OT Just for fun- oddball sandwiches

Old October 15th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Default OT Just for fun- oddball sandwiches

I haven't had a liverwurst sandwich in years.G will forgo the onion
and peanut butter on it though. VBG

One of my favorite sandwiches is beef tongue. I know it sounds gross,
but tongue is really tender and good. Best cooked in a pressure cooker,
with seasoning. Cool it, peel it and slice for sandwiches with good
mustard. yummy..........I think I need to go find the one that is in the
freezer and cook it tonight. Rick is out of town and I can have it all
to myself.

Pati, in Phx

Tina wrote:
I guess I'm the real odd-ball of the bunch.... a German descendent in
the deep south of Texas,
raised on liverwurst sandwiches, mayonnaise on one side of the bread,
peanut butter on the other and liverwurst in the middle. Sometimes a
slice of sharp cheddar, other times a slice of purple onion.

Not a sandwich I have frequently anymore, but one I still get a
craving for about once every six months!

Tina

Old October 15th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
rusty rusty is offline
Junior Member

On Oct 15, 12:57?pm, Rita in MA wrote:
Not at all gross, especially if you sprinkle with freshly ground black
pepper. Yum!
Rita L.
Sherry wrote:

Heh. White bread, Miracle Whip, and a big fat slice of vine-ripe
tomato. (OK, I know that's gross)

Sherry

-------AND, stand over the kitchen sink as you eat it!!!!

rusty

Old October 15th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default OT Mayo vs Miracle Whip (was OT Just for fun- oddball sandwiches)

In article ,
"teleflora" wrote:

We were the opposite! My brother and I would eat sandwiches bare before
eating that nasty Hellman's at my Grandma's house!

In fact, I wouldn't even try real mayonnaise until just a few short years
ago. My mom brainwashed me into thinking Miracle Whip ruled.

I thought the same thing about real butter for years and years. That's one
taste change I wish I'd never embraced. I eat way more bread and butter
since discovering the joys of the real stuff. I never ate bread with my
meal until then. Now I can eat a whole loaf. Ummm.... butter.

Cindy

I don't think I've ever had Hellman's, but I also grew up on Miracle
Whip and thinking it was the real thing. When I eventually got a food
processor, I found out how easy it is to make *real* mayo, and how
delicious it is. However, I think my all-time favorite spread on
sandwiches these days is butter -- somehow it just tastes better than
any salad dressing! G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old October 15th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article , "Pati C."
wrote:

One of my favorite sandwiches is beef tongue.

I'd always heard that tongue is delicious, but my one attempt at cooking
it was so disgusting that no one could eat it -- and we're pretty good
about trying new taste delights. G

Old October 15th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
"Debra" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:02:02 -0400, "Debi Matlack"
wrote:

Methinks the mayo or Miracle Whip preference comes directly from what
a body had while growing up.

Ah, another fond childhood memory! LOL

Growing up (back when I could eat such things), it was Best Foods mayonnaise
or nothing in our house. (This is Hellman's for those of you in the eastern
US). One time my Dad and I were at Grandma's (his mother), and she was
fixing sandwiches. She got out the Miracle Whip, and Dad and I said "no
thanks, we'll just have the sandwiches bare". Boy, did Grandma go on a
rampage because her beloved Miracle Whip had just been dissed! We held our
ground, though, and had the sandwiches bare. After that, Dad always brought
a teeny jar of Best Foods when he came to visit (I think mostly to tweak his
mother! LOL)

We only had Miracle Whip when I was a kid. When I met DH and he first
made egg salad sandwiches I was AMAZED at how good they tasted - turns
out he used mayonnaise! Haven't look back since! (and my mom even has a
little jar of "real mayonnaise" in the fridge for when we come to
visit). The funny thing is that now one of my kids thinks MW is the
better spread (at least for her tomato sandwiches)! LOL

Allison
Old October 15th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anastasia Luettecke

*sniff*

I still like the stuff.

Anastasia

--who just breezed through an Anglo Saxon language midterm and is now moving
on to some HER time!

"Debi wrote:

I think I was ruined on peanut butter on sammitches by my dad at a very
early age. I distictly remember him mixing the PB and J in a cup BEFORE
spreading it on the bread. What a disgusting color it became. I know
perfectly well that it all gets mixed up anyway, but *shudder*.

Oh, how dreadful for you. Your dad must have grown up eating that
horrible Goober Grape, or some similar product, and thought it tasted
good. A new jar of it looks good, but you can't get it out of the jar
without mixing the stripes together and ending up with something akin
to odd colored sticky mud. The look is bad enough but it doesn't
taste good either so I can't figure out why this awful stuff is still
on the market after 40 years.

For those who don't know Goober Grape, here is a link:
http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/defau...d=4&prodid=106

Old October 15th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Debra wrote:

For those who don't know Goober Grape, here is a link:
http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/defau...d=4&prodid=106

Blech! What a horrible invention. Give me marmite any day :-)

Lizzy
Old October 15th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
t...

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
We've done this before but not for a while... it's always fun. What's
*your* favorite oddball, strange, weird, gross, etc. combination for a
sandwich?

I'm not sure this is all that weird... or maybe I'm *really* weird because
I don't think it's weird!

Every year we'd make Thanksgiving sandwiches after the holiday -- slice of
bread, mayo, slice of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce,
mayo, another slice of bread. (Gravy may be used ONLY if you've run out of
cranberry sauce). Yum!

YUM
Yep, that's how I would make it. Though I might leave off the mashed
potatoes for an extra helping of (chestnut) dressing.

I like bologna, mustard, pickle relish and potato chips.

I like tuna and potato chips too.. and, mom used to make cucumber
sandwiches. I thought they were fancy, and not at all weird.

My son liked bread with mustard - which was difficult to explain to the
kindly pre-school teacher who wanted us to know that mustard was NOT A
FOOD - and did we need food stamps?

Old October 15th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

I used to never eat a sandwich without Duke's mayonnaise. Now I mostly use
Imperial spread, and when friends come over for a meal, they think the
Imperial tastes like real butter on the baked potatoes.
Barbara in FL

Oddball sweater post---?? Merri Yarn 3 February 25th 07 10:19 AM
Good use for oddball fabric scraps jes Sewing 0 December 9th 05 08:00 PM
Oddball question ~Candace~ Beads 15 September 4th 04 09:13 PM
Clothes line Those small sandwiches... Katherine Yarn 15 July 11th 03 09:06 AM