Pre-washed squishies/hug blocks

Old November 24th 05, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Pre-washed squishies/hug blocks

Okay- this "to wash or not to wash" topic comes up frequently. This
brings up a question.... how do we determine if a pre-washed
squishie/hug block will be welcomed?

Every fabric I buy goes straight to the washer and dryer with softener.
All three of us smoke- sadly. When I want to squish someone, it isn't
convenient to drive 40 miles one way to my nearest not very local LQS
to buy un-washed fabric- especially since I drive a BIG truck that gets
lousy gas mileage and gasoline prices are so fierce right now. I try
to remember to re-wash squishies, but I fear they get stinky again
before they are shipped or the odor doesn't come completely out. I
also send books to other quilters and I sure can't wash them!

What does a pre-washing smoker do??? I truely would like to hear some
opinions.... :-)

Leslie (got some S'Mores fabric I'm anxious to send out....) & The
Furbabies in MO.

Old November 24th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

a little note attached saying it's washed and "treated" would be useful -
then a person who washes know's it's already been washed and can skip that
step if they chose ;-)

I personally don't smoke (anymore) and if I were to find that the smoke had
found it's way into the fabric I would just wash it myself - no biggie

Personally I wash everything that sets thread into this house working on the
basis that then it's all been through the same washing conditions - and, as
I'm allergic to some washing powders, dogs and perfumes, I then know I won't
get that itch lol

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old November 24th 05, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When I get a squishie that either looks unwashed, or um, needs washing for
other reasons, I just pop it in the wash (there's always a load that needs
doing around here), and fondle it after!

For HUG blocks, I have not really noticed any that smelled smokey (from
anyone, not singling Leslie out here). They go up on my design wall -
usually for several days, and perhaps they just air out. I also have not
noticed any problems with shrinkage with unwashed fabric used for HUG
blocks.

So... send anything you like... I'll deal with it! G

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
oups.com...

Old November 24th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

quit smoking and buy more fabric.
You asked for opinions ; )

I didn't smell any smoke on the squishie
you sent me but to be sure maybe you should
send another..... just kidding.

I really think most times with most fabrics
in blocks and squishies things work out fine.
There isn't running and the shrinking
problem doesn't happen because the small size
of the blocks.

Taria

Old November 24th 05, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie, I'm a non smoker, I was in a swap that got me 25 quilt blocks
from a smoker, beautiful blocks. I could smell cigarette smoke all over
the house. But being positive I told myself to find a way to get rid of
the smell, so I just put the blocks one by one on a table for a few days
and no more smell.
Can you imagine if I had said to myself " I hate the smell" and not
being able to enjoy such kindness. Don't worry about the smell, I've
seen a lot worst. If someone don't appreciate your kindness, well it's
their problem not yours.
Dixie.

When I give to you something I made with my hands I share my heart.

Old November 24th 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

As a s'more lover (haven't had one in years) I can honestly say I am happy
to receive squishies in whatever state they arrive! LOL Seriously though.
My mum is a smoker and even stuff she has purchased from the shops, had in
the house overnight to pack and then posted the next day arrives stinky. We
are so used to it, we just chuck it in the washer ASAP.

quicker)

Old November 24th 05, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Okay- this "to wash or not to wash" topic comes up frequently. This
brings up a question.... how do we determine if a pre-washed
squishie/hug block will be welcomed?

Let me tell you my personal opinion --- You may wash my squishy, then
stomp on it with muddy shoes, drag it through the dish water... whatever
you would like to do. Simply allow it to dry before placing it in the
envelope. Any squishies are welcome here !

Roberta(welcoming all squishies regardless of race, creed, religion etc
in VA)

Old November 25th 05, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

DH and I are both smokers again, but not in the house so am not really
offended by the smell. the couple of squishies that I have recieved
haven't been smelly, unlike the charm squares I once purchased from a
well know patchwork shop :-(

Dee in Oz

in the directory and address available on request
(everyone else says that so why can't I )

Old November 25th 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
BIZ bowl. The smaller bits of fabric and any "can't tell if it was
washed" squishies go into a big plastic bowl w/ a small dose of BIZ
where it sits for a while, then gets rinsed and dried. Sometimes ironed.
Takes care of any possible problems. ;-)
In-laws used to smoke; they thought *not* smoking in our house
meant none of us could smell it. As if.

Ragmop/Sandy
om...