OT one more new word

Old March 12th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OT one more new word

You've taught me about bling (yes) and blog (ho-hum). Now we old folks
need to understand another word. Mississippi has been beseiged, invaded,
insulted and pandered to by presidential candidates. All of you have been
very kind to refrain from mentioning your political positions - for which we
are so grateful - enough, already, enough. Rctq is not the place.
However -
What does the word zenophobic mean?
I don't even know that I've spelled it right. Could have some x's in
the beginning.
The tv and radio news folks keep using the word and we don't know if we
need to wash their mouths out with soap or what. Anyone? Polly

Old March 12th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobic This should explain the
meaning(s) of the word, Polly. As for your presidential candidates, I
do hope that this time, you guys get it right )) jennellh

Old March 12th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

No chance of getting it right this time, as we have 3 losers running.
but that's just my opinion. Back to sewing. : )

Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

Old March 12th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Then I'm sure xenophobic doesn't mean me. One of the nicest guys I ever met
was frequently a member of the committees I worked with. He wore a long
white beard tucked into his belt. Along with the beard was a serious
looking sword. No problem. Polly

Old March 12th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i see you've found your answer, Polly.
i wonder could you enlighten us as to the context it was
used on tv/radio.
the mind boggles.
j.

"Polly Esther" ...

Old March 12th 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Dear Polly,

There is a difference between "strange" and "stranger", you know. :-)

Hanne in London

Old March 12th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
i see you've found your answer, Polly.
i wonder could you enlighten us as to the context it was used on tv/radio.
the mind boggles.

It's actually a common enough word. The word was used 473 times in various
form for various reasons in the world's published English language
newspapers. I read it twice in the Seattle paper today, once used in an
article regarding the state school board, another having to do with social
issues in Korea. A Russian news paper had quite an article about Putin's
speech wanting to eliminate xenophobia and intolerance in Russia and
especially the Ukraine. A newspaper in Berlin had an article about an arson
fire being caused by xenophobia. It has been used by reporters in the US
newspapers, i.e. the xenophobia and racism in the present primaries.

This isn't a new word nor is it uniquely used in present political news
reporting. It is just one of so very many irrational phobias, based on
ignorance.

Val

Old March 12th 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I did read your other answers, Polly!
Interesting to see the definitions given. I have always heard and used
it with a slightly different meaning: fear or intolerance of
'foreigners'. I just checked in my dictionary, and that is the meaning
given there, too. It does put a slightly different complexion on the
word, especially when used politically.
Words are so fascinating - especially the 'derived from Greek' ones.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Word of the Day Bobbie Sews More Quilting 0 May 12th 06 05:28 PM
Word of the Day frood Quilting 17 May 9th 06 11:57 AM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 05:07 PM