OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 21st 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Only the bone china? Why not the Windsor China? I think that's the name of
it....the one if you breathe on it it falls apart....

Butterfly (count me out--don't drink tea/coffee)

"Patti" wrote in message
Oh please do, Kathyl, you'd be most welcome.
We could use the bone china (not dishwasher safe) cups - with a teapot!!
Not as formal as the Japanese tea ceremony, but a tradition nevertheless.
I'll go and put the kettle on. What time does your plane land? Try for
Birmingham International rather than Heathrow (much nearer!).
.
In message nXrKf.568543$084.101094@attbi_s22, KJ
writes
Oh Patti! You make me wish I could come enjoy a spot of tea with you!
I'm
not really a tea drinker, but I think you could convert me.
DD has started drinking more tea after her teaching stint in Scotland.
She
was "homesick" last week after we went to a program at our cultural center
of "The Pipes, Drums and Highland Dancers of 1st Battalion
The Black Watch and the Band of the Welsh Guard". She came home and had
tea
right after. What an enjoyable program!
KJ

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old February 21st 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

OOoooooh Kate - forget the husband - I'm heading cross the pond to move
in with you!

thanks a gazillion! I can't wait to try all of these!

Tina

Old February 21st 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina wrote:

Ok Kate - my hubby is trading me in and heading over the pond to get
you! LOL
No not really, but he is amored with the recipe for Jugged Hare and is
heading off to our local farm to obtain rabbits! Now he would like as
well, your recipes for Venison Casserole and Beef Carbonade! Oh my,
see what I have started now! LOL

I can't wait to try that Jugged Hare recipe! Thank you ever so much!

Hugs,
Tina

One Pot Goulash
Venison casserole
Jugged hare
Beef Carbonade

These can all be done in the crock pot.

Venison casserole:

2 lbs of venison, cubed
2 large onions slices
a large clove of garlic, crushed
2 large carrots, sliced
2 sticks of celery, sliced
6 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 bottle of red wine
about half a jar of crab apple or quince jelly
a handful of dried mixed herbs
a very heaped teaspoon of cornflour mixed into half a teacup of the wine.
slat and pepper to season
A little olive oil for frying

Brown the meat nicely and put in the casserole.crock pot
Brown the onions and garlic and add them to the meat. Do the same to
the rest of the vegetables.

Deglaze the frying pan with the wine, and add it, the jelly and the
herbs to the casserole. Cook on very low for about 4-6 hours. About
half an hour before serving, thicken with the wine and cornflour, and
season to taste.

Serve with boiled potatoes and a fresh green veg.

Boef Carbonade:

2 lbs braising steak, cubed
2 large onions, sliced
3 tablespoons flour, seasoned with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of dried
herbs
a pint of rich dark beer
a tablespoon of muscavado sugar
a little lard or oil for frying

Brown the onions and transfer to a crock pot
Coat the meat in the seasoned flour and brown on all sides. Add to the
meat.
Deglaze the pan with the beer, stirring until it thickens slightly. Add
to the casserole with the sugar, and bring through the boil. Cook
gently for 2-3 hours.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 21st 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article kUvKf.13805$Ug4.5857@dukeread12,
"teleflora" wrote:

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
I'm a tea lover, too! Except that I more often have mine in the morning,
after I've finished my housework and have dressed. Then I can settle
down with my tea and email. G

Wait. You finish housework? How does that work, exactly.

Cindy

I *detest* housework, Cindy, so I've come up with a method that works
for me. After I've cleaned up breakfast (which DH cooks for us!), I do
just a *little* bit of cleaning -- the bathrooms one day, mopping the
next, etc. Then I can dress and *play* for the rest of the day, with
interruptions to take care of DH's email and that sort of thing. Right
now my sewing/computer room is knee-deep in clutter, so that will
probably have to be tackled soon; it all piled up while the computer
problems have been continuing. G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old February 21st 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Being an anomaly, I like my fruity black teas with a teaspoon of sweetened
condensed milk.
(lick the spoon if you're really needing a sugar fix.)

For a meal when I'm tired, I cheat and buy a Sam's rotisserie chicken...
But then I toss the carcass, skin and all, into a pot with some onion, bay
leaf and celery, and make stock. Strain and return meat to the stock when
it's finished and add chicken base if it's not chicken-y enough.
When you're ready, make "Italian Chicken Soup" thusly...

Bring stock to a light boil, and season with a couple of teaspoons of
Italian seasoning or oregano, and a half cup of parmesan cheese (use the
powdered kind for this part-Kraft)...serve the good grated stuff with the
soup-lots of it). Add 2 bags of mixed Chinese veggies. (I've found that
the nicest mixes are Wally world's GV brand....the one with asparagus, red
peppers etc. and there's one that has snow peas and yellow squash,
mushrooms, etc.) Add orzo or your choice of pasta and cook till al dente
and the veggies should be crisp tender.
Don't forget to serve the parmesan to sprinkle over the soup as you eat!

This soup is fast once you have the stock...

chipper

Old February 21st 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You're welcome! Shropshire is a very welcoming county g
If you ring me from Birmingham, I'll just have time to bake a cake!!
..
In message iYFKf.812981$xm3.505223@attbi_s21, KJ
writes
Oh dear...I'm afraid the kettle would boil dry before I could get there!
But I WILL keep the Birmingham International information in mind for future
reference. You just never know. Thank you for the invitation.
Kathyl

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 21st 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Only got bone, Butterfly!
Something that breaks that easily would best not be in my hands g
'Bone china' is very tough even though it is so fine! Or so the nice man
on the Royal Worcester factory tour told us.
We have some nice Scottish Highland spring water - would that suit you?
You can have it in a cup, too!
..
In message , Butterfly
writes

Old February 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And for a fast 'sweet" try layering cookies and fruit pie filling in a
microwave safe casserole and zap until hot. Use interesting combination
of cookies and pie filling, like chocolate wafers and cherry pie
filling, peach filling with gingersnaps or blueberry with lemon cookies.
Add a bit of ice cream or whipped cream or whatever.

Pati, in Phx

NightMist wrote:

On 20 Feb 2006 12:10:20 -0800, "Tina" wrote:

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

Dunno how they do in England, but with me it depends on the tea.
Lapsang Souchong or Darjeeling I prefer black. Greens I prefer with a
hint of rich honey. Plain Red Rose I will often have with a dab of
cream if we have it or evaporated milk.
Celestial Seasonings I might add anything from a spoon of jam to cream
to honey or nothing at all.

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

Stew and dumplings is the standard favorite for cold weather at my
house. Especially since it often gets too cold in my kitchen for
bread to rise properly. My usual bread bowl doesn't fit in the oven,
I have a weeny oven, but sometimes I will make a little batch in a
smaller bowl and set it to rise in the oven on warm. Dinner pies are
also big favorites. My oven often does not react well to being turned
down, so I often put a layer of cream cheese over the bottom crust so
the gravy doesn't turn it soggy.

Here is my dumpling recipe:
1 cup of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup milk
a bit of whatever herbs or spices go well with what they are going on.
Just slap it all together till everything is moistened and drop
spoonfuls onto what you are cooking at a low simmer, cover and leave
it alone for 20-25 minutes.
That recipe multiplies just fine, never tried to divide it.

I thought everybody knew how to do a grunt or a slump, I have
discovered that this was a misconception on my part. Those are
another winter favorite at my house.
Take a can or two of peaches or other fruit, and put them in a
saucepan. Bring that to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer, top
it with the dumpling recipe as above. That is a grunt, for a slump
use applesauce instead. You may have to add a wee bit of water to
your applesauce, depends on the applesauce. Some people prefer to use
baking powder biscuits, me I'm to lazy for that. (G)
Though if it is cold enough that you want to run the oven, you put
your fruit in a baking pan and roll out the bicuits and put them on
top, bake til the biscuits are done, and call it a pandowdy.
Cream goes marvelous well with any of these fruit things.

NightMist

Old February 21st 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina wrote:
OOoooooh Kate - forget the husband - I'm heading cross the pond to move
in with you!

thanks a gazillion! I can't wait to try all of these!

Tina

The spare bed is in the sewing room, hidden under the hologram Fabric
from Hell project...

I have venison in the freezer... Must be time for the venison casserole
again! That's just the way my mum and grandma did it. The
carbonade is kinds the way mum does it, too... I had a great example in
cooking with those two and my dad!

Tonight's dinner is much simpler: salmon fillet steamed in the
microwave, boiled new potatoes, carrots and French beans (those little
thin ones). Very WW friendly (about 4.5 points!), followed by yoghurt
or fruit.

Old February 21st 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Now, that sounds like my sort-of 'non preparation' type of food!
Thanks Pati.

In message et, Pati
Cook writes