QUIET in HERE

Old November 17th 04, 03:25 PM
bdianeVA

Default QUIET in HERE

These are the least postings I have seen in a long long time. Is it
only me?
I guess this is a sign of holidays coming ! We did our first
Thanksgiving last weekend because that is when daughter could come.
We will have our own for 3 people on the correct day. But practiced
already now! What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I hope everyone
has a wonderful day. It will be just our son who lives with us still
and hubby and I this year. Daughter already came and son lives far
away at college so won't be back. Still going to dress up the dining
room as best I can. Decorations are for us to see more than to share.
Old November 18th 04, 04:27 AM
Jenn Liace

On 17 Nov 2004 06:25:22 -0800, (bdianeVA) wrote:

These are the least postings I have seen in a long long time. Is it
only me?

Today posts were extremely slow getting to Google. I remember seeing
you post in the last couple days that Google is your only access at
the moment. As of almost 5:00 CST, I saw only one post there, yet I
came home at 7:00 to about 150 total.

I guess this is a sign of holidays coming ! We did our first
Thanksgiving last weekend because that is when daughter could come.
We will have our own for 3 people on the correct day. But practiced
already now! What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I hope everyone
has a wonderful day. It will be just our son who lives with us still
and hubby and I this year. Daughter already came and son lives far
away at college so won't be back. Still going to dress up the dining
room as best I can. Decorations are for us to see more than to share.

I'm hosting my family's get-together this year. At the moment we'll
be getting together on Thursday but that may change depending on my
brother's schedule, as he's the least flexible of us all. I'm going
to have 10 people total, making turkey and gravy, stuffing, mashed
potatoes, candied yams, green beans, corn on the cob, possibly acorn
squash, and a couple different breads. My mother is bringing the pies
(I think she feels left out of the planning, this is the first year
that she and Dad aren't cooking everything).

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Christmas Carnations (Threads Through Time)
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old November 19th 04, 10:25 PM
Gillian Murray

"bdianeVA" wrote in message
m...
These are the least postings I have seen in a long long time. Is it
only me?
I guess this is a sign of holidays coming ! We did our first
Thanksgiving last weekend because that is when daughter could come.
We will have our own for 3 people on the correct day. But practiced
already now! What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I hope everyone
has a wonderful day. It will be just our son who lives with us still
and hubby and I this year. Daughter already came and son lives far
away at college so won't be back. Still going to dress up the dining
room as best I can. Decorations are for us to see more than to share.

It seems to me that over the past several months, maybe a year, there has
been a steady decline in postings. I got back from a short trip today,
checked rctn last at 9am Monday, and checked in at 1pm today, Rriday. Only
277 posts. It used to be that there would be well over 1,000 to catch up on,
or so it seemed; 300 a day wasn't a rare event. This isn't necessarily bad,
in fact some may say "quality not quantity", but it has been very obvious to
me!

Gillian

Old November 19th 04, 11:47 PM
LdyTegan

It seems to me that over the past several months, maybe a year, there has
been a steady decline in postings.

Speaking strictly for myself, I think the whole "tone" had been uncomfortable
for some time. All the political debate in the last year made me cringe. All
the International Pot Shot Exchanges have dampened my enthusiasm for
discussion. All the arguing and sniping back and forth give an armed camp
feeling.

I don't for a minute think the ONLY topic should be needlework. I would just
like to see a return to a friendlier environment.
Earlier this year, there was quite a bit of Bash America(ns) going on. Having
been quite honest regarding my love and admiration for All Things British, my
feelings were hurt enough that I just withdrew, rather than try to post any
response.

I'm one of those "evil" smokers, and while I respect everyone's right to an
opinion, again, knowing how considerate I try to be with my bad habit, having
it constantly harped on, causes one to withdraw.

Reading the ever constant bickering between "regular" posters, all of whom do
have the "right" to post, wears a person out. All the squabbling about who
called who a nasty name seems so beneath us. Or it should be. The "I have
So-and-So killfiled" remarks just seem to add fuel to the ongoing spats.

It's not that I want to see this become a moderated group, or never see any OT
postings, I would just like us to remember there are flesh and blood PEOPLE on
the other side of the monitor. People with feelings. People with valid
contributions, who could make them, if they didn't feel as though any post at
all would or could result in an attack. I realize I tend to over-analyze my
postings, in effort to make sure I don't unintentionally hurt someone's
feelings, and I can't expect everyone else to do the same thing.

I suppose this is where I do my Rodney King quote of "Can't we all just get
along?". Simplistic, I know, but there it is..

Tegan

Who we are never changes. Who we think we are... does.
- Unknown
Old November 20th 04, 05:51 AM
Olwynmary

Speaking strictly for myself, I think the whole "tone" had been uncomfortable
for some time.

Me too.

Earlier this year, there was quite a bit of Bash America(ns) going on.Having

been quite honest regarding my love and admiration for All Things British, my
feelings were hurt enough that I just withdrew,

I was born and brought up in England, then got married one Saturday and flew
the Atlantic (with my Brit DH) the next, lived in Montreal, Que for three
years, then moved to the U.S., and therefore can see both sides of many of
these questions. I thought that these "bashings" were inappropriate in this
forum, particularly as we seem to have people on all sides of every question on
both sides of the Atlantic, and what we have in common is stitchery.

I'm one of those "evil" smokers,

Me too. I try not to offend, I just wish that others (many of whom have habits
which I dislike intensely) would also endeavor to be considerate

..Reading the ever constant bickering between "regular" posters, all of whom do
have the "right" to post, wears a person out.

particularly for those who, like me, do NOT do cross-stitch, have no interest
in it whatsoever, and have to wade through all the other posts in order to find
the information we want and need.
Incidentally, I also sew, knit and crochet as well as embroidering, but I
stopped reading rcty more than a year ago because it got so unpleasant.

Thank you, Tegan.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old November 20th 04, 07:05 PM
Pat P

"LdyTegan" wrote in message
[...]

I always think that it`s far better to "killfile" a THREAD, rather than a
poster, don`t you? If you don`t like the way it`s going, it at least does
away with "having" to read it. If you don`t like arguing/discussing, the
answer, as you demonstrate, is just not to get involved and "wear yourself
out".

Much as I like to hear it, I`m sure you can`t really love EVERYTHING about
Britain ;-)) - we don`t!!! As for American bashing, I`m pretty sure that
most of us are happy enough with Americans as individual people - but have
some reservations about them as a nation at times - which is entirely
different!

You`re dead right about politics - this is certainly not the place for
them - there are surely newsgroups enough dedicated to just that.

As has been said time and time again,you can`t like everyone in the world -
some people instinctively get your back up. I bet there are many people in
the ng who you`d avoid like the plague if it came to actually meeting them
and not always the ones you argue with. Quite often I find that those are
the ones I`d really love to spend a day with! Those who are all sweetness
and light are unlikely to be good company or fun!

Pat P

Old November 21st 04, 02:46 AM
LdyTegan

I always think that it`s far better to "killfile" a THREAD, rather than a
poster, don`t you?

Yes, I do. But for a while, it seems that I've been ignoring far more than I've
been reading. I love reading this group and have found few bright spots,
lately.

Much as I like to hear it, I`m sure you can`t really love EVERYTHING about
Britain ;-)) - we don`t!!!

I found some things to be very different, but overall, I loved everything I
saw. So much so that I do intend to try and move there when I no longer have
any obligations here. There's enough history on that one small island to keep
me happily poking about for the rest of my life.

Possibly because I live in the Midwest, where Mom, Apple pie and the Flag are
still very much bandied about, I do have a hard time making that fine
distinction between a nation and it's people.

I bet there are many people in
the ng who you`d avoid like the plague if it came to actually meeting them
and not always the ones you argue with. Quite often I find that those are
the ones I`d really love to spend a day with! Those who are all sweetness
and light are unlikely to be good company or fun!

Yes, again. I tend to overanalyze anything I've written, looking for where I
may have inadvertently said something that may hurt someone else's feelings.
Knowing I wear my heart out on my sleeve, I tend to assume (wrongly, I know)
that others do, as well. I really wouldn't want anyone here to change anything
about themselves or the way they post. And yes, I suspect that if I could host
a Get Together of my favorite posters, I'd love every minute of it, even while
I was trying desperately to keep fur from flying! (does create an interesting
mental image, eh?)

I dunno.. Gillian just struck a chord and I thought, eh.. haven't posted much
in a long time and here's why... none of them truly valid reasons, just
reasons, I suppose.

Old November 21st 04, 03:55 AM
Gillian Murray

"LdyTegan" wrote in message
[...]

I am not known for "chord striking", but your post does raise thoughts.
Today I was browsing through Kathy Dyer's site, and reminiscing over the
names we no longer read. Obviously over the years, folks come and go, but it
was so neat seeing the old names again, and the stupidity ( and fun) we had
with limericks etc. I guess we are all a bit more serious these days!!

I will admit I have had the pleasure on two seperate occasions this year(
maryland and the maritimes) to meet other members of the group, and it has
really been wonderful to put faces and "real people" to the rctn posters.

Gillian

Old November 21st 04, 12:35 PM
F.James Cripwell

"Gillian Murray" ) writes:

I am not known for "chord striking", but your post does raise thoughts.
Today I was browsing through Kathy Dyer's site, and reminiscing over the
names we no longer read.
(snip)
Gillian

One of the names we no longer read is Kathy Dyer herself. I have not
checked recently, but the last time I looked, her site had not been
updated for quite a long while. It contains a lot of very valuable
information.

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old November 21st 04, 01:23 PM
Pat P

"LdyTegan" wrote in message
I always think that it`s far better to "killfile" a THREAD, rather than a
poster, don`t you?

Yes, I do. But for a while, it seems that I've been ignoring far more than
I've
been reading. I love reading this group and have found few bright spots,
lately.

Much as I like to hear it, I`m sure you can`t really love EVERYTHING about
Britain ;-)) - we don`t!!!

I found some things to be very different, but overall, I loved everything
saw. So much so that I do intend to try and move there when I no longer
have
any obligations here. There's enough history on that one small island to
keep
me happily poking about for the rest of my life.

Oh, how right you are! There`s still plenty to keep me fascinated at nearly
70, even in my own small area - history enthralls me even more than
stitching, and it`s amazing what you can find even in tiny and sometimes
quite unpreposessing villages and hamlets. I`d love to meet up with you
when you do get to live over here - we definitely share a hobbyhorse there!

As for the bits about Britain that I DON`T like - well, I just avoid them!!!
LOL!

Pat P