LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 14th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

A disclaimer--I have worked for almost 2 years in my local LQS and I
love my job and the customers.

I do enjoy reading your comments regarding your local quilt stores,
both positive and negative. There's always something to learn and it's
good to hear from the customer viewpoint.

But, on the other hand, I could make (short) list of complaints that I
have about customers.
*Talking on cell phone while shopping and while being waited on.
*Taking cell phone calls during a class despite and despite a (gentle)
suggestion otherwise.
*Bringing unruly children into the store and letting them roam, crawl,
yell, etc.
*Coming into the store 15 minutes before closing time to select 15
fabrics for a color-wash trip around the world.
*Calling to see if we have a fabric from 5 years ago that you bought at
another store. No manufacturer name, no collection name. Just 'pink
with little white flowers.' I'll try, but don't expect a miracle.
*Attempting to return a kit you bought at another store.
*Coming in to pick up the Mystery Quilt clue and announcing in a very
loud voice that you're off to another quilt store to buy your fabric.
And you'll be back for all future clues. Of course.

It does help to have a good sense of humor when working in any retail
environment! :

joan

Old June 14th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It's not just quilt shops -- any retail store is subject to a small minority
of customers who are rude and/or thoughtless. Some days it's hard to
remember that the vast majority of shoppers are gems.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

oups.com...

Old June 14th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

-------------------------8-----------------------------.
*Coming into the store 15 minutes before closing time to select 15
fabrics for a color-wash trip around the world.

Never mind 15, try 25 and only require 1/8th of a yard. But I was always
polite and gave a nice smile even though there was a line up.

Oh... and let me add my pet peve to the list:

*a first time quilter comes in with an intricate lap size quilt pattern and
wants you to figure out how much fabric she will need to make it a queen
size. Of course she's not looking to buy the fabric yet.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Treasure your Mind, Cherish your Reason, Hold to your Purpose
Epictetus (52 c.e - 135 c.e.)

Old June 14th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Some of these made me grin - and some made me groan. All
rang a bell!!

Wanna hear a few more?

A friend of mine worked in a theatre taking phone bookings
for tickets. Customers on the phone:
"No, it's not my credit card, it's my boyfriend's. But he
said I could use it. . . . . . . . . What do you mean you
can't take the booking?"

"I am coming to the show tonight. Where should I go for
dinner?"

"Yes, I know the show is booked out. But how do I book
tickets?"

Customer in front of me in clothing store a few years ago: "
I don't know which one to choose. I'll pay you now (for one
only!) and bring back the colours she (daughter at home)
doesn't like tomorrow."

I detest cell phones. The last time I chaired a meeting and
a cell phone went off I held up my hand for silence and
looked straight at the talker to let him know we would all
listen in to his conversation. He didn't take the hint, and
the phone rang again. Fortunately I outranked him so I just
told him that he was clearly indispensable and that he
should go back to his workplace. AND HE GOT OFFENDED (for
all the good that did him - LOL).

I have very informal friendly lessons here at home, and have
twice told "students" to leave if they won't turn off their
phones. They might be friends of mine, but that doesn't
give them the right to be rude to me or others in my home.

If I sound like an old grouch it's probably 'cos it's the
middle of the night here - and no I wasn't sitting up
watching the World Cup. Off to try to get some sleep now so
I won't be so grumpy later in the morning - LOL.

Goodnight all!
--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:

Old June 14th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

LOL!
Been there!

It's been a few years since I worked at the lqs
but when I go in--some things haven't changed. g

The most galling was the woman who owns a shop 40 miles north of here.
She only kept that shop open 1 or 2 days a week (one of those hobby
shop owners, Susan L.P.); she took her shop on the road once or twice,
always to the Dallas show because that's a biggie. So she was in the shop
w/ her friend/employee, asking one of my bosses (the quilter one)
all kinds of questions about running the shop. My boss was such a newbie
to this experience (a fabulous quilter, just not a business person),
she was actually trying to answer everything. When she had to refer to
her partner, K, I just rolled my eyes at K who had been taking it all in
from another room. K suddenly became deaf&dumb, wouldn't answer questions,
played she was on the phone. g Finally the woman from the other shop
got ready to leave, asking, "Btw, where's the nearest JoAnn or Cloth World
or Hancocks?" THEN we all gave her directions to get her out of the store.

Other just-not-thinking customers/students: loudly telling everyone where
she got her fabric (not here) and how much she saved--while sitting in the
classroom during a lesson; "I never buy the stuff they sell here!"

Bringing a quilt book to the cutting table and saying, "I want that
fabric!" without a clue as to how old the book is, who made the fabric,
or how many years it's been since that fabric was sold. But this customer
(& there are many of them) wants to make THAT quilt EXACTLY the way it
looks. Those of us who've quilted for years probably recognize the fabric
& know "it's no longer available"; we clerks offer alternatives but
sometimes the customer just gives up because it's not an EXACT match.

Coming to class with a machine she's never used, not even sure how to
turn it on--"I didn't take the new owner's class at the shop when I bought
this thing; why bother?" ...uh, because we don't have time or energy or
knowledge to teach you about it right now, lady! g

But, I enjoyed the job, the customers, the quilts, the fabric,
the shows, working the shows, all of it. I only quit when the cost of
hand cream became prohibitive (the finishing chemicals on the fabrics
eats up my skin-- pre-wash, pre-wash, pre-wash!) BG
and the bosses couldn't get along with each other.

The camaraderie you find in a good quilt shop can't be beat. When the
customers chime in, knowing their opinions & comments are welcome
when someone is asking about "what colors?" and "how do I do this part?"
and "where's a good place to eat around here?" And the customers in turn
include the employees in the fun they're having, too. ;-)

Working in retail's crazy anyway. 8-

Ragmop/Sandy --never met a stranger in a quilt shop

p.s. isn't it amazing that millions of people lived their lives
BEFORE the mobile phones came around?

On 6/14/06 11:00 AM, in article
, "joan8904 in Bellevue

Old June 14th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I *still* don't have a mobile hehehe

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old June 14th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Cats" wrote:

Some of these made me grin - and some made me groan. All
rang a bell!!

They have been fun to read!

Customer in front of me in clothing store a few years ago: "
I don't know which one to choose. I'll pay you now (for one
only!) and bring back the colours she (daughter at home)
doesn't like tomorrow."

Oh my gosh! The things people think up. When I worked retail years ago
in a dress department people did do amazing things. I don't know if
they don't get how dishonest they are or if they just didn't care.

I detest cell phones. The last time I chaired a meeting and
a cell phone went off I held up my hand for silence and
looked straight at the talker to let him know we would all
listen in to his conversation. He didn't take the hint, and
the phone rang again. Fortunately I outranked him so I just
told him that he was clearly indispensable and that he
should go back to his workplace. AND HE GOT OFFENDED (for
all the good that did him - LOL).

Hilarious! Last guild meeting the phones rang and rang. Drove me nuts.
I think they need to bring back the announcements to turn them off or at
least on vibrate but perhaps those went away because someone got
offended.

The other day we had a little family wedding shower for my niece (she
and her finance just hit the courthouse with their parents so we didn't
get a chance to do anything beforehand) The phone rang, her mom handed
it to her and she chatted while we were all waiting for her to finish
unwrapping a gift. sigh. Finally off the phone, opened said gift.
Phone rang again and a conversation of at least 5 minutes went on while
we sat waiting. She put the phone down next to me. I very quietly slid
it off the table, into my lap and removed the battery. :-) No more
interruptions. Battery went back after dessert. Yes, I can be an evil
aunt but sheesh.

marcella
Old June 14th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Here's a positive retail story: At the quilt show last week, about 2 minutes
before I was supposed to meet my traveling companions/enabling quilt buddies
at the car (we were on a bit of a schedule with a long drive home), I
spotted some great fabric on a vendor's table. Picked up a piece and spotted
some more! Oh agony -not much cash in the wallet, and she didn't take cards.
No online shopping, no bricks-and-mortar store either. Her entire business
is at shows. But no problem, she said, I could take all the fabric I wanted
and just transfer the money to her bank account! She said she'd never been
disappointed trusting her customers. Since I was in a rush, I just took the
piece I could afford. Would have been way too tempting to grab a whole
tableful on credit!
Roberta in D

Old June 14th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This topic brings me to a disagreement that I had with my SIL over
Christmas. MIL was getting ready to make a quilt for DGD's hs graduation.
DGD has picked out a pattern that was not large enough for a
throw----pattern was a wall hanging. MIL and I decided that the design
would work if we put it on point and added log cabin blocks on the top and
bottom of the quilt. (We did it and it came out to be a stunning quilt---I
will post a photo later.). MIL wondered how much fabric to purchase. Now
she is a loyal customer at the LQS and drops a significant amount of cash
there annually. I suggested that she take our plan in and ask for help.
She was reluctant to do that because she wanted DGD to pick out the fabric
and since they live in Chicago, that shopping trip would probably take place
there. I opined that since she was a frequent shopper at the store in town,
I was sure that they would help her with the fabric requirements even if she
was buying the fabric elsewhere (again, purchasing fabric anywhere else is
unusual for her.) My SIL jumped on me with both feet and said that it would
be totally inappropriate to ask for their help when she planned to purchase
the fabric elsewhere. I disagree because MIL is such a good customer of the
LQS. (OT info: My SIL and I rarely see eye-to-eye and she was itching for
a fight that night---this was only one of the many little "outbursts" that
she had before she went up to bed. And she made sure that they left for
home the next morning before we were up---we see them maybe once a year.
She did not speak to either of my sons during the visit but that is not
unusual. Thirty-one years and counting and we still cannot get along but
this was worse than usual.)
So, in your esteemed opinions, was I wrong to make this suggestion? BYT,
she did not follow my suggestion and had the Chicago shop do her figuring.
Just wondering---do not want to start a flame war here.

judy in fort worth

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 07:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM