a though - on topic

Old October 19th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default a though - on topic

I've started sewing the strips to the top an bottom of my blocks. If I then
trim to size that way, I would save some fabric as I sew the strips to the
sides, would I not? They wouldn't have to be so long, and then be cut off?
Am I imagining this? Am I actually thinking like a quilter this morning!?!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you can just not lose what

Old October 19th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well, you are right; but, honestly, it wouldn't save very much; and,
with so much re-sizing, I think you would be better off trimming when
you have finished all of them. I'm not usually wasteful, but we're not
talking yards here g
You'll always be thinking like a quilter; just one having an off moment
right now!
..
In message SU1Si.144728$Xa3.14433@attbi_s22, "Karen, Queen of
Squishies" writes
I've started sewing the strips to the top an bottom of my blocks. If I then
trim to size that way, I would save some fabric as I sew the strips to the
sides, would I not? They wouldn't have to be so long, and then be cut off?
Am I imagining this? Am I actually thinking like a quilter this morning!?!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 19th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Okay, great. Thanks! Save some steps then, and go right to the next strisp
of sewing. Tada!

Karen, Queen of SQuishies

Old October 19th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
I've started sewing the strips to the top an bottom of my blocks. If I then
trim to size that way, I would save some fabric as I sew the strips to the
sides, would I not? They wouldn't have to be so long, and then be cut off?
Am I imagining this? Am I actually thinking like a quilter this morning!?!

you would, but I wouldn't do it, the fabric could stretch slightly as
you sew or bunch up a tiny bit, it wouldn't be much, but it could make
it an 1/8th inch off. I don't know how much extra you have, but you can
always start the strip a little bit in from the corner so saving a bit
of fabric, but not actually doing the trimming down until all 4 are
attached.

Cheers
Anne
Old October 19th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote in message
Am I actually thinking like a quilter this morning!?!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Oh my gawd, you can actually *think* in the morning! Plus you are quilting
and using sharp objects? You are my Super Quilty Heroine! I can't form
complete sentences and need both hands just to hold my coffee. However, that
"next strisp" typo ~giggle~ has confirmed that you probably are actually
human after all so I don't feel quite so badly about my rapidly increasing,
numerous inadequacies.

Val

Old October 19th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Well, yes, I already had my extra strong coffee at that point, and my meds.
too - hence that typpo! LOL! Thanks everyone for saving me the extra work
today.

Old October 20th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

Karen,

You'll have much better luck sewing the strips to the top, bottom and sides
of your blocks if you measure the blocks through the center and cut the size
strips you need. Your quilt will lie nice and flat that way. It also saves
fabric.

Happy quilting!