Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 29th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr[_2_]

Default Time for another Roll Call?

I'll go next. I was born in Idaho and most of my relatives are in
Idaho but I was raised from 10 - 18 in Livermore, CA (where Alex
Anderson is. We graduated from different high schools one year apart.
I didn't know any of this until I got hooked on Simply Quilts.) I
went to U. of Idaho with some cousins and met my husband who is a
third generation farmer on Black Cat Rd. in Meridian, ID. So he has
lived nowhere else, and I have now lived on or right next to it for
about 33 years. We have two daughters. First is 28. She and her
husband teach high school English in Boise and live within a mile of
us. They just had their first baby Sat. night. We are all SO
excited! The second is in her last semester at San Diego State and
hoping to go into the travel guide business. We have no animals but
I'm a big fan of dark chocolate. I started quilting in 1990 when I
was out of work as a computer programmer/analyst for a few months. I
took a class and things have escalated from there. I mostly use my
Viking Designer 1, but also use Viking #1 and treadle, and just got a
Little Gracie II and Juki for it. I am getting close to trying it
out. Just finishing cloth leaders and then have to make a big muslin
sandwich to practice on. I love to try different techniques. Due to
arthritic fingers I don't do much by hand anymore. My quilts and
other pics are at http://community.webshots.com/user/idahoqltr
Old January 29th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

OK, me next!

Hi, i'm Amy. soon to be the big "5-0"...ugh...anywho...i'm the office
manager for a surgeon, been here 15 years. i also do the billing and
receptionist stuff. All in all..i do it all.....i've been married
twice (and divorced twice--TG!!), have two wonderful kids...Jimi is 26
and just out of the Marines. he's living with his fiance' in LA, she's
a sweetie. My daughter Liz is soon to be 20 and is in college. she's
my salvation. keeps me (sorta) sane and young!

i love, love, love chocolate. anykind, anywhere. MY MOTTO: Chocolate
is a food group, because i said so. LOL!

My QI's name is Cricket. she's a springer spaniel mix and just a
little honey. She'll be 17 this year. follows me everywhere and loves
to keep my feet warm under the sewingmachine and on the couch. She has
her own bed, so no furries on my quilts.
she is allowed on the bed, she just has such bad arthritis that she
cant get up there without help. i know she hasnt many good years left,
so, we enjoy ice cream and car rides whenever we can.

i own my own home in Vernon, New York, and currently have it up for
sale. My DS wants us to move to California near him. i'm game for
anything.

i drive a Scion tC, 5 speed, and LOVE it!! so much fun. (is it the mid-
life crisis sinking in???)LOL

i love to quilt. from picking out a pattern, fabric and layout, to
actual quilting. even putting the binding on is fun. i love to sit at
my machine with the radio on and sun streaming in the windows. i have
a White 999, and a Singer of some sort. i really want a new machine,
but haven't had time to testdrive anything. My DS and DM also quilt.
I've been at it since i was 14 or so. Couldn't live without it.

i havent been in this group long, but they are the most fun, caring,
friendly, and knowledgable group of people i have ever met. Hope i can
be here for a long time!

amy in CNY (central new york)
Old January 29th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

I've been around for quite a while (age wise and RCTQ-wise.) I live in
coastal Maine, but was born in Oregon. I taught elementary school for about
6 yrs and then decided it was time to "see the world" before I settled down.
I worked for a couple of years in Japan for the Dept.of Defense (Overseas
Dependent Schools) and got to see a lot of Asian countries. 'Twas there
(Japan) where I met my DH - a Navy guy! Long story short -- "Join the Navy
and see the World!" Married 39+ years, six kids, six Grands, and one GGD
(with another due any week now!)

I learned to "sew" from my DGM - on an old treadle machine.... didn't use
fabric ('twould be a waste!) but she'd draw a line on an old piece of (used)
paper and put a "dead" needle in the machine and taught me how to follow a
line by making holes G Needless-to-say, I grew up in a "use it up / wear
it out / make it do / or do without" household. But, by the time I was in
7th grade, I could make my own dresses (Home Ec was borrrrring!) I made my
first quilt top when I was 19 for my dorm room. (my college roommate and I
traded pieces of fabric so the two quilts would sorta match.) I didn't get
"hooked" on quilts till I had kids and made them baby quilts.

We've got one QI - a beagle mix rescue dog named Gus. Rescue doggies are the
best-est!
I love almost all chocolates!
--
ME-Judy
ajhusman at blazenetme dot net

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

Old January 29th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

My question was something about teamwork vs competitiveness ,the
importance and how to teach both to kids. Never had to put it to the
test because I didn't/don't have kids. VBG
Pati, in Phx and I still have my "medal" from that contest win too.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Just curious... do you remember your final essay question? Mine was what
would you do if you had two children with one who excelled at everything
they did and the other who didn't do nearly as well (not exactly those
words). That question became the 'real thing' for me with my two sons- but
not to that degree. That question in the contest has always stuck in my
mind- going on 40 years now. OMG, Pati, FORTY years!!!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"Pati C." wrote in message
I won in 1968 at Tucson High. VBG And if you saw my house you wouldn't
even have to ask. VBG

Pati, in Phx

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
OMG! Pati, I also won The Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow award in
my senior year! That was 1968 in Flagstaff..... Did you turn out to be
a great homemaker? If you saw my house right now you'd know that *I*
certainly didn't! LOL

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"Pati C." wrote in message
Guess it about my turn.G
I'm Pati, in Phoenix,AZ. Married to DH Rick for 27 years, second
marriage for both of us. No kids. Several feline QIs, Cloud is the
oldest, female dark tiger. Silver, another female (silver/grey
tiger/tabby) who moved in. She actually "belongs" to the people across
the street, but has decided that she lives here and I am her person. She
is soon to visit the vet to be "copy protected". Two of her kittens have
stayed with us, Scamper (male, looks like his mother) who lost the tip
of his tail when he was a baby and his sister, Scurry (a dark ticked
tabby)who will always be a small cat. Then there is Groucho, the tuxedo
cat, with a black mustache and "goatee". He also just moved in. (I am
allergic to cats, we weren't going to have any more but they came and DH
is a softy that evidently cannot exist without cats around. sigh)

Born in Tucson,AZ. Lived in California for a few years as a child
(except for summers back in Tucson or traveling. Parents were both
teachers.) Lived in Cottonwood,AZ for 2 years before we moved back to
Tucson in time for me to start junior high.
I started sewing in Junior High. One year of high school Home Ec. and
started making a lot of me own clothes. Actually won the "Betty Crocker
Homemaker of Tomorrow" contest at my school my senior year. G
Started college as a biology/psychology double major, pre-med student.
Changed to the School of Home Ec. after 2 years. Graduated in Clothing
and Textiles, worked on my Master's then ended up moving to Phoenix
after separating from my husband. Couldn't manage to get to Tucson once
a week to finish my thesis so the Master's is incomplete.

Got my secondary certification in Home Ec, math and science. Did my
student teaching in math, because "there are no jobs in Home Ec." then
got a job teaching Home Ec. in a south Phoenix K-8 school. Did that for
about 6 and a half years. Started working at a House of Fabrics and
ended up there full time, as assistant manager. Went through the
transition to Jo-Ann's and that is when I started really quilting. G
I had taken a beginning quilting class, all hand work, cutting templates
out with sandpaper on the back, drawing the lines and so on. But now I
started taking a few machine piecing classes. And got hooked big time.
Now I teach at one of the local quilt shops. And will teach almost
anywhere. VBG Love to teach when people want to learn.
Am trying to start a pattern company, and hope to get DH to get my
website up soon......... sigh.

Love bright colors, and reproduction fabrics and most colors. (Hate
pink, but use it when it is needed.) In general I love fabric. VBG And
have stash to prove it.
Sew on a Husqvarna/Viking #1 most of the time, also have a Viking Rose,
with embroidery module, 2 sergers and a Singer 66 in a table. DH, Rick,
not only supports my habit he has been known to bring me fabric when he
travels.
Oh, Rick is a writer/author. He is good at it, but there are times the
money just doesn't come in and markets dry up. Right now things are
going fairly well, and we hope it continues this way for a few more
years until he can start to collect Social Security. He also does
jewelry work and some woodworking.
We both collect books. (There are probably 20,000 books in the house,
even with Rick culling and getting rid of a lot of them.

This has gotten way too long.... so any questions, please ask.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 29th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jill -Critter Comforts

Most know me as the Doggie Quilt Lady, actually I sew "blankies" for the
dogs and cats at a dozen animal rescue outside of Detroit. I also make
toys for the furbabies as well as raffle baskets, embroidered items for
the rescues to sell to raise money. I have been working for the animals
fulltime for 4 years now.
My background is in floral design. I loved it!! I had to leave the
industry about 13 years ago after developing allegeries to every pollen
known to man and adding asthma on top of it. Luckily, it's all under
control.
Been married for 24 years to my high school sweetheart. No kids, but a
wonderful rescued QI, Jack, who makes sure that I keep sewing for the
animals.

Critter Comforts: Quilts for Homeless Animals
http://community.webtv.net/critterco...ritterComforts

Old January 29th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i thot i did that below?
i count 30 words.
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote...
Oh, come on, Jeanne. I didn't say anything. Surely you can do that too in 50
words or less. Polly

"nzlstar*" wrote...
i cant decide if i've nothing to tell or too much to tell,
so as i'm hot and tired,
i'm opting for the lesser of the two.
i know noooooooooothing!!
j.

Old January 29th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

sorry, summerheat brain here.
cant think well enough.
who poops in a party anyhow.
how rude!
nothing or too much still holds true. : /
j.

"maryd" wrote...
party pooper....... LOL
--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old January 29th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

Thought a pointer to all our picture sites, etc. might be a good idea
here too.

http://www.geocities.com/rctq_quilters/

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Good idea, Sally!

Okay, here goes for me:

I was born near Chicago in 1948 (I'm still 59, but that will change this
summer G), moved to Baltimore about two years later and then to
Arizona (Ft. Huachuca, pronounced "Wa choo' kuh") in 1953-ish. Daddy was
in the Army, in case you haven't guessed. G When he retired in 1957,
we moved to Tucson, where I finished most of my growing up. I graduated
from Arizona State University and became a high school French teacher,
moving to Douglas, AZ, for what was supposed to be one year and turned
into 28 -- all because I met DH there. We've been married now for almost
36 years.

I'd grown up sewing, though I discovered in college that things turned
out better when I followed the directions instead of doing things as my
mother had. I began quilting somewhere along about 1985, when our two
DDs began wanting store-bought clothes like their friends wore. LOL. I
had tried macramé, cross-stitch and a variety of other crafts, but once
quilting entered my life, everything else has just disappeared.

Because of a dear friend I met in this group, I've been going to the
"really big shew" in Houston for a few years now, and I also try to take
as many classes locally as possible -- I have to make up for the years
when nothing was available in Douglas!

DH and I moved here in 1999, after I retired. Our two DDs and their DHs
live here, and so do our four DGSs and one infant DGD. We have Dexter, a
lab-chow mix who is as sweet as they come, but he isn't really very
interested in being a dedicated QI. He checks on me periodically in my
sewing room, but he's happiest finding a quiet corner to take the naps
that a 13-year-old sweetheart deserves. His calm may be disturbed quite
soon, though; stay tuned for an update on the QI front.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 29th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

Hi all,

I'm from Canada with 1 DH, 2 kids, and 4 QIs. I work in a research lab
and quilt in bits and pieces when I can find the time. I've been
quilting about 10 years now (not counting the 1 scrap quilt I did way
back as a teenager). Everyone in the family has multiple quilts for
their beds or for general purpose snuggling so I am doing more art
quilts now. They are smaller (this is good for someone with a lack of
time1) and I can try out lots of new techniques (hey, I'm a scientist, I
LIKE experimenting). I belong to a local quilt guild (we having a show
this coming May, will let you know more about that closer to the date).
If I don't do a little *something* quilty every day I start to get
antsy so I guess I am a confirmed quiltaholic! LOL

Allison in Montreal

Sally Swindells wrote:
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England. She
has her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given up
having a beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired and
looks considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting about
6 years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter,
lots of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date. At
the moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have spent
the evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal
Trainer is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

Old January 29th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jolene S

I'm Jolene -- living a life split between north-central Massachusetts
and northern Maine. There was a plan a couple of years ago to work
from home full time and sell off the Massachusetts tax burden, but
then work changed it's corporate mind and now I'm caught in the
middle. Mind you, the middle still receives a paycheck to spend at
the fabric store, so it's not all bad!

I have one son, now 18 and in his first year of college. Wonderful
son, who is enjoying this phase of his life immensely. While I truely
enjoy his visits back home, and miss him when he is not here, I am
also enjoying the first time in my life when I haven't been a
caretaker/parent or responsible for someone else's well being. I'm
single (widow) and am just starting to fill my life with fun things to
do, like quilting. Been sewing since I was in grade school, making
clothes and such. Later, sewing meant making tents, backpacks, down
jackets and sleeping bags to support my hiking/camping enjoyment.
Now, with the house on a lake in Maine, the camping drive is much less
and the joy of quilting and getting to know other quilters fosters the
sewing.

Don't tell me you're retired -- I'll turn absolutely green with envy!
I'm a computer programmer/software QE person who spends most of her
time either breaking computer programs or writing other programs to
try to break them (sometimes known as automation). I work too much
and play too little -- but things liek the friendship star swap are
helping me put a little more balance back into my life.

Favorite hobbies include making stained glass windows, mobiles and sun
catchers, gourmet cooking, reading, canoeing, kayaking, and hiking.
I've also been known to enjoy cross country skiing, ice skating and
other sports vaguely remembered from childhood.

QI in the house is "Boo", an Australian Shepherd who is my dear
buddy. Goes almost everywhere with me and loves to play, anytime all
the time.

Chocolate? If you have to ask, you just don't understand it. It's
the elixir of life, the calmer of stress, the end all cure all. Next
in line, however, is that cup of wonderful tea and a friend with whom
to enjoy it!

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 03:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 01:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM