OT word of the day

Old March 31st 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

Shoddy and Mungo

Shoddy is in essence recycled wool.
Rags are shredded, respun, and rewoven, and the resultant fabric is
Shoddy. The quality of shoddy would of course vary with the quality
of the rags used to make it. If good quality soft spun rags are used
it may well turn out to be of a better quality some lesser new
woolens.

And yep this is where the term shoddy as used a a descriptive meaning
poor quality comes from.

Mungo is the lowest quality shoddy. Generally from hard spun rags, it
is sometimes of such low quality when the proscessing is finished that
it must be felted to make a usable fabric.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 31st 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Shoddy and Mungo

Shoddy is in essence recycled wool.
Rags are shredded, respun, and rewoven, and the resultant fabric is
Shoddy. The quality of shoddy would of course vary with the quality
of the rags used to make it. If good quality soft spun rags are used
it may well turn out to be of a better quality some lesser new
woolens.

And yep this is where the term shoddy as used a a descriptive meaning
poor quality comes from.

Mungo is the lowest quality shoddy. Generally from hard spun rags, it
is sometimes of such low quality when the proscessing is finished that
it must be felted to make a usable fabric.

Those were two of my favourite words when I was a kid (I used to read
the dictionary for fun, mind). Turned out that the shirts we were
issued with when doing army cadet training at school (this was in New
Zealand in the 60s) were made of mungo or shoddy. They were some of
the scratchiest, ickiest things I've ever had to wear. Eventually
I flatly refused to do it any more on principle (PM Holyoake took
NZ tokenistically into the Vietnam War, and I supported the Viet Cong)
but we damn well should have had grounds for objection for being
forced to dress in sandpaper.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old April 1st 09, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

algin
alginate
Alginic acid
Sodium alginate

Alginate is an extract of various seaweeds.
It has a ton of uses. In textiles it has been spun into water soluble
threads, used as a soluble foundation for embroideries, used as a
size, included in starches, and used as a thickener in both dye
painting and textile printing.
By far printing is the largest use of alginates in the textile
industry.
Most soluble threads and sheets available in retail are PVA
(polyvinyl-alcohol), which has better storage qualities.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 1st 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

NightMist wrote:
algin
alginate
Alginic acid
Sodium alginate

Alginate is an extract of various seaweeds.
It has a ton of uses. In textiles it has been spun into water soluble
threads, used as a soluble foundation for embroideries, used as a
size, included in starches, and used as a thickener in both dye
painting and textile printing.
By far printing is the largest use of alginates in the textile
industry.
Most soluble threads and sheets available in retail are PVA
(polyvinyl-alcohol), which has better storage qualities.

OT note: Alginates are also used in dental impression material - you
know the yucky pink or blue stuff you bite into for getting crowns etc
just the right size and shape. Can't think of a textile link to tie in
with that though.

Lizzy
Old April 1st 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:24:57 +0100, Lizzy Taylor
wrote:

NightMist wrote:
[...]

So far as casting they have to use it for dental impressions because
it is one of the few things that will work well that you can safely
put in your mouth. It is also used to make life castings (making
various impressions of people parts, hands, feet, bellies, faces,
etc.), though I prefer moulage for that for assorted reasons.

It is used as a thickener a LOT. Start reading lables and you will
find it and/or methocell (hydroxymethylcellulose) in tons and tons of
things, from food to cosmetics to washing up liquids and more.

You find this stuff in almost everything.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 2nd 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Spot Tack

Making a knot of sorts.

By machine set stitch length to zero (or your machine's equivilant)
and go backwards and forwards over the same small spot a couple of
times.

By hand just take a couple of stitches over the same few threads and
tie as for a quilt, then wrap the thread through the stitches and pass
the needle through the wrapping as for a french knot. Generally you
want to pass the needle back through the sides of wrap before cutting
closely, but that is a matter of choice.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 3rd 09, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Pineapple fiber
Pina (the spanish N with the curvey)
Abacaxi

Made from pineapple leaves, the fiber is removed by scraping the
leaves by hand.
In commercial textiles it is often combined with silk or synthetics.
The resultant fabric has the look and much of the durability of linen,
but is softer, more lusterous, and easier care.
The fabric originated in the Philappines, though some small trade in
it has developed in other pineapple growing countries, notably Brazil.

An article and some pictures of modern garments made of this fabric is
he

http://www.teonline.com/articles/200...le-fabric.html
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 5th 09, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Beaver

You could consider this an early faux fur.

It is a heavy coating weight woolen fabric, that has been milled and
napped. The nap is cut evenly and laid in a single direction, similar
to the process for some velvets.
It is lusterous, and quite intentionally made to look like beaver fur
so much as is possible.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 7th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

baldachin

Though the word has come down in time from what was once a "canopy of
state", nowdays it mostly refers to beds.
A baldachin bed is one in which the canopy is permanent, a structural
part of the bed. It may be full or half, or sometimes smaller than
half. It is somewhat fashionable both now and through history to
drape the half or smaller versions to match or compliment the other
bed dressings.
Some versions of the full size are quilted on the visable faces with
leather or luxury fabrics.

I've noticed that when advertising companies wish to make a modern bed
with a canopy, especially when accompanied by curtain rails, sound
pretentious they call it a "baldachin bed".
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 8th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

combed cotton

Cotton that is gone over with fine brushes after carding to remove
more impurities, brittle fibers, and short fibers. This reduces the
total volume of the carded cotton by as much as 15-20%, but what
remains are the longer more durable fibers.
Fabrics and yarns made of combed cotton are usually softer and more
durable than those made from single carded cotton.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 01:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 01:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 05:07 PM