Sewing machine is mad at me.

Old October 27th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
GrammyKathy[_3_]

Default Sewing machine is mad at me.

I have a Brother sewing machine. When I put her up several months ago
she worked just fine. Now the top thread breaks if I tug on it.. It
is threaded correctly and is loose when I pull it by hand, but tight
when I sew. Changeing the stitch length and
tension doesn't help either. Any suggestions?

Old October 27th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 27/10/2010 20:53, GrammyKathy wrote:
I have a Brother sewing machine. When I put her up several months ago
she worked just fine. Now the top thread breaks if I tug on it.. It
is threaded correctly and is loose when I pull it by hand, but tight
when I sew. Changeing the stitch length and
tension doesn't help either. Any suggestions?

Hm... Clean the tension mechanism and check that the BOTTOM tension is
correct... Also make sure the needle is the correct size for the
thread, and undamaged...

Good luck! Not sure what else to suggest.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 27th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irondale

I have a Brother sewing machine. When I put her up several
months ago
she worked just fine. Now the top thread breaks if I tug
on it.. It
is threaded correctly and is loose when I pull it by hand,
but tight
when I sew. Changeing the stitch length and
tension doesn't help either. Any suggestions?

I'm not real good at the language needed here, but my SM
has two levels in the "up" department. When it's fully up,
the thread is good but if my SM is in the half way up, the
thread/tension is still there so I end up with broken
threads.

Hope this makes some sense. lol

Donna

Old October 27th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Could your thread be getting hung up on a rough edge on the spool?

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
o.uk...

Old October 27th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Both of my sewing machines have done that to me on occasion, and I
have never known the real reason. However, I have just figured that
perhaps that spool of thread "doesn't taste good", switched it for
another but identical spool, and the problem has gone away. I have no
idea, though . . .
Old October 28th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

On Oct 27, 2:53*pm, GrammyKathy wrote:
I have a Brother sewing machine. *When I put her up several months ago
she *worked just fine. *Now the top thread breaks if I tug on it.. It
is threaded correctly and is loose when I pull it by hand, but tight
when I sew. Changeing the stitch length and
tension doesn't help either. *Any suggestions?

Check to see if your needle is in correctly and you are using the
correct size needle for the thread you are using. It is possible that
it was installed backwards. Your thread could be catching on that
little cut on the spool. Clean out the tension discs because a very
small piece of thread could be caught in it. Get out your
instructions on how to thread your machine and follow each step. I
know, I know, you've threaded your machine a thousand times and know
how to thread it. Well you could be doing one step incorrectly. Ask
me how I know, giggle. And I've threaded machines for over 60 years.
check your bobbin to check if it has been installed correctly. Yes
you can install it backwards also.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old October 28th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Right! Mary. The fastest and easiest solution is to inspect the spool of
thread for faulty winding or rough edges. I have been poor enough to have
to wind a spool off onto bobbins when the spool was wonky; I have also been
annoyed enough to smack the spool into the trash. Hard. Polly

DD's sewing machine NightMist Quilting 1 March 14th 08 02:55 AM
Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
machine embroidery mad summer sale at stitches galore uk [email protected] Marketplace 0 July 31st 05 04:43 PM
my new sewing machine dreamboat Quilting 9 December 11th 04 08:08 PM