OT Wedding Announcement

Old September 7th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

Default OT Wedding Announcement

On 7 Sep, 13:19, (NightMist) wrote:
As I understand it, in most states the ceremony could be a game of
hopscotch so long as the person signing the license is legal in that
state, and the witnesses are of age.
It's kind of wierd, my DH has two mail order ordinations and is legal
to perform ceremonies in more states than my dad who is church
ordained. *
DD2 who is getting married in May, is getting her officiant in a
package deal with her cake. *We have been wondering if being a baker
requires some form of ordination or etc. in North Carolina. (G)

NightMist

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:38:17 -0700, "Carolyn McCarty"

wrote:
They just keep getting weirder and weirder! *At least that one didn't
instruct you what gift to send, if any!

One of my favorite nephews got married a month ago or so. *The ceremony took
place outdoors at the bride's mother's home. *The wedding party and most of
the guests were skateboarders and/or tattoo artists and dressed in a, shall
we say, variety of styles from evening dresses to denim Capri trousers. *The
minister had just gotten his mail-order preacher's license, and the bride
and groom wrote their own vows. *The wedding was fun, but far different than
anything I ever saw before. *I wonder if it's any more legal than jumping
over a broomstick. *Still, they are a fine young couple and I hope they have
a long and happy life together.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. *--Red Green
If it ain't broke, it ain't mine. *--Carolyn McCarty

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. *--Red Green
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer. *--Carolyn McCarty

"Kate T." wrote in message
Am I old-fashioned, out of touch or what. *I received what I think is
an odd wedding announcement.

I haven't attended a wedding I many years so I could be just out of
touch with modern times.

This announcement was a long post card. *Just the name of the bride
and groom with the date and time of the wedding. *That's all.

The bride mowed my yard a couple years ago. *I know her Grandmother
from Bingo. *I understand the bride will be in a white gown trimmed in
red. *The Groom will wear tux pants with a hunting vest. *No one
attending is to wear shoes. ?????

I know I am a senior citizen but am I having a senior moment, brain
freeze, brain fart or what.

Kate T. *South Mississippi

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

I wonder if the officiant will jump out of the cake!!!!

Sounds like we are all "so last century" with our views big laugh.
It seems to have been my fav phrase lately - I'm sooo last century!!

Bronie

Cheers
Bronnie
Old September 7th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Anne Rogers wrote:

HA!! A few years back, our neighbour's daughter was getting married -
everyone was to wear black - the bride and groom wore black, bouquet
was black - horrible, depressing. When a friend of my daughter's was
getting married, she put on the invitation 'no plastic gifts' ....
when my daughter got married, guess what her *friend* gave her??? Uh-
huh .. plastic!!!

I had some friends who wrote a very general list, rather than having a
list with specific items, I think it was brave of them to say plates,
cutlery etc without specifying, but hey. One item on the list was "vases
(no flying pigs please)", I think it was to indicate they didn't want
anything novelty - anyway, that was the only place they had been
specific about something they didn't want, so of course, it was the one
thing they definitely got, the bride's father had one of the brides
younger siblings paint pigs onto a plain glass vase and he presented it
during his speech! This particular couple must have some crazy friends
as one of the other gifts was a knitted computer!

Cheers
Anne

I must be positively pre-historic! I hate the idea of sending out a
list - it's like begging for things!

My mum asked me what we needed, as by the time Alan & I finally got
married, we'd had a house and a mortgage for five years! So I gave her
a list of what we would quite like, and when folk wanted to know, mum
chose a couple of things off the list in whoever it was's price range
(she guessed those - and was extremely accurate!) and kept a list of who
she'd told what to (if you follow!) The ONLY duplication we got was a
couple of the big square Tupperware cake boxes! Over the last 26 years,
those things have earned their keep several times over, and I've
occasionally wanted more! Lots of the further flung members of the
fasmily sent cheques, which was great, as with those I managed to get
all the china I wanted, a complete new set of bed linen from M&S, and
lots of other stuff. We had fun planning and spending it, and telling
each person what 'their' cheque went on. My gran's neighbour sent us a
nice crisp new Clydesdale bank £10 note. I spent that on bath towels,
which are old and well worn now, but still in use!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old September 7th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

I think that nowadays some "youngsters" are choosing to announce their
wedding without the formal invitation, so that people can choose
whether they want to participate and to what extent. It frees people
from any obligation yet at the same time informs them of the new
union. I kinda like the idea, myself.

Musicmaker
Old September 7th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

And sometimes the "Save the Date" cards are confused with the actual
invitations. It's a fairly new trend.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 7th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
"Kate T." wrote:

Am I old-fashioned, out of touch or what. I received what I think is
an odd wedding announcement.

I haven't attended a wedding I many years so I could be just out of
touch with modern times.

This announcement was a long post card. Just the name of the bride
and groom with the date and time of the wedding. That's all.

The bride mowed my yard a couple years ago. I know her Grandmother
from Bingo. I understand the bride will be in a white gown trimmed in
red. The Groom will wear tux pants with a hunting vest. No one
attending is to wear shoes. ?????

I know I am a senior citizen but am I having a senior moment, brain
freeze, brain fart or what.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Kate, I find this one rather odd, too. Considering the degree of
acquaintance you have with the bride, I'd send a nice card wishing them
well and call it a day. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 8th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

No shoes?....so it takes place on a beach?...

btw..i've noticed that funerals in Hawaii often suggest your attire, such
as: casual or Aloha attire. Kind of neat.

Old September 8th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I must be positively pre-historic! I hate the idea of sending out a
list - it's like begging for things!

My mum asked me what we needed, as by the time Alan & I finally got
married, we'd had a house and a mortgage for five years! So I gave her
a list of what we would quite like, and when folk wanted to know, mum
chose a couple of things off the list in whoever it was's price range
(she guessed those - and was extremely accurate!) and kept a list of who
she'd told what to (if you follow!) The ONLY duplication we got was a
couple of the big square Tupperware cake boxes!

I agree with you, to be honest I don't think the list I was thinking of
was sent out, but put discreetly put on a website. I think the problem
is these days, with so much variation of what goes on, that you really
can't guarantee that people will call the bride's mother and even if
they did, the bride's mother is probably working and it would be quite a
burden for her to maintain the list. More and more people are moving
away from home and will have friends who don't know the family and the
groom's family won't know the brides family etc.

It's indisputable that it is ettiquette to take a gift to a wedding, yet
more and more the practicalities mentioned above mean that for many
couples it is much simpler to have a list at a store. From the weddings
I've been too recently, it would seem that our wedding was small, about
80 guests, probably around 40-50 family units and individuals, had my
mum had to return 40 calls or emails with details it would have been
quite time consuming, she was working full time and only about 18 months
since she'd finished cancer treatments, so was still suffering with
fatigue and things like that. So you tread a fine line between it being
etiquette to give a gift, but not etiquette to expect one, what we ended
up doing, and this seems to be quite common is to include an information
sheet in with the invite, so the invite is simply the classic statement,
saying where and when, but then further information, such as a map, car
parking details, suggested accomodation is given in a separate print out
and somewhere on there you sneak in a discreet note that says which
store your list is at.

I'd have been happy to have a list that was more general, though it was
useful to have things like plates all matching. I know in the past this
was sometimes acheived by passing on that you wanted them from a
particular range, but that's become a very expensive way to obtain
crockery, if you do that now, you'd only getting a dinner service from
the whole guest list! We picked cheapish sets where they came four
settings in a box and asked for 2 and several other things that matched
them, like mats. If you have a more general list it ends up being a
person that has to keep track, when it's easier for everyone if it's a
computer!

A lot of countries don't have the same ettiquette that we have, which is
a bizarre balance having to give a gift and not expecting to receive
one. Many other societies do what we would consider very bad form and
give gifts of money, which will be quite blatently collected and the
amount recorded at some point during the celebrations - so the couple
know how much to give when the guests or their families get married, a
thought that in US and British etiquette is not really supposed to enter
your head!

Cheers
Anne
Old September 8th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I am confused. YOu use the word etiquette oddly to me. DO you mean
proper etiquette, good etiquette or bad etiquette? Around here it is
proper to send a gift but not bring it to the wedding. A gift should
never be expected IMO. I give what is in my budget, not what I think
is expected. I surely would rather get nothing than have folks spending
what is above their means or something they had to charge.
BTW, a note with a list or registry really isn't discreet.
Taria

Old September 8th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Thank you all for your input. I'm confused about giving a gift also.
I understand her registry is at Walmart.

But I definitely will not attend the wedding or the reception. The
wedding I am told will be in a church and the reception will be at the
new home the groom's parents bought for them. The home was placed in
pasture land. With no shoes I am not about to step in anything. No
hornet nests, wasp nests, fire ant hills and with horses around I
won't step barefoot in their leavings in the pasture.

Kate T. South Mississippi