Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 30th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Default Time for another Roll Call?

and soon... I have several really RIPE bananas on the counter right now!

--
Kate in MI

"Gen" wrote in message
sounds like it might be the time to share these killer banana bread
recipes. Please
Gen

"Paulette" wrote in message
Though I mostly lurk here, I do chat with a few members and read darn
near
And Polly, I too make a killer banana bread.
paulette in WV

Old January 30th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I would love to know more about your quilt club. I'd love to get something
like that going?

Do you meet at the school? Do you do hand work... or do they use sewing
machines? I think this would be great fun (and definitely a challenge from
time to time!). I miss my classroom days.... but not enough to go back as a
regular teacher!

--
Kate in MI

"WitchyStitcher" wrote in message
I'm Linda from PATCHogue, NY aka Witchystitcher. I've been quilting
for about 15 years - every since my girls decided they were too cool
to wear clothes make by mommy. I've been married to DH for 34 years
and have two grown girls who live in Alexandria and southern Maryland.
I am a special education teacher and I run a quilt club for 4th and
5th graders.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:29:51 +0000, Sally Swindells
wrote:

As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

Old January 30th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J Berger

and another...
http://kjbeanne.com/images/tessa_small.jpg

Kellie

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
Sally Swindells wrote:
QI = Quilt Inspector. Welcome Steph.

Refers to the way dogs and cats have of checking on quilts in progress.
Here's an illustration:
http://www.julia.rocky-dog.com/ACubbeonStash.jpg

--Lia

Old January 30th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

So I suppose that I should take a turn. 46 years old and doesn't seem
possible. I'm about as far northwest as you can get in the U.S., Alaska.
Been here 19 years when I moved to a rural bush village to teach business
and computers. Only 700 people and only accessible by plane. Originally
from Michigan. Now on what we call the "road system" so that I have a life
and because I met my other half, Bert who is retired from the Forest
Service. Going on 14 years together.

Two stepsons, one 27 and continuing at college while working at the college
(the 20 year plan I think), the other 24 and in his last semester and last
class for his Masters in Architecture. Yeah!

Had a wonderful small fluff ball of a dog that shared my adventures in the
village and the move to town, but he is now only in our memories.

Made my first quilt with Mom in the early 80's and have been quilting
continuously since about 1989. I hand applique a whole lot, some my own
designs and others from patterns, typical pieced patterns, and always try
new techniques and I also do machine embroidery since I bought Mom's
machine. I now have two Viking machines.

I have at least two more years until retirement, maybe go five more beyond
that, and then I can really get busy quilting and drive Bert crazy 24 hours
a day with all my projects. Way too many projects unfinshed, in process and
planed. Seriously trying to finish up some before starting new.

Will post the link to my website later. Bert has redone most of it and
updated it massively with more quilt and travel pictures. Not quite
finished, but close.

Steven
Alaska

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England. She
has her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given up
having a beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired and
looks considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting about
6 years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter,
lots of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date. At
the moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have spent
the evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal
Trainer is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old January 30th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA

Hey, Steph! I'm also in the SF Bay Area....small world. Where is your local
quilt shop? And I am also a (former) cross stitcher. I did that for many
years before quilting :-). Welcome to the group! It's wonderful here.

~~~~~~~
Laurie G. in CA
http://www.finishingtouchesquilts.com
http://community.webshots.com/user/lagrant7
~~~~~~~

"StephM" wrote in message
m...
StephM had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/quilting/Re-...all-87112-.htm
:
Hi! I joined the group a few days ago and what perfect timing - I'm
getting to meet you all through the roll call thread!

I just began quilting this month - taking a 5 week class at a local quilt
shop and Love it. My Mom has been quilting forever and I grew up with
it.finally got bitten by the bug myself. I really enjoy cross stitching
and been doing it on and off for over 20 years.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area, was raised in upstate New York. I
just moved in with my partner (DP? - not married yet!) We share our home
with two awesome cats. DP is in art school, loves video games, thinks my
quilting is great and he has a very cute British accent. George is a dark
tabby that I bottle raised and is my baby boy and Bean is a brown ticked,
blue-eyed feline queen. From the posts I see that QI refers to loved
fur-balls but what does it stand for?

This seems like a great group - I'm having a great time reading!!

Steph

-------------------------------------
Kamalaleah wrote:

I'll go next. My name is Tamara and live in Northern California with my
QI, Marshmallow DA Bunny. I am also retired and loving it. Not the
reason I retired, three shoulder surgeries in less than a year and a
half but love being able to do what I want when. Plus having time to
spend with my folks. I feel very lucky to have such great parents that
are good health and fun to be around. I must have done something right
in raising them

My Grandparents (Dad's parents) were tailors from the old country
(Russia. I remember my Mom making what I called three arm hole dresses
for my sister and me when were little. I still have the pattern she
used
to make the dresses. I took up quilting about 8 years ago after sewing
for years. I guess sewing is in my blood. I still like cross stitch. I
sometimes teach quilting classes at my local quilt store. LOVE dark
chocolate!!! The only reason I have a kitchen is it came with the
house.

Tamara

Sally Swindells wrote:
[...]

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.quilting - 85634 messages and counting!

Old January 30th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
offkilterquilter

OK, for all the new members.....

I'm Larisa, 35yo Stay-at-home-mom of 2 handfuls of energy (7.5yo boy
with ADHD and 4yo girl who thinks she's 21). I have 3 QIs - an aged,
but adorable shelter pup named DeAnna who is around 11 years old now,
Nugget, 11, an orange tabby who really belongs to hubby, but who sleeps
in my batting piles, and Shadow, 10, my spooky little black panther wannabe.

I have been sewing clothing since I was 5, and didn't start quilting
until 2000. Hubby has finally gotten tired of my fabric addiction
without any financial return, so I am starting a business and will be
debuting the first product in March at a local craft fair (100%
reversible fleece sleeping bags...guaranteed to last a minimum of 4
years according to the one my son has!). A friend is doing the business
design work for me and has everything that I can do/have done listed, so
this is a bit scary.

I am the official go-to person for my husband's office when they need
things sewn - right now they want me to make a beanie with a dart on it
(long story) and I am waiting to hear how many participants we will be
having for the next baby quilt that needs to be made.

Oh, not that I forgot him, but I have been married for a little over 10
years to a wonderful man who has a hobby more expensive than mine (so
there nyah!) and has been indulgent up until this year. However, he
decided that I needed the extra bedroom for my work and has waited
patiently for his space to be finished - which it will be this summer!!
We are probably one of the longest lasting "met on the internet, but
NOT through a dating service" couples around these days...but that's
another story for another time.

Larisa, aka the off-kilter quilter
Old January 30th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I second that! I have 4 big bananas ready to sacrifice their skins for
banana bread!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old January 30th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Nothing too special about this one -- it's straight out of the Betty
Crocker cookbook -- but I do get compliments on it
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeID=35305&Source=SearchResultPage

Julia in MN
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old January 30th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I am 58 years old. I started sewing garments when I was about 13 years old.
I continued sewing off & on, but as I got older & had demanding jobs, it was
less & less. About 7 years ago, I pulled the machine out & started making
skirts. DH thought my old Singer Genie was too noisy & perhaps I should
have a new "quieter" machine. The store I bought my machine from teaches a
variety of classes. One of the classes offered at the time was a "stack &
slash" style quilt. It was in beautiful bright colors. I thought quilts
were only made in drab, dark colors, so this caught my eye. The instructor
was in the store at the time & assured me a beginner could make this quilt.
I left the store with my new Viking No.1+ and signed up for the quilt class.

I haven't looked back since then. DH says he has no one else to blame, but
himself for complaining about my noisy Singer Genie. If he had just kept
quiet, who knows when I would have discovered quilting.

I am married to my 2nd (& last) husband. We have been married 14 years - we
lived together for about 10 years before getting married. We actually met
when I was 16 years old, but lost touch for several years - we never dated
when I was a teenager.

We have 1 QI, a 3 year old Brittany who we are working on spoiling rotten.
He is the love of our lives. We have no children.

DH & I are both retired - he retired at 50 & I guess I retired at 50 also.
When I was released to go back to work, after being ill for one year, DH
thought it would be nice if we could both be retired. Who am I to fight
with good common sense!

We live in the SF Bay Area - we've considered relocating, but can't seem to
find anyplace we think is as nice as where we live, so I guess we're
staying, especially after all the work we have been doing to our house.

DH took up woodturning when he retired & quite enjoys it. He has sold many
pieces & is currently assisting teaching a beginner woodturning class at the
local Adult Ed.

I take lots of classes (too many UFO's now) & I'm very active in my Guild.
I also volunteer for the Tax Aide Program of Contra Costa (sponsored by IRS
& AARP).

Oh - & I just got a brand new car last week. It's a Buick Enclave & I'm in
love with this car. Anyone want me to deliver fat quarters to them? - I'll
go anywhere in this car

Pauline
Northern California

Old January 30th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

It seems to me that sweet Cubbe didn't particularly care for your
arrangement. Sort of looks like he gave it a swift kick before he made
himself comfortable. Polly

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 03:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 01:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM