OT needing ice cream experts

Old June 14th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default OT needing ice cream experts

DH is a very good sport about our 'fat-free' diet but ice cream used to be
such a favorite of his. So. Therefore. I am going to invent wonderful ice
cream that doesn't contain egg yolks or fat. The stuff at the grocery
leaves an after-taste much like Mop 'n Glo and I'm sure 'we' can do better.
One of the recipes I've found calls for an envelope of powdered whipped
topping. That sounds like it might work. The recipe calls for TWO teaspoons
of vanilla to make only 2½ cups. The ice cream freezer is big enough to
double the recipe but I'm thinking four teaspoons of vanilla is going to be
waaaaay too much. The 'theory' is that your tastebuds are dulled by
something frozen and ice cream needs a heavy hand with flavoring. I'm going
to need some guidance as well as some taste-testers. Naturally, there will
be chocolate cake to go with it. Polly

Old June 14th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

If all else fails, try the Low Fat Ice Cream
Sandwiches. Some brands are Klondike, Skinny Cow, and
Weight Watchers, IIRC. My fav is the Klondike. Even non
dieters like these! I don't think they taste like Mop n
Glo, but it has been ages since I've indulged in a MnG
cocktail!!
PAT in VA/USA

Old June 15th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

DH is a very good sport about our 'fat-free' diet but ice cream used
to be such a favorite of his. So. Therefore. I am going to invent
wonderful ice cream that doesn't contain egg yolks or fat.

It's called "sorbet" and it probably predates ice cream by centuries.
Inventing it would put you alongside that Australian who recently
patented the wheel.

Old June 15th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Every 'sorbet' I've ever tasted is *nothing* like ice cream. It's the
creamy- not just the cold and sweet- that is the attraction..

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
DH is a very good sport about our 'fat-free' diet but ice cream used
to be such a favorite of his. So. Therefore. I am going to invent
wonderful ice cream that doesn't contain egg yolks or fat.

It's called "sorbet" and it probably predates ice cream by centuries.
Inventing it would put you alongside that Australian who recently
patented the wheel.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old June 15th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Polly,
I just made some wonderful ice cream, though a far cry from "fat free".

It called for the traditional "custard" to be cooked on stove top (eggs,
cream, etc), and while it was cooking, it called for an entire vanilla
bean, split open lengthwise and the little seeds scooped out.

After it was put together with all of the other ingredients, it called
for an additional 2 tsps of vanilla. I thought that was overkill too,
but the flavor was divine.
Why not split the difference and put in 3? Or...... use two, plus a
vanilla bean.

After I simmered the bean in the ice cream custard, I rinsed it off and
dried it on some paper towels overnight, and then tucked it in a little
plastic container with about 2 cups of sugar. I hear that vanilla sugar
is spectacular for baking.

Patti in Seattle

Old June 15th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Polly, I don't qualify mine as low fat, but it is egg free so maybe it
will help you with the ratios.... and everyone always raves.... it's
really simple... just use the directions that go with your maker for
procedures ...here you go:

Vanilla
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups half and half
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Chocolate
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups half and half
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old June 15th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

DH is a very good sport about our 'fat-free' diet but ice cream used to be
such a favorite of his. So. Therefore. I am going to invent wonderful ice
cream that doesn't contain egg yolks or fat. The stuff at the grocery
leaves an after-taste much like Mop 'n Glo and I'm sure 'we' can do better.
One of the recipes I've found calls for an envelope of powdered whipped
topping. That sounds like it might work. The recipe calls for TWO teaspoons
of vanilla to make only 2½ cups. The ice cream freezer is big enough to
double the recipe but I'm thinking four teaspoons of vanilla is going to be
waaaaay too much. The 'theory' is that your tastebuds are dulled by
something frozen and ice cream needs a heavy hand with flavoring. I'm going
to need some guidance as well as some taste-testers. Naturally, there will
be chocolate cake to go with it. Polly

The other part of it is that fat carries flavor. Less fat means you
have to bump up other things to get the same taste. That's likely why
so much vanilla.

We're doing strawberry sorbet tonight. It's actually hot here and the
produce delivery had a beautiful basket of strawberries in it. No fat,
no eggs, but definitely different than ice cream.

Later in the week we'll have blackberry frozen yogurt. You can use any
fruit you like. It's more like ice cream than sorbet.

I quart plain non-fat yogurt
1 C sugar
1 C crushed fruit (berries or peaches are my favorites)

Stir up until sugar is dissolved and pour into ice cream freezer.

I keep thinking I will play around and make chocolate one day but I
never have.

marcella
Old June 15th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Yum--love Skinny Cow!!

--
Donna in NE La.
"Debbi in SO CA" wrote in message
I love Skinny Cow!
Debbi in SO CA

Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

White/Cream with Black scrap request: was: Black, white & cream scraps/charms needed Kathy Applebaum Quilting 1 July 22nd 06 11:48 PM
asking experts Mary Needlework 134 May 16th 06 01:01 AM
OT - any bug experts here? JS Quilting 20 April 7th 04 06:48 AM
I need help you experts!! VIRGINIA Sewing 4 December 5th 03 08:34 PM