Birthing!

Old October 10th 04, 09:50 PM
Estelle Gallagher

Default Birthing!

I have just finished my 1st (of 4) eyespy tops ,I have sewn on the back to
birth it and my question is, can I spray baste the batting to either the
back or the front to keep it in place whilst I turn it right side out? Has
anyone done this?I know I'll be washing it after its quilted.
TIA Estelle UK

Old October 10th 04, 09:50 PM
Sharon Harper

You could - but didn't you sew the batting "in" with the back and the top?
You know - backing right side up, top right side down, batting anyway up,
sew around the edges and twist yourself inside out?

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old October 11th 04, 12:13 AM
Polly Esther

That's not quite how I lay mine. I put batting down first and smooth it
flat. If there are any wrinkles or waves in the batt, I get them taken care
of with the steam iron. Don't touch the iron down on the batt. Trust me. I
like for the batt to be an inch or two larger than the backing. I smooth the
backing out flat on the batting with the backing face up.
Then I put the quilt top on top, face down. This lets me be fairly sure
that the batt and backing haven't traveled off in any direction. If batting
and backing are a little larger than the quilt top, it helps. You can trim
the excess off after stitching.
Worth repeating: don't forget to make an "X" with pins at the beginning
and ending of the opening you want to leave for turning. IF you forget, you
will remember next time. Polly

"Sharon Harper" wrote You could - but didn't you sew the batting "in"

Old October 11th 04, 04:35 AM
Joanna

I have done this and it helps a little. If you don't mind the smell of
the stuff and it washes out. Helps when quilting it to afterwards it
doesn't move around as much.
Joanna

Estelle Gallagher wrote:

I have just finished my 1st (of 4) eyespy tops ,I have sewn on the back to
birth it and my question is, can I spray baste the batting to either the
back or the front to keep it in place whilst I turn it right side out? Has
anyone done this?I know I'll be washing it after its quilted.
TIA Estelle UK

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old October 12th 04, 01:47 PM
Pat in Virginia

Estelle: A long time back I posted a very helpful method for
this process. I call it Stitch and Turn rather than
birthing. I have this post someplace but do not have time to
search right now. Google for Stitch and Turn and see what
comes up. LEt me know if I can be of further assistance.
TTFN, PAT in VA/USA

Birthing a Quilt ~K-K~ Quilting 6 March 11th 04 07:44 PM
Birthing? Debra Quilting 13 February 24th 04 04:03 PM