first baby block done

Old April 26th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default first baby block done

made the first of a planned 20 (so..woohoo! only 19 more to go) PP
blocks for a baby quilt. This is for DSs karate teachers who are
expecting their 3rd child in August.

http://photos.yahoo.com/nystitcher1972

last pictures in the quilting folder

There are also a couple of new ones in the family album.

Larisa

P.S. Karate teacher said she prefers earthy colors. Not *my*
preference, but I think the first block turned out fairly
decent...pattern was located on www.quilterscache.com "Japanese Lantern"
Old April 26th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I think it looks great! I don't get a baby quilt being earthy myself,
but it looks like you've got it and are doing a fantastic job thus far!

The orange belt eh? How fantastic is that? And isn't R just looking
beautiful in her little outfit? I love the shy moment photo!

Dannielle

Old April 26th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Dannielle wrote:
I think it looks great! I don't get a baby quilt being earthy myself,
but it looks like you've got it and are doing a fantastic job thus far!

The orange belt eh? How fantastic is that? And isn't R just looking
beautiful in her little outfit? I love the shy moment photo!

Dannielle

thanks Dannielle! I made R's outfit for the NY state fair before I ever
got pregnant with her. Told DH that little girls outfits are MUCH nicer
and prettier, with room for more creativity than boys outfits, so I was
going to do it.....at 2.5, she's finally able to wear it!

I have another picture of T breaking a board at karate - it was buddy
board break, so he wasn't in uniform or anything, but he had fun - even
if MOmmy was his buddy sigh.

Thanks for the comments about the earthy baby quilt.... The print in
the first block was the first fabric that I found, and I built out from
there. I have a nice butter yellow, some of the sage-olive green, the
"whatever-you-call-it" orangey-tan. I'm not sure that I like the bland
background fabric, but everything in my stash is bright...well, brighter
than the rest of the fabrics for the quilt sigh. I'm working this
out.....will probably do a couple of blocks a week, alternating with the
solider quilts, but since I don't have an exact date for the baby shower
(was supposed to be 5/13, but then the lady hosting remembered MOther's
Day!), I will probably work more on the baby quilt....make sense??

have one top finished, needs to be pressed and matched with backing,
have found more fabrics in my stash. Lady at church said
red/white/blue.....lady from soldiers angels said BRIGHT colors, and
suggested that red and blue would work.....good thing brights tend to
find their way to my house grin. However, this will deplete quilting
stash....but that could always be considered a good thing since it means
more that I can buy BEG.

Larisa
Old April 26th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Larisa,
Great block! Nice colors, too. One suggestion when PP, (and I couldn't
really tell from the photo if you had done this) keep the paper on the block
until all the blocks are sewn together or sashing has been added. When PP,
we don't always pay attention to where the bias is and it often ends up on
the outer edge of the block making it stretchy. We don't want that to
happen! Keeping the paper on also makes it easier - IMO - to sew them
together.
Make sense or more info than you wanted :-)

Laurie G.

Old April 26th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I just started making a few outfits for my DD. I'm not real good with
clothing, but I found some beautiful purple flower fabric that is
screaming to be a dress...so I'm off to Joann's with my 50% off coupon
this weekend to get the pattern I found for her. And the fabric was in
the pile of $2.97/yd at G Street, so it was a no-brainer to buy it!

I think your colors are perfect for earthy. I love earthy, but have
noticed that a lot of bright colors have found their way into my stash
as well. Especially batiks!

Deplete stash = more S.E.X. I wonder if I can convince my DH that this
is a good thing? Nah, we gotta have the money for nursery school this
fall. I'll stick to the $2.97/yard pile I guess!

Dannielle

Old April 26th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Donna in NE La. wrote:

Great block! And what cute kids you have!!

thank you and thank you :-)

Still can't get over the blonde hair, though...I was blonde until about
age 3, but DD, in the sunshine, looks like she has highlighted her
hair...tooo funny.....DS was a blonde until about age 4, though it
doesn't look like it in some of the pictures...he's now a light brunet
Old April 26th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Dannielle wrote:
Deplete stash = more S.E.X. I wonder if I can convince my DH that this
is a good thing? Nah, we gotta have the money for nursery school this
fall. I'll stick to the $2.97/yard pile I guess!

Dannielle

Hey!! I understand that..DD goes 1 day a week, called the Mother's
MOrning Out program.....for me, it will be mother's morning IN THE
SEWING ROOM!!!! only 3 hours, but I can get a lot done in 3 hours
grin. We will have the money for the year of tuition next paycheck,
but we are also working on getting DH into school (distance learning) so
that he can at least get his degree. That means that some of the things
we were going to do with/in the kitchen are being put on hold for a bit
(rolling kitchen island - custom installed, heavy-duty locking casters,
the french doors, a new dining room set - haven't found one that I liked
anyway). We also have to get a staircase built from the garage to the
bonus room, so I can indulge in clearance fabrics for a while, or else
hold off on quilts and forge a path through the clothing projects that
are waiting for me to get back to them.

It's no big thing, we work with what we have, when we have it :-) If
you need any help on the kids clothes, drop me a line, I've been making
clothes since DS was born... :-D

Larisa
Old April 26th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm learning with my PP blocks, remove the paper from the seam
allowance when joining pieces together. I had about 5 pieces to put
together to make one block, and when I joined them some of the paper
got stuck in those back little folds where I should have removed it
BEFORE putting them together. Experience is a great thing!

Dannielle

EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
Officially announcing the Evil Sunbonnet Sue block swap georg Quilting 8 April 4th 05 04:54 PM
The Rewards of Gifting a Baby Quilt Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 4 September 21st 03 01:42 PM
baby boots size Anna MCM Yarn 9 September 17th 03 03:33 PM
Stampola Newsletter - July 7, 2003 Mindy at Stampola Rubberstamps 0 July 8th 03 05:35 AM