About those Flying Geese

Old April 26th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default About those Flying Geese

oh yea, if it has Flying Geese or LIME in the subject i read it first.
that is still a rather odd finished size for them.
is there a pix of this project online somewhere to look at?
tis a shame you live waaaaaaay across the continent or i could swim round
one day for a Flying Geese sew-in with ya. yup, i could see us now, rotary
cutters at the ready, in our pj's of course, cups of tea/coffee always there
when needed, cutting, sewing, ironing like mad women. if i could do 150 in
two days on my own, the two of us should be able to knock out at least 500
or more. once your on a roll they 'fly' so to speak out of the machine. can
one ever have enough of those wee little honkers??
wooooooohooooooo, honk honk!!!!
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Jeanne:
I KNEW this would catch your attention!! G
You are right ... the dimensions I gave are a tad off. (That's what I get
for measuring in a hurry, in low light!) I just measured again. The raw
size is 5" by 2.75" .... finishes to 4.5" by 2.25" .... that is the
proportion you mentioned.

It will be quite a while before the main group is finished, as I have no
deadline. So far I have 25. Those will eventually be a quilt or maybe
borders for another project. I am using Autumn color way and coc scraps.
The lesser group are meant to be included as filler in a BOM currently
under way, so I am using my BOM fabric. I am not sure how many I'll need;
I've made 16. Left over will go into the Autumn Geese group. That top
should be finished by end of year. For both of these projects, I just do
a couple every time I have the SM going for some thing else.
Honk! PAT in VA/USA

nzlstar* wrote:
hey Pat,
ah Flying Geese, my very favourite quilt block/unit.
honk, honk!!!
i too use the no waste method.
the first time i did about 150 in a weekend just kept chain cutting,
sewing, ironing, cutting, sewing, ironing and soon as a flash i was all
done.
tho your numbers confuse me a bit.....
an unfinished 5 x 2.5 inch will give you a 4.5 x 2 inch FG.
this is odd as FG should be half as wide as it is long or vice versa
depending on how you look at it.
the easiest way is to decide the finished size first.
then use long side +1.25" for the big sq
and use the short side +7/8" for the four small sqs.
this is assuming you sew good scant 1/4" seams.
if not you can increase the size of those a wee bit to suit and trim.
i just hate trimming so i take care with those scant seams.
good luck and i for one would love to see them all finished when your
done.
honk honk!!!
cheers,
jeanne

Old April 26th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The directions came from my friend who got
the all from a German Quilting Magazine. She
translated to American English and to inches.
Maybe in the original (Centimeters) it was
not an odd measurement. Even so, it is coming
out okay. I just realized I may need to do a
different measurement for the BOM set ... to
go along with the 3" increments we have
established for the BOM. Good thing I noticed
this NOW ... and I thank you for comments
that alerted me to the potential problem. For
the 'who knows' project, size doesn't' matter.
PAT in VA/USA
PS: I also LOVE LIME!! Woo Hoo!

Flying Geese problems frood Quilting 27 September 7th 05 06:01 PM
flying geese direction AliceW Quilting 11 January 3rd 05 07:30 PM
flying geese and pressing Sandy Foster Quilting 4 January 1st 05 09:34 AM
Flying geese made easy! No waste! Check out my tutorial Terbear Quilting 19 June 23rd 04 04:56 AM
As requested...pic of flying geese heart Jalynne Quilting 5 January 11th 04 01:07 AM