OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 21st 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

I like to cook a turkey on a really cold day, the oven warms up the
kitchen.

Pot pies, turkey noodle soup, pot roast, roast pork, mac and cheese,
gorton, anything that keeps the stove burners or oven on for a long
time.

I still think of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch on
a cold day, it reminds me of walking home from grammar school for lunch.

Denise

Old February 21st 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My fav cold weather food is soup and
bread, Frood

My church has a soup and bread supper every Tuesday during Lent. All
the best cooks in the church take turns. Absolutely incredible meals.
We're all sad when it ends at Easter. My minister always makes a crack,
"Hey, these meals are supposed to be sacrificial!". Believe me, it's no
sacrifice.

Denise

Old February 21st 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina: I think the dark lager Sam Adams would work nicely in
cooking rarebit or stew. NAYY.
I like to cook with beer or wine. Sometimes I even put some in
the food. PAT

Tina wrote:

Kate - DH has one question - that I must clarify because I don't want
him buying a case of different beers to try each one and figure which
would be the best (this was his suggestion).......

in the recipe for the carbonade, you specify 1 pint of rich dark beer

he is asking, would that be a stout? or a dark lager?

From the looks of some of the beers he has had me try in the past - I

would think the answer would be a stout - but I told him I would ask
you first!

Hugs,
Tina, who would also love to share the salmon with you........ but
phooey on those WW points, I'll pass on the yogurt and fruit!

Old February 21st 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default weather in nw arkansas and interview rescheduled

It's warming here. I hope it thaws good all day. I have to get out to the
Lake in Garfield to help some friends do their taxes.
I got a call this morning and my job interview is scheduled for 9:30 am in
the Fayetteville DHS Office in Washington County on 2/27/06. It's between
me and a younger lady with less experience so I'm feeling confident that I
will get it. This is one of the rare times that age and experience really
counts for something. They know about my disability and don't seem to have
a problem with it.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Snigs, that's exactly what we had tonight - creamy chicken and noodles!

We'll probably have the crock pot roast on Thursday!

DH will grill steaks tomorrow, since that seems to be the only day this
week we don't have yukky rain forecasted!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've only had Colleman's dry mustard. I never realized that they had a
prepared mustard also. I throw the dry mustard in salad and anything that
needs a little zing ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ
"Jessamy" wrote in message
you have obviously never had Coleman's

the Dutch think they cope well with mustard.. well they did till I
introduced them to Coleman's - and oh dear... I forgot to mention it was
rather hotter than they were used to so they all used a HUGE dollop on
their
cheese

*snicker*

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old February 21st 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Bermuda?
Not quite half way, but probably quite acceptable!
..
In message CIJKf.813509$xm3.1491@attbi_s21, KJ
writes
It sounds like we could have our own RCTQ restaurant and it would be very
diverse and very successful!!
I just wonder where we could build it??
KJ

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 21st 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I do that with ground ginger - and for the very same reasons. I won't cook
chicken without ginger in it. I love the zing it gives.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
ink.net...

Old February 21st 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LOL - reminds me of when I first moved to our nation's capital, Canberra.
The first three restaurants I went to there did NOT serve tea. You could
have coffee, even different types of coffee - but not tea. I even had it
suggested by one place that I should bring a tea bag and they would provide
the hot water! As the food was definitely worth going back for I did just
that for almost a year until they saw the light.

Of course that was 30 years ago. Back then it was an affectation as
"yuppies" were trying to convince themselves that drinking coffee was so
much more stylish than drinking what had been far more common until then -
tea.

Even now I get annoyed when I go out for a simple lunch in a cafe and see
all the variations of coffee on the menu followed in tiny print by "Pot of
tea" - because I know it will be a generic blend of bland tea in a tea bag
in a tiny tin pot.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

In cafes you can always get tea, but not always the fruit/herbal.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old February 21st 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Or beat up a no-name brand choc cake mix and pour into a microwave dish.
Sprinkle one tablespoon each or cocoa and sugar over the top. Gently pour
over about 2/3 cup hot water. Zap for about 6 minutes (depending on
microwave) and let stand for another 2 or 3 mins before serving the yummiest
self-saucing choc pudding.

There is also a way to microwave English crumpets and jam to get a similar
result to steamed jam pudding but I forget the details. Anyone know?

These used to be my emergency cold weather dessert fixes when I got home
late from shift work in winter! They are best eaten while still warm as
they will dry out and go tough relatively quickly (like so many microwave
"cakes" - although the choc one will rezap on low and come up well with a
big dollop of cream) but that was never a problem as there was never any
left over.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
nk.net...
And for a fast 'sweet" try layering cookies and fruit pie filling in a
microwave safe casserole and zap until hot. Use interesting combination
of cookies and pie filling, like chocolate wafers and cherry pie filling,
peach filling with gingersnaps or blueberry with lemon cookies.
Add a bit of ice cream or whipped cream or whatever.

Pati, in Phx

NightMist wrote:

On 20 Feb 2006 12:10:20 -0800, "Tina" wrote:

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

Dunno how they do in England, but with me it depends on the tea.
Lapsang Souchong or Darjeeling I prefer black. Greens I prefer with a
hint of rich honey. Plain Red Rose I will often have with a dab of
cream if we have it or evaporated milk.
Celestial Seasonings I might add anything from a spoon of jam to cream
to honey or nothing at all.

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

Stew and dumplings is the standard favorite for cold weather at my
house. Especially since it often gets too cold in my kitchen for
bread to rise properly. My usual bread bowl doesn't fit in the oven,
I have a weeny oven, but sometimes I will make a little batch in a
smaller bowl and set it to rise in the oven on warm. Dinner pies are
also big favorites. My oven often does not react well to being turned
down, so I often put a layer of cream cheese over the bottom crust so
the gravy doesn't turn it soggy.

Here is my dumpling recipe:
1 cup of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup milk
a bit of whatever herbs or spices go well with what they are going on.
Just slap it all together till everything is moistened and drop
spoonfuls onto what you are cooking at a low simmer, cover and leave
it alone for 20-25 minutes.
That recipe multiplies just fine, never tried to divide it.

I thought everybody knew how to do a grunt or a slump, I have
discovered that this was a misconception on my part. Those are
another winter favorite at my house.
Take a can or two of peaches or other fruit, and put them in a
saucepan. Bring that to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer, top
it with the dumpling recipe as above. That is a grunt, for a slump
use applesauce instead. You may have to add a wee bit of water to
your applesauce, depends on the applesauce. Some people prefer to use
baking powder biscuits, me I'm to lazy for that. (G)
Though if it is cold enough that you want to run the oven, you put
your fruit in a baking pan and roll out the bicuits and put them on
top, bake til the biscuits are done, and call it a pandowdy.
Cream goes marvelous well with any of these fruit things.

NightMist

Old February 21st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default NightMist?/OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

This is Welsh Rarebit recipe circa 1935 from a wonderful book called
'Miss Tuxfords Cookery for the Middle Classes'!

Toast a round of bread and butter it.
Melt 2 oz grated.cheddar cheese with 2 tablespoons of milk and 1/2
teasp of English mustard powder (or I suppose 1/4 teasp of ready made
English Mustard) pepper and salt.

Then spread on the toast and put back under the grill to brown a
little.

It adds that, if liked, you can thicken it with 1 teasp. of cornflour
broken in a little water.

Miss Tuxford also includes instructions for using one of the new gas
cookers, and says that if your heat your iron for ironing clothes on
the gas stove, it is much cleaner than using an ordinary fire.

Another cheesy recipe from there which is very good is Cheese Pudding.

2oz breadcrumbs, 1/2pint milk, 1/2oz butter, 3 oz. grated cheddar
cheese, 2 eggs, pepper and salt.

Put breadcrumbs and butter into a bowl; boil the milk, pour over and
leave to cool. Add the cheese, pepper and salt, and the yolks of the
eggs. Whip the egg whites stiffly and add lightly to the mixture. Pour
into a pie dish (I use a souffle dish with deep sides) and bake for 15
to 20 minutes. She doesn't give oven temperature, but I do it at about
the same temperature as a cake.

Very moreish, cheap and full of protein. My mother always served it
hot - like a cheese souffle, but DH's mother used the same recipe and
insisted that it should be served cold with a salad and is called
'Dairy Delight' (her way the souffle collapses a bit).

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
On 21 Feb 2006 06:45:57 -0800, "Tina" wrote:

Ok, so now you have to explain, describe and provide the recipe for
cheese rarebit??????

Pleeeeezzzzzzz ?

Tina