What did Santa bring?

Old December 26th 05, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Christmas and New Year was What did Santa bring?

Hello again all! I'm finally back, although I will not be posting much for
a while. After 11 days I found literally thousands of posts when I logged
on this am so I cannot read everything right now. If I have failed to
respond when I should - I apologise. I will read as many as I can.

As I have no family around, gift giving is between friends and very low key.
I would like to tell of my best ever Christmas presents. These didn't come
from Santa - they came from friends.

I got a number of surprises from rctq friends. These were very special to
me as I have not met (and probably never will meet) any of you. But these
emails, messages, gifts and cards came to me from afar and showed that you
were thinking of me at this special time. Thankyou everyone!!! Some of
these arrived while I was "away" so I may not have responded to you
individually yet, but I will.

As some here would know, I teach from home. But many "students" have
continued to come for years just for the social side of quilting in a group.
Each year I give my "sewing ladies" a small gift that is sewing related.
This year it was thread snips with blade cover, and a tag with their names.
(Last year it was a pack of needles and a fine threader because when some of
them started with me they used crowbars to sew with! LOL).

The dollar cost of the gifts is low, and I ask that they not give me gifts
in return but pass on something to another sewer (or neighbour or even a new
acquaintance). I only hand out mine at the very last minute so that the
newer girls do not feel they have to race out to get me something in return.
Some of the "regulars" give me plates of homemade shortbread (yummy and much
appreciated) or small boxes of chocolate (which everyone else eats as I am
not a chocoholic LOL), and one lady this year brought me three plant
cuttings she had taken and struck for me. But our gifts are tokens, not
expensive bought items.

This year I got a surprise joint gift from them all. It was a really big
cardboard box - giftwrapped - filled with coffee, filters, tea, bottled
water, sweeteners, etc. - all the brands and varieties that THEY like and
that I try to keep on hand for them here. They had all chipped in to buy me
these things and there was a note that they looked forward to the coming
year and sharing the contents with me at my house while we all stitched
together.

Who could ask for more than these gifts? Thankyou to all my friends!!

The New Year part of this post is - I would like to read what everyone is
resolving for the New Year. Not the big ones that we all proclaim loudly
and publicly (is there anyone not resolving to lose weight and get fitter?
LOL) but the little ones that we make just for ourselves, that we may not
normally admit to because we think they may not be seen as "nice", or even
as a wee bit selfish.

I am aiming to let more of the small annoying things slide by without
stressing about them. So I hereby resolve to not worry about trying to
clean the out side of the west-facing windows anymore. I now accept that
this is a futile waste of time and energy that could be put to better use
such as finishing quilts, or maybe to brush and play with my QIs (they feel
that the latter is a far more productive use of my time anyway!). If my
visitors want a better view of the mountains they can stand outside! I
remember what they look like so I don't care anymore about a few smudges and
streaks!

I also plan to write an exquisitely polite, non-threatening, enormously
detailed (at least 5 pages!) letter to DN in the Dept of Vet Affairs and
send a copy of it on Monday every week, just to annoy him and add to his
workload (he will have to respond in writing to each letter). Angry phone
calls have gotten me nowhere over the past two years, but hopefully this
will teach him what it is like to be on the receiving end of meaningless and
unhelpful drivel, and maybe he will learn from the experience. If he
doesn't learn from it he may at least make a final determination on my
case - if only to get me off his back! (BTW - I now know his Supervisor's
name and will info the Supervisor with a copy of each and every letter
VB-evil-G)

Hey - I never said my resolutions would all be "nice" ones ROFL!! Does
anyone else have similar "trivial" or "teaching" aims for 2006?

Whether you do or not - my hope is for a peaceful and fulfilling year for
all of you and for your families.

from Cheryl in Oz (but kindly typed out by DM - SHE made me write that!)

"KJ" wrote in message
news%Crf.674611$xm3.174045@attbi_s21...
I'm patiently waiting reports on what goodies Santa brought you all.
Santa came early this year and took me to Scotland with all the shopping
exeditions included. Oh, I guess I did get a new set of tires on my van
the other day. Merry Christmas to me! Almost as expensive as my plane
ticket!
Hope you all had a great day. Time to slice the roast and set the table.
KJ

Old December 26th 05, 09:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome back Cheryl, it's good to see you again!

Hmmm, let's see. I really do resolve to get smaller and fitter this year.
I'm serious now - I'm sick of being the fat one at Christmas. I also
resolve to do less in order to be appreciated more at work. Does that make
sense? It seems I give and give and give, yet get no response except "give
me more". So we are going to go the other way. I guess you could say that
would be a teaching one!

Otherwise I aim to be nicer to others (kinda negates the above huh?). To
have fun, be kind and quilt more!

quicker)

Old December 26th 05, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Santa brought uglies

Oh go on Polly .. we *have* to see the ugliest fabric made by man!! (somehow
I doubt a woman would have designed it *snicker* )

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old December 26th 05, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What did Santa bring?

yeah!! I agree on the Duplo - you can *never* have too much and when the
kids have out grown it up in the attic it goes to wait for the grandkids ..
hehehe

the baby duplo is already stashed along with some other *very* good quality
baby toys

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
Duplo yay! My car seat covers went back today (sigh). Seems that 99.99% of
bucket seats have the gap between the back and bottom where you can stick
your hand through? Mine doesn't. Has it all neatly covered in therefore we
can't put the "tie up" bits through therefore the covers won't stay sitting
"right". Does that make sense? Now DH has to think up something else.
I've made it easy and said it can go towards a new winter coat for all those
cold mornings out on the go-kart track.

quicker)

Old December 26th 05, 11:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

true - the soup will be a *very* special treat for a Monday night dinner
when the kids are at ex's - Campbell's is super expensive over here so I
never buy it.

the muffin papers will make over 100 yummy muffins or cakes and the birds
are feasting already ;-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
Sometimes these are the best kinds. You'll remember this Christmas for a
long time. Hug the little givers for me.
Gen

Old December 26th 05, 11:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

a 24" *square* ruler?? drool

my credit card is wincing already!!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
"Susan Laity Price" schreef in bericht
Of the quilt related stuff I received two gift certificates from my
sons. One is for JoAnn's and the other is for Borders (they sell quilt
books you know). My husband wrapped several quilt items I bought
myself this past month. Since I spent alomost $1000 on quilting this
month I really wasn't mad for him wrapping up things I had bought.
Since he was sneaky and took things from my studio without my
noticing, it was fun to unwrap the boxes and find my purchases inside.
At least he didn't just say that I had bought my own Christmas
presents. He did buy me a Nativity for my collection and a small box
of expensive chocolate truffles (the type you eat one with a cup of
coffee and savor it for half an hour) The items I bought were on a
deep discount sale but things I had been wanting such as the electric
scissors by Dritz and a 24" square ruler.

One quilting friend made me a great fabric bowl because she knew I
would never get around to making one for myself. The gals in my
quilting bee exchange homemade goodies. Several make jams and jellies
which last until the family discovers them.

My husband and I don't exchange gifts much with extended family on
either side. Gift giving has not been the focus of our celebration. He
and I attended the 11:00 p.m. candlelight service at our church last
night and then went to services with our son at his church this
morning. I was especially happy that our other son had made the effort
to join us at the service also. This meant he had to leave home rather
early this morning to make the drive and arrive on time. It was very
special to have just the four of us together for the entire day.

Susan

Old December 26th 05, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

KJ wrote:

I'm patiently waiting reports on what goodies Santa brought you all. Santa
came early this year and took me to Scotland with all the shopping
exeditions included. Oh, I guess I did get a new set of tires on my van the
other day. Merry Christmas to me! Almost as expensive as my plane ticket!
Hope you all had a great day. Time to slice the roast and set the table.
KJ

I got a book on tailoring from James that I've wanted for months!

Today I showered with some extravagant Organza shower gel I got last
Christmas, washed my hair with some Aveda shampoo and conditioner that
was an expensive luxury from Little Sis, slapped on some Organza body
lotion, and am dressed in a perfect Land's End Little Black dress Big
Sis gave me. I shall wear the dress again when I go for lunch with her
and Mum tomorrow.

DH gave me the SliceSy attachment for my Bamix hand held blender. Yummy
stuff all round. James got a football game for his Game Boy from Auntie
Mo Next Door (another footy fan), which has been the big Hit this year!

DH Alan is still collecting contributions for his digital camera...

One of the highlights of the day was a walk with James and Alan through
the orchards and round by the village.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 26th 05, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:

true - the soup will be a *very* special treat for a Monday night dinner
when the kids are at ex's - Campbell's is super expensive over here so I
never buy it.

the muffin papers will make over 100 yummy muffins or cakes and the birds
are feasting already ;-)

James gave me his marzipan fruit he made the other day! How sweet is
that! Especially when I saw they were no longer lying about drying, and
he just said 'sorry!' and looked smug when I accused him of eating it!

Old December 26th 05, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly Esther wrote:
Well Alice, you nailed it. That's exactly what the fabrics look like.
But - my joy of quilting is to make quilts for children's shelters and if I
can't sew happy stuff, I just ain't going to play. Polly

Is the back as ugly as the front? Turn its nose to the batting.

-georg
Old December 26th 05, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

DD1 gets the prize for quiltiest gift: Francis Peto's history of American
quilts and bed covers, printed the year I was born. It's such fun to read.
She found it on ebay. And the first illustration shows a wool counterpane
embroidered in crewel work from around 1740-who was it wanting to do
something historical?
Roberta in D