OT warning, bee in my bonnet

Old July 22nd 05, 02:35 PM
Denise in NH

I don't have a problem with any adults calling me Denise, and I will
usually tell any younger people I meet to call me Denise also. I'm not a
very formal type of person and I find Mrs. G****** too rigid. However,
I call my clients Mr. or Mrs. Whatever, until they tell me otherwise.

My biggest peeve is being called 'guy' when in a restaurant or store by
some teenaged waitress, as in, "Hi, my name is Amy, what can I get you
guys?" "Do you guys want any dessert?" I was in a beautiful high end
jewelry store in my local mall, when an early twenties clerk came up to
my husband and I and said, "Hi, Guys, what can I show you today?" As
there was no one else in the store, I took the occasion to very gently
tell this well dressed, well coifed young woman that she should try not
to call middle aged people guys. as it was inappropriate. She was very
insulted and told me that management made them say it. I told her to
tell management that someone complained about it. Maybe she could have
said, "Hi, Folks, what can I do for you?"

I don't find someone using my first name an insult, but I don't like the
familiarity of "Hi, guys", from teenagers, when I'm out with my
friends.

Denise

Old July 22nd 05, 02:39 PM
Polly Esther

Have you read that privacy act? I did yesterday, there wasn't a lot to do
in the waiting room. If I understood it (and that is not reliable), the act
warns the patients that they can and probably will release your records to
everyone. It is a very good reason to not reveal any information that you
don't want published on the Tonight Show. Dr. Gott, who writes a daily
column in many newspapers, says he doesn't even write down anything terribly
personal on a patient's records because privacy has gone away. Polly

"pewter" wrote in message
m...
I'm new to this group, but I have to say that I noticed that the last time
was at the clinic, they don't use last names to call the
patients...because
of the "privacy act". So, since my name is fairly common, Pat, isn't it
possible that there might be three or four with the same name jump up and
charge towards the nurse? Some things are just plain silly.

Old July 22nd 05, 02:48 PM
Polly Esther

Oh, please do it, at least one time. Think to yourself, "that one was for
Polly," and smile big for me.
"DrQuilter" wrote in message
Yeah, I don't like it either. Like when the doctor tells me "Hi Marissa, I
am Dr. X" I feel like saying "To you, I am Dr. Vignali, OK?". Even if they
are 'using' their profession in those circumstances, I don't want to be
talked down to...

Old July 22nd 05, 02:52 PM
Roberta Zollner

If she's still walking around without a broken nose, you showed remarkable
restraint. Hope you mentioned the problem to the doctor.
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ink.net...
I am about to show you my worst side. Maybe not. Please just let me ask
for your feelings on a situation. You are in a doctor's office. You wait
two hours. You fill out a mountain of papers for information that could
easily have been obtained from the documents already on file. You are not
feeling very well.
Then this cutsey-poo person pops her head from the doorway where
patients who haven't managed to die of old age or aggravation in the
waiting room finally get to go sit in yet another room for an hour. The
ultimate insult: She yells, " Polly!"
If it's not a terrible burden, I like to be called Mrs. Esther by total
strangers. I am also okay with being addressed as Her Highness, Miss
America, 1917 and "Honey, where did you put the . . . ?"
Does this lazy familiarity gall anyone else with its rudeness? just
wondering. Polly

Old July 22nd 05, 03:17 PM
Sally Swindells

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:03:51 -0400, Roberta
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:51:33 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

[...]

I think it would bother me as well :/

and with a name like Polly, there could well have been 10 of you in a
crowded waiting room. Maybe she was having a hard time with the
pronunciation of Esther (normally I have heard first and last names
used...incase there are 2 Ms. Esthers' of course) or perhaps she was
a bit tired, your name was written on the paper as esther, polly and
she is in the habit of calling out a last name with no title? just
trying to come up with some reason that someone would be so rude and
unprofessional - I mean really - it could cause problems if ya have a
bunch of people with the same name....

Roberta (in VA)

Wonder if there was confusion over your name, Esther is a girls name
in the Bible. Perhaps she thought she was calling out Mrs. Esther
Polly's name.

My Grandmother was called Elizabeth, Lizzie as a child and Nan by my
Grandfather. Mrs Stone by everyone else, even her best friends. Mrs
Stone was replaced by Auntie Stone for her friends children until they
were considered grown up! When she went into hospital she became
Elizabeth. Fortunately I don't think she really knew much about it -
should wouldn't have reacted at all to being called Elizabeth.

I've just had to 'phone a wine company who had delivered our case of
wine to an empty house on the next road which is called ...Road
instead of ...Close. Same house number.

The lady on the other end was very polite, gave me a refund on the
delivery charge (as I'd delivered it and called me Madam (lots of
times).

I am feeling very important.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old July 22nd 05, 04:01 PM
Polly Esther

I didn't exactly show remarkable restraint. After another hour wait in an
examining room, I walked to the front desk and asked for my records and
insurance papers. I told them I was not going to stay, I was not going to
pay and I was not coming back.
That got the doctor right then.
I wish I'd said, "Bless your heart, honey, you sure do need a new office
manager". Polly

Old July 22nd 05, 04:08 PM
Anne in CA

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

So, when you finally get in to see "Doctor" (as in "Doctor will see you
now"...) use his or her name, preferably in a cutesy diminutive (Bobby
instead of Robert or Roberta). Pause one or two beats and say ever so
sweetly, "I'm just trying to fit in with the extreme informality that
your front office uses." Try to work in a cutesy version of the
receptionist's name too. Throw in as many honey, sweetie and dearies as
you can too.

On the other matter, mention the length of your wait when you finally do
get in to see Doctor Bobby. If more people mentioned this to the doctor,
then "Doctor" might someday tighten up the office staff. As the wife of
a physician and having worked front office for a dentist, I know that it
*is* possible to have a well-run practice with people waiting on average
no more than 30 minutes. Less than 20 minute waits, of course, are more
a matter of luck than good planning.

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Old July 22nd 05, 04:31 PM
Roberta

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:08:24 -0700, Anne in CA
wrote:

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

Unfortunatly it isn't always the office staff at fault. I worked for
a Doctor a few years ago (first as the receptionist and then in the
insurance) It was positivly the biggest nightmare ever. He made us
schedual appointments every 5 minutes, took anyone that walked in off
the street (emergnacy or not), if someone was late for their
appointment (no matter how late) Just add em right in to the list...I
don't think anyone ever got to see the doctor in less than an hour.
and he would stuff the rooms...6 of 'em. So you wait in the waiting
room forever and there could be 5 people ahead of you in the rooms
once you get there. It's just the tip of the iceberg as to what was
wrong with that place - but it was BAD.

Roberta (in VA)
Old July 22nd 05, 04:34 PM
Bonnie NJ

Well Polly, just imagine if they really called you Polly! This is what
happens when I am at the doctor's office, they call me by my given name and
no one ever does that! It took me quite some time to adjust to actually
answering them ;-) I've been called Bonnie since birth, but that isn't my
given name - my parents couldn't decide on my name. So they named me
something and then called me Bonnie. You have the choice of either calling
me something or Bonnie - I answer to either now ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old July 22nd 05, 04:42 PM
Diana Curtis

I like the idea of mentioning your preference to the person who called
you by your first name, and perhaps to the front desk as well. Let them
know that when they call you in you will not respond to anything other
than *Mrs. Ester*. I dont think its a question of being rude, it seems
more a matter of the once clear ettiquette rules being changed and there
are no clear guidelines anymore.
I personally want to be called by my first name. Being called Mrs
Curtis is bound to make me think of DH's mother. Thats the price I pay
for having had 4 last names!
Diana