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Mark Russell wrote:

I have no experience with glass or beads. I have a lot of experience
with metal, heat, coal fires, and oxy/acetylene welding. I live near
Pittsburgh, PA does any know of any where I can take a classes?

Try he

http://www.pittsburghglasscenter.org/

Jack
Old February 13th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mark Russell

Mike Beede wrote:
In article ,
Mark Russell wrote:

Chemosabe wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. That place is only about 1 hour from my house and
I did not even know it existed.

:-
Mark
Old February 15th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
jo

Moonraker wrote:
There's another newsgroup that is all beadmakers. Maybe it's rec.crafts.
beads? It's a shrill bunch of PMS-laden artistes, but if you act nice you
might get some good advice. Just don't infer that they are a bunch of
nitwit, no-talent beadmakers unless you have a castration wish. Ha!

Sounds like someone with experience

Mark, I'll suggest checking out the International Society of Glass
Beadmakers forum for your start-up information. You don't need to
become a member to use the forum, but it's moderated and you do need to
sign on. It's at isgb.org and they have classes listed in your area.

smartflix.com rents technical videos - Smircich Makes Beads is a good
place to start.

You can begin with just a $35 hot head torch and a one pound bottle of
mapp gas and see if this is something you are really interested in
before you spend much on a duel fuel torch, tools, and an annealing kiln
(or just take a class first). If you want to start with a duel fuel
torch, the Nortel Minor Burner ~$150 is a very commonly used surface mix
torch that is easy to resell if you decide beadmaking isn't for you.
You need a "T" rated fuel hose for it & the appropriate regulators.

You can see a basic beginners kit at howacoglass.com, but it is lacking
a pair of ACE 202 glasses, which you'll need to see thru the flare.
2 of the largest vendor sites: arrowsprings.com frantzartglass.com

Some good books to start with are Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins,
or More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking by James
Kervin for a more technical look at things - it covers stuff the others
don't.

Another forum to look at is wetcanvas.com under Glass Art.

jo

good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Newbie question - drilling stones Polly Stewart Jewelry 0 January 11th 05 07:21 AM
Needle Hitching Question Jason Lowe Knots 2 November 11th 03 08:02 PM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM