Making clay caves for aquarium fish...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 19th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Making clay caves for aquarium fish...

Hello,
I'm an aquarist, and many fish like to live or breed in shelters,
referred to as 'caves'.
Normally shattered plant-pots or terracotta tubes are used, like
this...
http://www.planetcatfish.com/images/...sc/sw/hz/7.jpg
....but it would be very useful to be able to make 'custom' caves for
the fish.

When I've looked in to this in the past, the need to use a kiln has put
me off, but now I see there's air-drying clays, as well as low-fire
clays and polymer clays you can fire in your household oven.

My questions a are air-drying/low-firing clays or polymer clays
non-toxic after firing, and would they survive (ie not fall to pieces)
if kept constantly in water for several years?