designing fabrics

Old October 12th 04, 03:34 PM
leafyeb

Default designing fabrics

Has anyone designed fabrics? I have a fabric line in mind but don't
know who to talk to or how to go about it, if there is a way to see if
anyone is interested in my designs.

Leafyeb
Old October 12th 04, 04:10 PM
Carol Doak

Hi Leafyeb:
I am currently working on my fourth fabric collection with Timeless Treasures
Fabrics.
My advice to you would be to put together a portfolio of your designs and
contact the major fabric companies with a letter of inquiry. You could go one
of two ways. You could send out an introductory proposal letter without sending
your designs to see if any fabric companies would like to see your designs and
go from there choosing to present the designs to the company that is your first
choice.
Or you could send a letter of inquiry including your designs to one fabric
company to see if they are interested in pursuing your designs and present them
to subsequent companies if the previous company has no interest.
My advice would be to go the first route so you because it would be the
quickest, however you risk losing a positive reaction to your designs with your
introductory letter.
I hope this helps.
All the best,
Carol Doak
www.quilt.com/CDoak
Old October 12th 04, 05:11 PM
leafyeb

Thanks! When you designed your collections did you design them on
paper then give those to the company? Or do you have a piece printed
on fabric? My idea is a christmas collection so it wouldn't be until
next year that I could contact companies. That gives me plenty of
time to put it on paper. How far ahead to the fabric companies start
working on collections? I guess I have a bunch of questions, where
can I learn about this, and get information on this industry?
If you want you can email me at .

leafyeb
Old October 12th 04, 05:36 PM
Carol Doak

I don't know of any public forum where you can go and learn about this topic. I
will respond to your quetions via your email address.
All the best,
Carol Doak
www.quilt.com/CDoak
Old October 13th 04, 02:24 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"leafyeb" wrote in message

My idea is a christmas collection so it wouldn't be until
next year that I could contact companies. That gives me plenty of
time to put it on paper.

Jumping in here...

If you're thinking of having them out for Christmas 2005, it seems like you
should be contacting companies *now*. Let's say you had designs ready right
this minute. You need time to contact companies, get some interest, iron out
details, revamp the designs into a form they can use. This will eat up a
couple of months minimum. Then they need to schedule the runs at the mill,
and get fabrics printed in time for Spring Market, which is when quilt shop
owners will be looking at the new lines they will bring in for summer. Which
is when the LQS's (at least in my area) start getting the Christmas stuff
in, because people need time to get their project done before the holidays.
Certainly Fall Market, in late October, is waaaayy too late for an LQS to
look at Christmas fabric, so the manufacturers aren't going to be debuting
Christmas stuff then.

Good luck -- I'm sure it would be tremendously thrilling to have your
fabrics done up!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps