grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Old February 13th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

I wanted to order a $17 book -- media mail would have been the
cheapest, but even if shipped priorty, it shouldn't have been more
that $4. Amazon didn't carry it. Most places were charging between $7
and $10 to ship it, including Nancy's Notions and Clotilde. I did some
surfing and found a place that would ship for actual priority costs,
so it was $4.00. I ordered from them and bookmarked their site.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:22:29 -0800, (Patti S)
wrote:

I agree the S&H charges are really getting nuts. I always check to see
how much they are, and heavily patronize those that charge actual
shipping costs and on occasion, offer free shipping. I remember reading
here once that someone cancelled an entire online order because of
shipping charges, and I have done the same thing. There are other
options.

Lisa - what's the name? color? brand of the fq you fell in love with??

Patti in Seattle

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater,
suggest that he wear a tail."
…Fran Lebowitz…

Old February 13th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

They do this to avoid ebay charges. One day Ebay will do something
about it.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 04:56:47 GMT, Debra
wrote:

There are new whole computers with guarantees selling on ebay for
under a dollar with $300.00 shipping. You know it doesn't cost that
much to ship them. Still, it's a great deal since you can't buy a
comparable computer in a store for only $301.00.

Old February 13th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Is it a rural route or something?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

You can't do that in my town. You have to make the trip to the PO.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old February 13th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Give Half.com a try. They seem to have somewhat set shipping
charges. Always compare total price w/ shipping included to
make your decision with online orders. Tax sometimes factors
in also.
Media mail is cheap but can be very slow. Over a month is not
common but it has happened more than once here.
If we don't bid on the overpriced shipping the seller doesn't
sell the item. If that happens enough he will adjust things.
Taria

Old February 13th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

my brother wants a key for his laptop vaio, the guy on ebay sells three
keys for 5 dollars and wants to add another 5 for shipping...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old February 13th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes and my point exactly is that this is wrong.

"IMS" wrote in message
What eBay charges sellers is based on the what the item sells for on the
auction. eBay doesn't inc. the shipping charge in this calculation, so
some sellers use the shipping charge as a way to make a little extra $
on the transaction.

-Irene

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:01:26 -0600, "teleflora"
wrote:

I would feel better if they would just tack an extra couple bucks on the
product and then charge ACTUAL shipping costs. This wouldn't work with an
auction, but the regular shops could do this. I know I pay more for a
product when I go where they charge No Shipping, but DAMN that makes me
happy!

Cindy And for the record, I think that the charge is for shipping AND
handling. Which would include the envelope and driving to the post office,
I guess.

"lisa skeen" wrote in message
link.net...
Surfing around ebay this afternoon I found a FQ I liked, but the woman
wants $2 to stick it in an envelope and mail it. I emailed her and said
she could put it in an envelope and mail it for 39 cents, could she be
more reasonable on the shipping price. She said her prices were lower
than anyone elses, and she wasn't going to lower the shipping price.

It seems to me in the last six months or so, there have been more and
more
people on ebay price gouging in the shipping department. Week before
last
I calculated the shipping on a 5-ounce book via media mail, $1.52. The
guy wanted over $5 for shipping!

I can understand adding a bit in the shipping department if you have to
do
a lot of packing, like I have to do for my pottery, but shoving a FQ into
an envelope, or a book even, that's a no-cost proposition other than the
postage. It's getting to the point where people want more for shipping
than you pay for the item. sigh I hate price gougers.

--
L. P. Skeen, Summerfield NC
Organized people are just too dang lazy to look for things.

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old February 13th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Jessamy" wrote in message
that's called price gouging - it's not a reasonable thing to do either and
for one would not accept that.

I don't like it either, but I don't think it would be considered price
gouging. In this country at least, price gouging laws are only trotted out
when retailers suddenly raise the price of necessities in anticipation of a
hurricane or other emergency.

Equating a 7-Eleven raising milk prices to double what they were before the
hurricane watch cannot be equated with someone on ebay charging what you
consider to be too much for the mailing of a book.

Someone else is right. If you don't buy from that ebay seller, he/she will
be forced to change their tactics. IN a free market, that is the only way
to make these changes.

If I want a book that costs $20 at the bookstore, I'm not going to buy that
book from an ebay seller that is going to charge me $10 for shipping.

Cindy

Old February 13th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You can get priority mail supplies delivered to your home mail box FREE of
charge and print your postage at home to place on the FREE priority mail
envelopes and then put them in your home mail box and it will be picked up
the next time your mailman delivers your mail - FREE OF CHARGE. There is no
excuse for charging the outrageous amount they claim to charging.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Debra" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:25:33 GMT, "Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @
KarenTucker.com wrote:

But now you don't even have to go to the post office. You can request
next-day pick-up through the post office web site, and there is no charge.
I use it all the time, I hate going to the post office.

Old February 13th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I include the shipping costs in the price of my item. I always send in
plastic bags and buy my own heavier manila envelopes but they work out to
just a few cents and when added to the $.52 to ship a FQ - thicker
enveloper - it's not that much. I never charge for postage unless it is
priority mail - it just doesn't seem right.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

"lisa skeen" wrote in message
[...]

OT Price gouging!!! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 50 August 31st 05 07:09 AM
Stash Sale Ranee Mueller Yarn 10 July 19th 04 03:28 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 02:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 02:56 AM