Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 31st 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Time for another Roll Call?

I'm Taria in the high desert of So. Cal. I hit the big 50 last year. I
am a retired SAHM adjusting to a dh (of 27+ years) that retired last
year. DS is in San Diego and DD lives down the hall but is threatening
to buy a house if the real estate crashes hard enough here. She is a
mapmaker and works in GIS. There are 4 QI's here. The golden girls are
Georgia and Ginger. They are almost 3 and 4 YO golden retrievers.
Lilly and Maki cats are inside cats here. There has been a new
interloper kitty outside dh has taken to feeding lately too.

I have sewn since I was a little kid. Amazing how many of us really
were just born with that. Mrs. Flatten and 4-H helped me learn to sew
pretty well. I took my first quilting class in '76 but really didn't
start quilting a lot until the last 10 years or so. I enjoy more
traditional work. I do keep a hand quilting project sort of handy but
most of my stuff I quilt on a home machine. I have a Janome 6600 I am
trying to get to know. I have collected old machines over the years.
Many are gone but there is a page with lots of photos:
http://mysite.verizon.net/siberianca...ages/index.htm
I have been involved with the a local guild for over 12 years and made
a lot of wonderful friends.

I enjoy gardening and cooking. I have sort of been in a creativity
slump in the last few years but I think I am digging my way out of that.
I've been hanging around RCTQ for years. I enjoy and appreciate all
you wonderful folks here.
Taria

Old January 31st 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I certainly hope that changed when you had children. (BEG.)
Gen

.. Couldn't even manage to diaper the right end of
a baby doll.

--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old January 31st 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA[_2_]

waving Hi Steph. I also live in the San Francisco Bay area (San Jose
Bay area?? I hear that SJ is now bigger than SF) and was raised in
upstate New York. Such a small world we have here in rctq-land, eh?

Rose in CA @}---------
Rosanne DOT Morgan AT sbcglobal DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission
errors. No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

StephM wrote:
StephM had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/quilting/Re-...all-87112-.htm
:
Hi! I joined the group a few days ago and what perfect timing – I’m
getting to meet you all through the roll call thread!

I just began quilting this month - taking a 5 week class at a local quilt
shop and Love it. My Mom has been quilting forever and I grew up with
it…finally got bitten by the bug myself. I really enjoy cross stitching
and been doing it on and off for over 20 years.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area, was raised in upstate New York. I
just moved in with my partner (DP? – not married yet!) We share our home
with two awesome cats. DP is in art school, loves video games, thinks my
quilting is great and he has a very cute British accent. George is a dark
tabby that I bottle raised and is my baby boy and Bean is a brown ticked,
blue-eyed feline queen. From the posts I see that QI refers to loved
fur-balls but what does it stand for?

This seems like a great group – I’m having a great time reading!!

Steph

-------------------------------------
Kamalaleah wrote:

I'll go next. My name is Tamara and live in Northern California with my
QI, Marshmallow DA Bunny. I am also retired and loving it. Not the
reason I retired, three shoulder surgeries in less than a year and a
half but love being able to do what I want when. Plus having time to
spend with my folks. I feel very lucky to have such great parents that
are good health and fun to be around. I must have done something right
in raising them

My Grandparents (Dad's parents) were tailors from the old country
(Russia. I remember my Mom making what I called three arm hole dresses
for my sister and me when were little. I still have the pattern she
used
to make the dresses. I took up quilting about 8 years ago after sewing
for years. I guess sewing is in my blood. I still like cross stitch. I
sometimes teach quilting classes at my local quilt store. LOVE dark
chocolate!!! The only reason I have a kitchen is it came with the
house.

Tamara

Sally Swindells wrote:
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a
general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001,
so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with
his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37
and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England.
She
has her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given
up
having a beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings
birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch!
(and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby
mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is
black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother
Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his
name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a
clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired
and
looks considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting
about
6 years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary
cutter,
lots of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two
things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter
so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown
and so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date.
At
the moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have
spent
the evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal

Trainer is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.quilting - 85634 messages and counting!

Old January 31st 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

We do mostly handwork. I have begun to bring in a sewing machine and
let a few use it each meeting. I have 20 4th and 5th graders and we
meet every two weeks and occasionally at lunch. I work with another
teacher who can't sew but is amazing at threading needles.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:35:13 -0500, "Kate G."
wrote:

I would love to know more about your quilt club. I'd love to get something
like that going?

Do you meet at the school? Do you do hand work... or do they use sewing
machines? I think this would be great fun (and definitely a challenge from
time to time!). I miss my classroom days.... but not enough to go back as a
regular teacher!

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Old January 31st 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ms P

"Kellie J Berger" wrote in message
. ..

oh dark chocolate and caramel (together or seperate) are my sweet
preferences.

that's about it for now!

Kellie

Ooooo, here's what you do, get some nice vanilla ice cream, one of the
single serve caramel apple dips and some dark chocolate syrup. Nuke the
caramel apple dip for just 15 seconds or so and pour over the ice cream, top
with dark chocolate syrup. Heaven.

--
Ms P, Queen of Scissors
http://community.webshots.com/user/MsB_Peacock

Old January 31st 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Turned 60 this past October! My students think I'm 75 but my neighbors
think I'm in my 40's. After a hard day at school, I think I'm about 95.

Started sewing clothing in junior high back in the 60's. Swore I'd never be
a quilter because I thought making all those squares and triangles and
blocks would be boring. But I kept going to quilt shows and looking at
Electric Quilt everytime someone was around to demo it. Took on quilting in
about 2004. Over the years, all my clothing patterns have shrunk. :-)

Grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio. Got married and moved to Maryland. Got
divorced 40 years ago! (Now that is something to celebrate!) Moved back to
Ohio. Got a Master's of Education in Counseling. Moved back to Maryland.
Moved across the river to Virginia. Then to Indianapolis. Now Sparks,
Nevada since 2001. Nope, not military. Just led a sheltered childhood and
wanted to see the US without living out of a suitcase. I'll probably retire
here. No tornadoes, no state taxes, no humidity. I don't think there's any
poison ivy either.

Been mostly teaching public school since 1968. Elementary, middle, high
school. Math, computer lab. Even spent a few years teaching adults in the
computer world. Currently 4th grade.

Only one QI these days. The shelter in Indianapolis said he needed to be an
only cat. That was back in '98. He started purring about 2 years ago.
BearCat -- possibly a badly bred Turkish Van. He's so soft but not good
enough for cat shows. Eh, who cares.

I am an early-to-bed early-to-rise person. Up at 4:00 AM Pacific Time, but
that's really only 7:00 AM Eastern. Spent over 50 years in that time zone!
My body hasn't adjusted to the time zone change.

I'm the keeper of the website with our picture links:
http://www.geocities.com/rctq_quilters/

And like Mary, I'm into paper-piecing these days. Participated in the 2006
Secret Swap Sister event. Participated in Jessamy's 2007 Starry Starry
Night Block Swap and the 2007 Baseball Swap. (Doesn't Spring Training start
soon? Puhleeeze!!!!) And I looooove playing with Electric Quilt.

When I'm not sewing, I'm reading.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

Old January 31st 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

omg, look at all the stuff you folks wrote...
i'm older than dirt, tho i know some here are older than me.
born there, live here.
i figure i btdt. done enough to qualify anyhow.
i love fabric. i quilt therefore i am.
nuff said,
j.

Old January 31st 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Conversely: I am ... therefore I quilt.
Pat
....cut...

Old January 31st 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Hi Rose, where in upstate New York are you from? My DH grew up in Potsdam,
New York.

--
Donna in NE La.

Old January 31st 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Ok, here goes.

I'm 53, living in Alberta, Canada about an hour NW of Calgary. I do NOT
consider myself an Albertan. I am Canadian. If I have to narrow it down, I
may go for Western Canadian. Born in BC. Moved to Saskatchewan when I was
19, with DH#1. Lived there for 25 years, got divorced and now I'm here.
I had 5 bio children with DH#1. DH#2 had 4 children when I met him. The
younger 2 living with us full time. He passed on in 2001. His younger 3 call
me Mom, the oldest was already a young mom when I came along, so we never
had a chance to get very close. So, that gave me 9 kids.
Met DH#3 in 2002. He had 5 bio kids plus 2 step kids from a second marriage,
and like me, kept them. So my 9 plus his 7 give us 16 children. Those 16
have been quite busy in the last 6 years. When DH#3 and I met there were 3
grandkids on my side and 6 on his side. Now there are 28, and 3 more on the
way. Yikes!
Only 3 of these are biologically mine, but they all call me Grama, and I
love them all.
After being a stay at home mom for many years I went back to school and
became an office admin person in the legal world. Then tried my hand at Real
Estate sales for awhile. Now I have a contract with Canada Post, that takes
approx 1 1/2 hours each weekday, and DH and I own and operate a hobby supply
business from home (knifemaking supplies).
We bought 5 acres of forest last fall about a 20 minute drive from where we
live now. We hope to get started on building a house there come spring. We
did manage to get a building site cleared and a driveway built before freeze
up.
Like many other here, I have sewn since I was a little girl. From my early
teens I knew that "some day" I wanted to make quilts and saved every scrap.
I did make a few baby quilts in my later teens - early 20's but didn't
tackle a bed size quilt till I was into my 30's. That first one almost
finished my quiltmaking. It was simple 4 inch squares, cut from scraps and
old clothing with scissors, after tracing around a cardboard template. Then
sewing them into 100 inch long rows. You can imagine the nightmare trying
to match all those seams when I joined the rows together! They didn't!
Thankfully, I met another who introduced me to rotary cutting, and I bought
a book! I think in terms of bed size quilts when I see patterns that I like.
I have made wall hangings, table toppers, lap quilts, baby quilts,
placemates, tea cozies, etc but my brain seems to think quilts belong on
beds. I like traditional pieced patterns best. I used to really like hand
work, including applique, but the last few years time is at a premium, and
my eyesight seems to be getting worse, so most of what I do is by machine
these days.
For machines, my newest is a Janome 6500 that I have had for about 3 years
now. I also have a Bernina 830, which was the best machine ever, and if I
had room, I would have it set up too. I also have a featherweight, a
handcrank of some sort, and my mothers old machine, a metal 2 ton monster.
The feather weight was a gift from my DS and his wife. The handcrank DH#3
found on Ebay and bought for me. I haven't used either, other than to see if
they actually worked, then they got packed away waiting patiently for the
day we would move to our "new" house.
My quilting haven is destined to be in the basement of this new house -
eventually. We have a loft area planned for upstairs that will look down
into the living room, and I think that until I get MY space done in the
basement I will set my desk and machine up there. There won't be space up
there to store stash and supplies or I would claim that space as my own. The
"spare room" on the mainfloor has already been claimed by our "supply
store".
Well, now you know more that you ever wanted to, and its time for me to head
for bed.

Quilty hugs to all

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
[...]

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM