OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Old February 21st 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Oh NightMist, this sounds absolutely sinful! Will definitely have to
try this one too!

Wow, what a jackpot I hit when I asked for help here! We'll have a
months worth of new stuff to try!

Hugs to all and much thanks!
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions: Jugged hare recipe

Not sure if I can find a hare around here - but man if I can, I've got
to try this recipe. Sounds absolutely wonderful! If I can't find one,
I'll just have to pop over to dinner at your house Kate!

Thanks for educating me!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 21st 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Roberta Zollner wrote:

My cold-weather favorite is any kind of soup. Made pumpkin soup yesterday.
We weren't too hungry, so I just served it with a little bread for a
vegetarian supper. But it would be good with grilled open-face tuna
sandwiches: spread tuna salad on bread slices, top with sliced tomato and
cheese, run under the grill until the cheese browns a bit. Toast the bread
first if you like.
I like tea too, normally without anything added, but then I'm not British.
Drinking lots of herbal teas lately -there's a locally-grown peppermint
that's really good!
Roberta in D

We are 'enjoying' miserable sleety weather today! Wouldn't you just
know it on a day when I have to walk two miles to school and back to get
James! So there is a bowl of spicy vegetable soup waiting in the fridge
for lunch (zero points on WW too!), and I'll top that up with some nice
seedy bread, and follow with a nice apple.

Oh, goody! Almost 12 o'clock! Time for an early lunch! James and I
will have hot chocolate when we get in from school.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 21st 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina wrote:

Not sure if I can find a hare around here - but man if I can, I've got
to try this recipe. Sounds absolutely wonderful! If I can't find one,
I'll just have to pop over to dinner at your house Kate!

Thanks for educating me!

Hugs,
Tina

The flavour will be different, but it works well with a couple of pounds
of shin of beef. Make sure you get a bit of bone to add in as well: the
flavour is so much better, and you can fish it out before serving.

Old February 21st 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sort of a tomato rarebit.
Which reminds me that cheese rarebit is another cold weather favorite
around here.

NightMist
now knows whats for supper

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:10:34 +0100, "Jessamy"
wrote:

goulash
pies

and for a lunch time comfort food snack:

table spoon of marg/butter
1 small tin of tomato paste
3 oz cheese - a good melting one - I use gouda as that is what is locally
available but cheddar would be great too!

melt butter in a saucepan
put in tomato paste and stir till they are mixed and are bubbling
slowly add the cheese on a lower heat

spread on toast
drop empty pan into cold water
enjoy!!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

stew
chili
split pea soup
corned beef and cabbage - which I started in the crock pot yesterday
morning before Billy and I left for the day. The corned beef didn't
have enough fat in it, and I didn't add enough liquid (counting on the
fat) so the cabbage burnt! Can you say GeeeeROSSSSSS! Nothing smells
worse than coming home to a house that reaks of burned cabbage! BLEK!

So before DH gets home and wants my weekly grocery list......you guys
got any swell ideas or answers?

TIA and Hugs,
Tina

--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old February 21st 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ok Kate - my hubby is trading me in and heading over the pond to get
you! LOL
No not really, but he is amored with the recipe for Jugged Hare and is
heading off to our local farm to obtain rabbits! Now he would like as
well, your recipes for Venison Casserole and Beef Carbonade! Oh my,
see what I have started now! LOL

I can't wait to try that Jugged Hare recipe! Thank you ever so much!

Hugs,
Tina

One Pot Goulash
Venison casserole
Jugged hare
Beef Carbonade

Old February 21st 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default NightMist?/OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Ok, so now you have to explain, describe and provide the recipe for
cheese rarebit??????

Pleeeeezzzzzzz ?

Tina

Old February 21st 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh dear...I'm afraid the kettle would boil dry before I could get there!
But I WILL keep the Birmingham International information in mind for future
reference. You just never know. Thank you for the invitation.
Kathyl

"Patti" wrote in message
Oh please do, Kathyl, you'd be most welcome.
We could use the bone china (not dishwasher safe) cups - with a teapot!!
Not as formal as the Japanese tea ceremony, but a tradition nevertheless.
I'll go and put the kettle on. What time does your plane land? Try for
Birmingham International rather than Heathrow (much nearer!).
.
In message nXrKf.568543$084.101094@attbi_s22, KJ
writes
Oh Patti! You make me wish I could come enjoy a spot of tea with you!
I'm
not really a tea drinker, but I think you could convert me.
DD has started drinking more tea after her teaching stint in Scotland.
She
was "homesick" last week after we went to a program at our cultural center
of "The Pipes, Drums and Highland Dancers of 1st Battalion
The Black Watch and the Band of the Welsh Guard". She came home and had
tea
right after. What an enjoyable program!
KJ

--