Block A Little Small

Old October 26th 04, 03:58 AM
She in PA

Default Block A Little Small

I have on my webshots site my first two blocks I have ever made for my first
quilt. The problem is the Jacob's Ladder Block is not 12 and 1/2 inches, it
is slightly smaller. I but the sashing and corners on the Bow tie block it
looks great. Now to fix the Jacob's Ladder. Would I pin the sashing so that
the seam allowance of the block is short compared to the seam allowance of
the sashing? I hope you understand what I am meaning. Like my sashing would
be a 1/4" seam allowance and my block would have 1/8" seam allowance. Would
that be the right way to fix the problem? My instructor told me we could
fudge it to fix it, but didn't say how. I will call her next time she is in,
but I would like to get it together.

She

Old October 26th 04, 08:22 AM
Patti

Hullo She
Yes, I think you could do that; but I would do two rows of stitching,
just in case it decided to *try* to unravel!
..
In article , She in PA
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 26th 04, 01:02 PM
Kate G.

Another thought... dampen the block and try to stretch it gently as you
iron it -- being careful not to stretch it out of square -- but sometimes
you can pull blocks out a bit -- multiple seams tend to "pull up" a blocks
dimensions -- and wetting and a gentle tug while ironing can sometimes help!

Good luck!

Kate in Michigan

Old October 26th 04, 02:57 PM

She,
If your sashing is not yet cut, here is what I would do.

Cut the sashing a tiny bit wider than you would otherwise. Sew it on with the
1/4" seams like the others. Then, trim it down a teeny bit to match the size of
the other sashed blocks. In fact, I would make *all* the sashings a tiny bit
wider and hold off on the trimming until all the blocks are done. That is one
nice thing about sashed blocks; there is a bit of "fudge factor" built into them
:-) When we are talking 1/4" and 1/8" differences, these won't be noticeable in
the finished quilt.
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

She in PA wrote:

I have on my webshots site my first two blocks I have ever made for my first
quilt. The problem is the Jacob's Ladder Block is not 12 and 1/2 inches, it
is slightly smaller. I but the sashing and corners on the Bow tie block it
looks great. Now to fix the Jacob's Ladder. Would I pin the sashing so that
the seam allowance of the block is short compared to the seam allowance of
the sashing? I hope you understand what I am meaning. Like my sashing would
be a 1/4" seam allowance and my block would have 1/8" seam allowance. Would
that be the right way to fix the problem? My instructor told me we could
fudge it to fix it, but didn't say how. I will call her next time she is in,
but I would like to get it together.

She

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old October 26th 04, 04:30 PM
Roberta Zollner

If you can cut wider sashing strips, do that instead. Then after the sashing
is on and everything pressed, carefully trim back to the correct
measurement.
Roberta in D

"She in PA" wrote in message
[...]

"Strolling the Block" block exchange....members wanted! Terbear Quilting 5 October 4th 04 04:45 AM
OT - Best way to make this block? Johanna Gibson Quilting 9 September 28th 04 07:58 PM
Now excepting members for 2005 birthday block exchange club Terbear Quilting 2 September 17th 04 08:18 AM
It's too small!! merrystitch Quilting 10 August 17th 04 09:27 PM
quilting a Chicken Block Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\) Quilting 10 October 18th 03 04:04 PM