Whats Everyone Working On?

Old September 13th 04, 07:09 PM
Butterfly

I'm up to 20 min on 'good days' but have discovered that 15 min is the TOP
of cutting out. Ended up with tendonitis in BOTH shoulders from cutting too
long over a period of days, even with breaks. Next time, I will cut a bit,
sew a bit, and read the NG a bit; instead of trying an all day marathon of
just one or the other....with reading as a break.....
Back to the original set up that worked so long ago.......20 on 20 off--only
back then I started with 10 on and 10 off (thus the 10 Minute Quilt)
Butterfly (lesson learned)

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
When you decide to get back into it you dont mess around! Do you still

need
to work in 15 minute increments?
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but

let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

"Butterfly" wrote in message
In order of priority:
DH's couch quilt (2" squares) (in full swing)
DD's Airplane Quilt (on Design Wall awaiting DD's arrival)
I Spy (twin size) (Squares are cut)
Another baby size I Spy (haven't started but it needs done by Jan 2005)
N E X T (nicely started)
Poiple LC (8 squares done)
Butterfly (its sooooooooo nice to be sewing again : )

Old September 13th 04, 07:13 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you for the wonderful explanations. Ill look forward to seeing what
you post further on these intriguing projects.
Di

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

"georg" wrote in message
news
Diana Curtis wrote:

What is a loop start? And a 1390 quilt?
Diana, striving to become always less ignorant

The 1390 quilt is done in the style of an extant quilt currently in
storage in the Victoria & Albert museum in London. Pictures of it can be
seen in the Medieval Craftsman Series "The Embroiderers" among other
places. It's called the Tristram and Isolde Quilt or the Guarduicci
tapestry. There are no images of it online that I know of.

It is trapunto-like, stuff as you go, back stitched to make pictures on
a whole cloth of linen, stuffed with wool, using linen floss. This is
much more like elaborate needlework. The piece is nearly 3 foot square,
and is the image of 2 knights fighting sword and shield style with
words. When I have the outlining done and all the stuffing worked in, I
get to quilt it. With linen thread in running stitch.

If I'm lucky, I'll be done in March, where I will enter it into a
competition. Then gift the whole thing to a very nice person. For those
in the SCA, it's going to be someone's Ducal Scroll. Loose translation,
it's to commemorate someone's hard work for 2 years of their life.

A loop start is when you take a long thread, double it, and thread the
ends on the needle for about an inch or two. This leaves a loop dangling
off the needle. Put needle through fabric and back without pulling
tight. Put needle through the loop, then pull tight. You have just
secured your thread without any knots. When you finish with the other
end, just back stitch one, then bury it between the layers. This is a
needlework trick to hide all knots.

Ideally, the casualy observer on a galloping horse won't be able to tell
back from front. And yes, I'll be putting up pictures and documentation
on the web when I'm done with it. And instructions on how to get the
look without the effort.

-georg

Old September 13th 04, 07:16 PM
Butterfly

They are right next to the "For ME" quilt : ) I hadn't forgotten.
Butterfly (DH's request for the I Spys (3) plus the 2 for 'my' Grand Nieces
and his couch quilt had taken highest priority )
"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
"Butterfly" wrote:

In order of priority:
DH's couch quilt (2" squares) (in full swing)
DD's Airplane Quilt (on Design Wall awaiting DD's arrival)
I Spy (twin size) (Squares are cut)
Another baby size I Spy (haven't started but it needs done by Jan 2005)
N E X T (nicely started)
Poiple LC (8 squares done)
Butterfly (its sooooooooo nice to be sewing again : )

And it's *so* good to hear that you're able to sew again! BTW,
whatever happened about those fabric swatches I sent you? Any project
coming as a result, or is it still in the "someday" stage?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

Old September 13th 04, 07:21 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Diana Curtis"

What is a loop start? .......

This is an embroidery technique that is used when working with an even
number of strands of fiber -- 2 or 4 or 6, etc. You don't need to knoth or
anchor your fiber before you begin stitching and this helps to reduce bulk.
Take a length of fiber TWICE as long as you are normally comfortable working
with. Fold the length of fiber in half and thread the two ends through your
needle. Make sure that the fold -- or loop -- hangs lower than the two loose
ends. Take your first stitch, going down through the fabric and then back up
again, pulling the fiber through the fabric until the loop end is close to the
surface of the fabric -- DO NOT pull the loop through the fabric, make sure it
is about an inch or so above the fabric.
Next, put your needle through the loop and pull the fiber to tighten the
loop down close to the fabric but leave a bit of slack. BEFORE you have the
loop pulled tight, put your needle (with the fiber threaded through it) back
DOWN through the hole it came up in and pull the needle and fiber completely
through to the back of the fabric. When you snug the fiber down against the
fabric it will automatically pull the loop end to the back of the fabric. You
can now continue stitching in which ever manner you are using. It's a GREAT
way to start a length of fiber and I use it all the time :-)! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old September 13th 04, 07:25 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Butterfly" wrote:

They are right next to the "For ME" quilt : ) I hadn't forgotten.
Butterfly (DH's request for the I Spys (3) plus the 2 for 'my' Grand Nieces
and his couch quilt had taken highest priority )

I'm delighted to hear that, Butterfly! I'm loving working with these
colors again; they're so peaceful and calming.
Old September 13th 04, 07:27 PM
Lisa Ellis

Diana Curtis wrote:
Well? ;-)
What sort of things does everyone have going at the moment in the quilt
family? Dragging out PIGS or finishing up UFOs and WIPS or have new quilts
started appearing?

1) I am making another baby quilt, this time for the wife of one of my
climbing partners: a TAW in bright colors with lizards and frogs. Very
similar to the last baby quilt I made. Sumita is a quilter, so it is
interesting working on something for her. It makes me more aware
of my workmanship.

2) Making double four patch blocks out of the scraps of the baby quilt.
Will make a lap sized quilt with them.

3) Making triple nine-patch blocks. Blues and greens.

4) Still Hand quilting 50's basket quilt. Slowly making progress...

lisae

Old September 13th 04, 07:28 PM
Joanna

We had to pick up some fabric the other day for a another xmas panel
quilt for DMIL. Hubby starts in jokingly about all the projects I got on
the go. So I go through my list. A blue jean quilt, the xmas panel, an
embroidery project, and crochet door knobs for xmas. The girl at the
fabric table, bless her heart, says "that's it? That's not much at all."
I then remind hubby of this wonderful group and tell him I'm probably at
the bottom end of the spectrum for projects on the go. He just laughs.
He likes to do one thing at a time. Doesn't understand how I can be
working on them all, sometimes all in the same day and keep it straight.
He's not a multitasking guy at all. I think because we are women it's
breed into us some how. The men out there that can multitask have just
learned how to do it. I think mine comes because I was an only child,
and bored most of my life. So now I free will to do what I want and I
have several things to keep me busy.
Joanna

Diana Curtis wrote:

Well? ;-)
What sort of things does everyone have going at the moment in the quilt
family? Dragging out PIGS or finishing up UFOs and WIPS or have new quilts
started appearing?
I'm still working on the queen size LC borders, getting ready to MQ the
siggy quilt, plotting the next borders on DDs quilt, and playing with
layouts for Mike's 'Things go better with Coke" quilt. Sometime in the
middle of those I need to design and make two quilted Christmas stockings.
Lets hear your list!
Diana
--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old September 13th 04, 07:37 PM
Butterfly

Me too---it took awhile, didn't it---but I never could have done it without
the support I have received from *My Quilting Group*, right here : )
Butterfly (so each one of you--give yourself a thank you Hug from me)

Old September 13th 04, 07:39 PM
Joanna

I would love to see pics of this even in progess. Hubby and I are both
NASCAR fans.
Joanna

Louise wrote:

I'm *still* working on my NASCAR quilt -- it seems like forever. I really do
like it and I love my step-son who will get it when it's finished, but I
just can't seem to get enthused about it. I have about 1/3 left, so maybe
it's just the 2/3 Syndrome hitting me! I have to change my attitude toward
it, I guess. I haven't finished anything since the beginning of the year, so
I really need to get something DONE!

--
Remove Quilt to reply