LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 14th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

The other day we had a little family wedding shower for my niece (she
and her finance just hit the courthouse with their parents so we didn't
get a chance to do anything beforehand) The phone rang, her mom handed
it to her and she chatted while we were all waiting for her to finish
unwrapping a gift. sigh. Finally off the phone, opened said gift.
Phone rang again and a conversation of at least 5 minutes went on while
we sat waiting. She put the phone down next to me. I very quietly slid
it off the table, into my lap and removed the battery. :-) No more
interruptions. Battery went back after dessert. Yes, I can be an evil
aunt but sheesh.

Good for you, Marcella! I love the convenience of having a cell phone
(it's the *only* way to reach DH when he's between schools where he has
to observe student teachers), but I can't imagine why people can't turn
them off or at least silence them when in a meeting, movie, etc. It
drives me nuts!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 14th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

yes I'm afraid so

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

judy in fort worth

Old June 14th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wow, that is one trust worthy person. When I went to PEI, geezz 15 years
ago (my how time flies) I was flabbergasted to see potato stands on the side
of the road with a container of money and no one tending to it. Having been
raised in the big city, I had never seen this. People just didn't do that
unless they didn't care about losing the money and product. I don't know if
people on the island still do that. It is such a quaint place, so
picturesque.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Treasure your Mind, Cherish your Reason, Hold to your Purpose
Epictetus (52 c.e - 135 c.e.)

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Here's a positive retail story: At the quilt show last week, about 2

minutes
before I was supposed to meet my traveling companions/enabling quilt

buddies
at the car (we were on a bit of a schedule with a long drive home), I
spotted some great fabric on a vendor's table. Picked up a piece and

spotted
some more! Oh agony -not much cash in the wallet, and she didn't take

cards.
No online shopping, no bricks-and-mortar store either. Her entire business
is at shows. But no problem, she said, I could take all the fabric I

wanted
and just transfer the money to her bank account! She said she'd never been
disappointed trusting her customers. Since I was in a rush, I just took

the
piece I could afford. Would have been way too tempting to grab a whole
tableful on credit!
Roberta in D

"Sandy Ellison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Howdy!

LOL!
Been there!

It's been a few years since I worked at the lqs
but when I go in--some things haven't changed. g

The most galling was the woman who owns a shop 40 miles north of here.
She only kept that shop open 1 or 2 days a week (one of those hobby
shop owners, Susan L.P.); she took her shop on the road once or twice,
always to the Dallas show because that's a biggie. So she was in the

shop
w/ her friend/employee, asking one of my bosses (the quilter one)
all kinds of questions about running the shop. My boss was such a

newbie
to this experience (a fabulous quilter, just not a business person),
she was actually trying to answer everything. When she had to refer to
her partner, K, I just rolled my eyes at K who had been taking it all in
from another room. K suddenly became deaf&dumb, wouldn't answer
questions,
played she was on the phone. g Finally the woman from the other shop
got ready to leave, asking, "Btw, where's the nearest JoAnn or Cloth

World
or Hancocks?" THEN we all gave her directions to get her out of the
store.

Other just-not-thinking customers/students: loudly telling everyone

where
she got her fabric (not here) and how much she saved--while sitting in

the
classroom during a lesson; "I never buy the stuff they sell here!"

Bringing a quilt book to the cutting table and saying, "I want that
fabric!" without a clue as to how old the book is, who made the fabric,
or how many years it's been since that fabric was sold. But this

customer
(& there are many of them) wants to make THAT quilt EXACTLY the way it
looks. Those of us who've quilted for years probably recognize the

fabric
& know "it's no longer available"; we clerks offer alternatives but
sometimes the customer just gives up because it's not an EXACT match.

Coming to class with a machine she's never used, not even sure how to
turn it on--"I didn't take the new owner's class at the shop when I

bought
this thing; why bother?" ...uh, because we don't have time or energy

or
knowledge to teach you about it right now, lady! g

But, I enjoyed the job, the customers, the quilts, the fabric,
the shows, working the shows, all of it. I only quit when the cost of
hand cream became prohibitive (the finishing chemicals on the fabrics
eats up my skin-- pre-wash, pre-wash, pre-wash!) BG
and the bosses couldn't get along with each other.

The camaraderie you find in a good quilt shop can't be beat. When the
customers chime in, knowing their opinions & comments are welcome
when someone is asking about "what colors?" and "how do I do this

part?"
and "where's a good place to eat around here?" And the customers in

turn
include the employees in the fun they're having, too. ;-)

Working in retail's crazy anyway. 8-

Ragmop/Sandy --never met a stranger in a quilt shop

p.s. isn't it amazing that millions of people lived their lives
BEFORE the mobile phones came around?

On 6/14/06 11:00 AM, in article
, "joan8904 in
Bellevue
Nebraska" wrote:

A disclaimer--I have worked for almost 2 years in my local LQS and I
love my job and the customers.

I do enjoy reading your comments regarding your local quilt stores,
both positive and negative. There's always something to learn and it's
good to hear from the customer viewpoint.

But, on the other hand, I could make (short) list of complaints that I
have about customers.
*Talking on cell phone while shopping and while being waited on.
*Taking cell phone calls during a class despite and despite a (gentle)
suggestion otherwise.
*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.
*Coming into the store 15 minutes before closing time to select 15
fabrics for a color-wash trip around the world.
*Calling to see if we have a fabric from 5 years ago that you bought at
another store. No manufacturer name, no collection name. Just 'pink
with little white flowers.' I'll try, but don't expect a miracle.
*Attempting to return a kit you bought at another store.
*Coming in to pick up the Mystery Quilt clue and announcing in a very
loud voice that you're off to another quilt store to buy your fabric.
And you'll be back for all future clues. Of course.

It does help to have a good sense of humor when working in any retail
environment! :

joan

Old June 14th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Seems about half the complaints center around cell phones. And then
people wonder why various school districts have banned cell phones in
schools. Adults can't even control themselves with the pesky things.
How well do you think a teenager is going to do?

Michelle in NV

Old June 14th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Judy: I would have figured the fabric
requirements myself. With the aid of a
calculator, and a graph sketch, it is
not difficult. There are some quilter's
math books available too. If I needed
extra help, I'd ask another quilter to
double check my math. I would not take
up the shop employee's time. JMHO. But I
certainly do NOT think you were
deserving of a tongue lashing for your
suggestion! I do look forward to seeing
the quilt; it sounds lovely.
PAT in VA/USA
Old June 14th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It is not unusual around here at roadside egg stands and corn stands too. I
think they may lose money on occasion but that doesn't happen often and I
guess it's cheaper than paying someone to watch over the cash.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old June 14th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sandy Ellison wrote:
p.s. isn't it amazing that millions of people lived their lives
BEFORE the mobile phones came around?

There was life before mobile phones?

*ducks and runs*

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old June 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have one (for emergencies in the car), but it is never on - and I
don't know its number g
..
In message , Jessamy
writes
I *still* don't have a mobile hehehe

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 14th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:

*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.

If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
unruly children into a store? I mean, does
the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
make them unruly? I do not mean to be
facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.

If we could not bring children in, then I'm
relegated to only ordering fabric online. Or
DH has to stay outside with the kids, and that's
not always the best place to be.

Obviously, there ought to be some standard for
basic politeness, such as regarding cell phones,
making outrageous return demands, etc. However,
isn't there any room so that children, while
being children, would still be allowed to go
into a little store without raising eyebrows?

-- Anita --
Old June 14th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article et,
Irrational Number wrote:

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:

*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.

If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
unruly children into a store? I mean, does
the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
make them unruly? I do not mean to be
facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.

Depends. How's that for definitive.

When I am teaching it is quite distracting when little ones wander in
and start "browsing" through student supplies. Sometimes the call for
"where's the grown-up" go unheeded because the grown up is busy shopping
and grateful for the peace.

I do think wandering is a problem. If children outnumber grown up hands
to hold than a stroller, backpack or something needs to come in to play.

Yelling doesn't go on all that long usually and frankly sometimes adults
are just as loud.

If they wander, how do they not also touch fabric? It is a ground level
generally.

marcella

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 07:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM