DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Old December 15th 05, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT: Why Suicide?

Excellent point! Rules are made by Humans - not the Creator. The writings
of rules are made by fallible humans who claim devine authority. I don't
know if they do or don't. I know I try to live a deserving life of service
and with a heart full of love. I don't pretend to be omnipotent or
knowledgeable enough to set in judgement of others and can only account for
my self.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"NightMist" wrote in message

There is suicide and there is suicide.

When our kiri's stepdad, who had Lou Gerhigs disease, decided it was
time to turn off the ventilator, it never even occured to think of it
as suicide. Though I suppose technically it was. I remember back
before antiretrovirals became available and indeed knowledge about how
to treat AIDS patiants was almost nonexistant, some friends chose to
end things before it got horrible, others held on as long as they
could hoping for a breakthrough. I was not about to pass judgement on
either, both decisions took a great deal of courage.

Then there are people who just up and end it all for reasons that no
one understands. Was it courage or cowardice? Since we weren't in
their heads when they did it, who knows?

NightMist
never underestimate the terrors that live in someone else's head

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:53:06 -0600, "Dixie Sugar"
wrote:

It is hard for me to believe that someone who commits suicide is in their
right mind. I have also had the thought it would take a lot of courage
commit suicide too but maybe that's not it at all. Maybe they are just so
despondent that they can't think of anything but getting out of whatever
is
making life so unbearable in their minds at that time. Suicide is life
shattering to those left behind. Spoken from experience I'm sorry to say.

Dixie Sugar
"Dixie" wrote in message
As far as I can understand it takes quite an amount of courage
for a person to commit suicide.
Dixie.

When I give to you something I made with my hands I share my heart.

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole

Old December 15th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sandy Foster wrote:
In article ,
"Donna in Idaho" wrote:
How many of you have living wills?

Unfortunately, not all states honor them or consider them legal. Nevada
is one that doesn't.

Are you sure? I just googled Nevada living will and got all kinds of
hits for forms, etc.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 15th 05, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

for example:
https://www.legaldocs.com/docs/livin....d/nv-livw1.mv

LEGALDOCS - Nevada Living Will (Medical Authorization) Questionnaire

*Legaldocs is not practicing law, and Legaldocs is not your attorney.
By proceeding further you acknowledge you have READ THIS DISCLAIMER
https://www.legaldocs.com/htmdocs/disclaim.htm.
This Living Will is governed by NRS 449.535 to 449.690 of the Nevada
Public Health and Safety Code. To insure the validity of this document,
carefully read the "witnesses" clause at the end of the document and
make sure your witnesses comply with those requirements.

kenneth in virginia [sometimes sweden]

Julia in MN wrote:

Old December 16th 05, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I didn't mean NOW... It's been quite a while since the Catholic Church began
to allow normal burial of suicides in Catholic cemeteries. There was a
period--I don't know how long--that (as a compromise, I'd guess) they were
buried at the edges, rather than in family plots, and without headstones. My
husband's family is Catholic and talks about how, when things changed,
families even moved their loved ones.

I have no idea what the practice is in Europe, but what Father Mike said
about only God knowing is exactly what we were taught in the early 80s. (I
did my undergraduate degree in theology at a Catholic college!) A priest
friend of mine said that American *practice in most of our dioceses has
generally been--even before Vatican II--considerably more liberal than
orthodox Church *teaching.

It's painful to think that even Baltimore or Los Angeles at their most
conservative would want to define any DNR order as suicide.

--Heidi
Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

--

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
Nope! Father Mike says that we have several "suicides" in our Catholic
Cemetary. I know that the Pollock is buried there and because of his
decision to come off the ventilator knowing he would die and his DNR
directive he could have been lossely defined as a suicide. Father Mike
says that only God knows what is in a persons heart at the time of death.
Apparently, the American Catholic Church has different opinions on this
issue than the European Catholics according to Father Mike. As far as I
know the only requirement to be buried in our Catholic Cemetary is
membership.

EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
JULY's BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 26 June 28th 05 07:09 PM
Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:34 AM
Now taking sign-ups for the third Harry Potter block swap ! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 8th 05 05:46 PM
DIY RCTQ Block of the Month Club M. Wetmore Quilting 25 January 6th 04 02:28 AM