Various quilting thimbles & such

Old July 15th 04, 01:00 PM
Jiminy

Default Various quilting thimbles & such

I have a pretty good collection of quilting thimbles & such (didn't start
out to collect them, my mom got a little nutso; she buys them, tells me to
try them & let her know which one to use grin). But I don't have the
directions to them all ...

Which finger?
Where on finger?
How do I use it?
Do you have a favorite?

I have a clover thingy -- there's a little bit of elastic that holds a
leather piece (backed in pink plastic) on your finger, the leather is really
padded/thick w/ dimples

I have one that's a small dimpled metal disc and a metal expandable band

I have a very nice gold thimble, traditional w/ dimples

I have a really cool, quilting thimble that has slots instead of dimples & a
ridged crown to hold the needle

I have leather thimbles (like finger cots)

I have some of those plastic adhesive thingys, I tend to use these on the
under-hand

I have a teeny, tiny metal disc that you put adhesive on & then you apply
the disc like a teeny yarmaluke on your finger -- but I think I have an
under-hand disc, no dimples

Thanks in Advance,
Susan -- woke up at 4:30 this morning and started a very long
inner-conversation about quilting, haven't quilted in a year (been knitting,
crocheting, cross-stitching)

Old July 15th 04, 04:04 PM
Dr.Quilter

I never used a thimble until I started hand quilting. Now I cannot sew
without it. I use a simple metal one that fits well on the middle finger of
my right hand, and use it to push the blunt end of the needle. When I hand
quilt, I get a nice perforated area on the index finger of my left hand
(that is, no props), which I use to feel the tip of the needle under the
quilt sandwich. But I'd think probably other people do it differently... you
know, whatever works...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)

Old July 15th 04, 06:04 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Jiminy" wrote:

I have a pretty good collection of quilting thimbles & such (didn't start
out to collect them, my mom got a little nutso; she buys them, tells me to
try them & let her know which one to use grin). But I don't have the
directions to them all ...

Which finger?
Where on finger?
How do I use it?
Do you have a favorite?

snip

I don't have the ones you use, Susan, but I'll tell you what I like.
I don't push the needle with the top of my finger; I use the "pad" of my
finger instead. That means that I can use a thimble that has no top (a
"tailor's" thimble), which means my finger stays cooler in warm weather
-- note where I live. I wear it on my middle finger (the rude one
g), and it fits comfortably just at the top joint. Because I push with
the pad of my finger, the thimble tends to turn around gradually as I
work, so one of the ones with a nail slit doesn't work well for me.

I had to learn to use a thimble, as I'd never used one for garment
sewing, which I no longer do. g Now I use it for everything! Hand
quilting, hand sewing bindings, disastrous attempts at appliqué, etc.

I've tried other thimbles, but I don't like any as well as this one. My
nails grow quickly and my finger gets hot, so I don't like the
traditional ones with a top. I did break down and buy a sterling
thimble, which is wonderful because the metal tends to shrink and expand
with my finger in different temperatures. HTH!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old July 15th 04, 06:45 PM
Roberta Zollner

My current favorite is the John James brass with magnetic dimpled tip. Worn
on the middle finger of my right (needle-pushing) hand. Only way you can
wear it is over the end of the finger -was this a trick question? Nothing on
the underneath hand except calluses on 2 fingers.

The dimples are to hold the blunt end of the needle as you push it through
the fabric. Once you insert the needle for the 1st stitch, push it into a
dimple and rock up and down to form 2 or 3 little quilting stitches before
you pull it through. The thumb of the right hand stays just in front of the
needle point to push the fabric down, and the hand underneath feels how far
the tip comes through before you rock it back up.
Roberta in D

Old July 15th 04, 07:29 PM
Jiminy

Thank you Sandy. BTW, my aunt and uncle lived in Henderson for a few
years -- 1997 to early 2000 I think
Susan

Old July 16th 04, 03:07 AM
KathyB in West Oz

You make it sound so simple Roberta, now why oh why doesn't it work like
that for me Please can anyone give me the secret for even stitches or
is it just me being dumb or maybe not doing it often enough to get better

Kathy B in West Oz

&

Old July 16th 04, 03:22 AM
Sharon Harper

Actually what I've found to be really good is the little sandpaper dots that
you use on rulers and whatnot. One of those on the end of my pushing finger
and no more pain. They usually only last for one session but I've found it
much more comfortable than a thimble.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old July 16th 04, 01:06 PM
georg

KathyB in West Oz wrote:

You make it sound so simple Roberta, now why oh why doesn't it work like
that for me Please can anyone give me the secret for even stitches or
is it just me being dumb or maybe not doing it often enough to get better

Consider getting Tiger Tape, Kathy. This has marks evenly along it, and
you can put it next to where you want a stitching line. You can do one
or 2 stitches per mark and concentrate on getting even stitches that
way. Then just practice! After about half of a twin, you probably won't
need the tape any more. And the next quilt, you can try for 3 stitches
per mark.

As for thimbles, the only one that feels kind of comfy is a ring thimble
on my middle finger- but I keep forgetting it's there, and most of the
time I end up pushing a stubborn needle with the part of my fingernail
that sticks out- painful if it slips.

-georg

Old July 16th 04, 02:02 PM
Roberta Zollner

Well it is simple! Of course, I've practiced a lot :-) And never got decent
stitches until I switched to a #12 Between.
Roberta in D

Old July 16th 04, 03:59 PM
Dr.Quilter

actually, in my experience, the first stitch is the wonkiest (can you hear
the music?) so the more stitches you try to put in your needle, the least
frequent the bad ones will be...