What would you do?

Old August 22nd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

Default What would you do?

Hi all,

Just thought I'd get some opinions on a problem that has come up.

When people find out you make quilts they all want one. Problem is, I don't
mind making relatives one for free, but my MIL has asked me to make her
bosses one each (she has two bosses) for Christmas. She says she will pay me
for it. If I charged by the time and effort I put into it, she couldn't pay
me for it. I know she's thinking $20-50.

Another thing that has irked me is that I made my MIL one in January and she
informed me (the same day she asked me to make her bosses one and to make
her a bedspread and matching shams for her bed) that she is going to put the
one I made for her in January in a yard sale. I said, "Don't sell it in a
yard sale, I'll buy it back." And she said, "Well, it's faded."
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I get across to her that this stuff takes a lot of time??? She told
me that making quilts for people at Christmas was a *cheap* way to give
presents, too. I don't think she is trying to be mean, but she has no idea
the time and effort that goes into this stuff. Hubby has somewhat of an
idea of how much time and effort I put into it, but he is real protective of
his mother, so I have to approach this delicately. LOL

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

Debbie

Old August 22nd 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

I'd tell her what it would *really* cost to make a quilt

count:
materials
time x minimum wage
electricity costs (for sewing machine/lights/iron)
notions

then ask if she is prepared to pay that for her bosses gifts.

note: I usually say it's 800 euros for a king quilt and that's only for the
materials - most people go silent and don't mention it again LOL
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old August 22nd 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

I would be upfront about the costs and include your time. I would also tell
her that you don't have time nor inclination to make a spread, shams, etc
having so recently made her the quilt.

--
Mary
"Debbie" wrote in message
: Hi all,
:
[...]
: !!!!!!!!!!!!!
:

Old August 22nd 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr

I agree with the other two. I tell people that my "hug" size quilts
cost over $100 in materials alone. I don't quilt on commission at all.
Requests need to go to someone who is willing to do that kind of work
for money.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Erin

maryd wrote:
I would be upfront about the costs and include your time. I would also tell
her that you don't have time nor inclination to make a spread, shams, etc
having so recently made her the quilt.

Yes, this sounds like a good idea. I would *definitely* steer clear of
the whole situation. The MIL obviously doesn't understand the
time/energy/skill that goes into making even a small quilt. She'll
probably feel ripped-off if you charge her *anything* like a
reasonable rate for your work. And your husband may well feel caught in
the middle.

Been There, Done That (can ya tell?!!!)

Erin
http://arkivarie.livejournal.com/

Old August 22nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

Gosh, I feel better. I felt like a whiney butt for even grumbling about it,
but when she said she was going to put that one in the yard sale and it
isn't even a year old yet, my blood pressure hit the roof!!! It was obvious
she had no appreciation for my time and effort.

So far I've been making wall hangings to use as throws, they are about
68x68. I don't have a clue what to charge. I would estimate about 30???
hours to put together and stitch in the ditch and stippling and all that
good stuff. And maybe $30-50 for all materials.

Sorry I can't convert euros. How much is 800 euros?

I was hoping this was a common occurence, so I thank you all for answering
and so quickly, too!

As it is, I haven't even made my sister or other daughter or sister in laws
one yet, and MIL wants one for complete strangers. I can't get all that done
before Christmas and family comes first!!! I have no backbone is the
problem.

What wuld you all charge for a log cabin quilt that size -- roughly? I was
thinking $200, but that sounds like a lot. ex. 30 hours x 5.00 an hour + $50
in materials.

Debbie

Old August 22nd 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

I'd tell her what it would *really* cost to make a quilt

count:
materials
time x minimum wage
electricity costs (for sewing machine/lights/iron)
notions

then ask if she is prepared to pay that for her bosses gifts.

note: I usually say it's 800 euros for a king quilt and that's only for
the
materials - most people go silent and don't mention it again LOL
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos

Yes, I need a comeback like this. I had a complete stranger in a chat room
ask me if I would send her one. I didn't even know her. First time in the
chat room under the name "Quilter". Needless to say I changed that name
immediately!!!

Debbie

Old August 22nd 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

"maryd" mardor@*net wrote in message
I would be upfront about the costs and include your time. I would also
tell
her that you don't have time nor inclination to make a spread, shams, etc
having so recently made her the quilt.

Ohhhh, Mary, if only I had the nerve. LOL

Debbie

Old August 22nd 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Debbie wrote:
[...]

I'd just tell her straight: You need to take more care of things that
cost $X00 in materials and take 40-50 hours to make. Then just leave
it. Once you give someone something, it's theirs to do with as they
will. But you don't ever need to make her anything again.

As for the boss quilts: sit down with her, pick out 3-4 patterns and
cost them up in materials. Tell her: This will cost you $X00 in
materials, and will take me 45 hours to make at $Z0 an hour, for a total
cost of $Y000. Each! If she squawks about the costs, just agree and
ask her just how much she loves those bosses! If she tells you you are
being mercenary, just say: For *you*, as a present from me for you to
keep, I make for love. For anyone else, and for you to give to others I
don't know and love, I charge the going rate. And then let her think
about it.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 22nd 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

Yes, this sounds like a good idea. I would *definitely* steer clear of
the whole situation. The MIL obviously doesn't understand the
time/energy/skill that goes into making even a small quilt. She'll
probably feel ripped-off if you charge her *anything* like a
reasonable rate for your work. And your husband may well feel caught in
the middle.

Been There, Done That (can ya tell?!!!)

Erin
http://arkivarie.livejournal.com/

Well, Erin, did you make her one or steer clear? LOL.

Debbie