You'll never believe this

Old September 13th 04, 07:43 PM
teleflora

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
pbbbbbbbbbbt! In all honsety, I didn't see them as a way to get
children interested in sewing/quilting. What I saw were extremely
garish fabrics thrown together and packaged together for $5 a pop.....

Made at slave wages, I'll guarantee.

Cindy

Old September 13th 04, 07:53 PM
teleflora

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
Pre-cut kits have been around what, since the '30's? I had never heard
until recently that someone who used a kit wasn't really making their
own quilt. I think some quilters are getting a bit "purist" about it
all. Are we going to have to start growing our own cotton and weaving
our own cloth before we can really call it our own quilt? ;-)

Well, darn! I am fairly new at this and I am kind of nervous about choosing
colors. I may as well just go buy a quilt since I can't take credit for the
quilts I have created using kits. I had lots of fun making them. Doesn't
that count for anything?

We have people in our guild that believe this way, as well. They will sniff
and turn away at the mention of a quilt that has been MQ by a professional.
But some of the guild members either don't enjoy the quilting part, or have
so many obligations that they would never be able to finish a quilt. But
these quilts will always be looked at as "lesser efforts".

I don't care whether it is a pre-printed panel, a kit, or if you have taken
every shortcut in the world. If you made something, good on ya!

Everybody likes to say "live and let live", but very few can actually do it.

Cindy and speaking of gaudy, my poor grandma made some pretty wild choices
when it came to color combinations toward the end of her life. Whew! I
kept them, but those quilts are on the bottom. I think the double knit
turquoise had to be the low point.

Old September 13th 04, 08:01 PM
teleflora

"Susan Laity Price" wrote in message

There is a place for all of these groups but we must protect the value
of the traditional quilt. We don't want future generations to think
the project made by the craft quilter is the same as a traditional
quilt.

But don't you think that the value of a traditional quilt speaks for itself?
And are we talking about monetary value? Artistic value? I am a crafter.
I will always be a crafter. God gave me the ability to appreciate art, but
he didn't grace me with much talent. And that's ok, after years of aspiring
to be artistic, I am now content to appreciate and learn from the talent of
others. And I will never allow myself to feel that I am lessened somehow
because people want to judge my quilt against a standard I will never
attain. I like the stuff I make. If nobody else does, I really don't care.
This is exactly why I never bring anything to the guild meetings to show.

Cindy

Old September 13th 04, 10:52 PM
Susan Laity Price

I just reread my statement from earlier in the day. It does sound a
little pious. I am not talking about the beginner or the occational
reproduction of a quilt you have seen. I am talking about always
duplicating someone else's design. Never stepping out on your own.

The comparison by others of buying pre-made blocks vs. having a
longarm quilter finish a quilt is fair on the surface but there is the
factor of size when quilting a large quilt. The physical requirements
to quilt a queen size piece on my home machine is more than I can deal
with.

All of this talk about the blocks at JoAnn's will now require me to
visit JoAnn's just to see the blocks.

Susan

Old September 13th 04, 11:35 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
You are, of course, welcome to have your opinions g
including what you say are "3 different types of quilters." ;-)
The boundaries seem much wider from my side of the state line g,
and I see dozens of different types of quilters. My own style runs
between traditional and artistic, with no machine quilting added to
any of my projects. Some of my best friends are machine quilters,
and some of my favorite quilts were machine quilted before they
came to live with me.
While I'm not interested in kits from JoAnns, I do remember when
those little embroidery kits from the dime store got me started
on handsewing when I was 5 yrs. old.
Once everyone had a dresser scarf and antimacassar
w/ Sandra's embroidery g, it was time to branch out. I started
piecing little quilt tops from scraps, then back to pillowcase kits
which included the thread and stamped patterns, followed by
the tablecloth kits and the rug kits.
Several years ago my mom found some Dbl. Wddng. Ring
"Quilter Friendly" panels at a fabric shop and just had to have them.
She does not quilt anymore g so she sent them to me. For her
birthday gift that year, I returned one Finished quilt to her; for my dad's
b-day 3 months later, I sent the other Finished quilt; both quilts were
treasured by my folks and displayed proudly on their beds. I slept under
my dad's quilt when I was down south for his funeral. Mom still has her
DWR on her bed. She's happy w/ these quilts, and I reckon
"There's no accounting for taste." VBG
Back in the 1980s, Mom bought a quilt kit, all fabric included
which meant some poly/cotton, for a Broken Star quilt. She got half-way
thru' the piecing and got stuck, so she sent the whole wad to her
mother and aunts in Illinois. They pieced the top and sent it back to Mom
who kept it in a box for several years. When she finally asked me
to quilt it, I was happy to help, amazed to see that those handpiecing
stitches
look so much like mine (altho' there are several generations of quilters
on both sides of my family, I did not learn to quilt from those quilters,
living 1600 miles away). Once again, my mom received a Finished quilt
for her birthday, and treasures it so much that she won't put it on the bed
in case someone sits on it. g

And my point is that It Takes All Kinds,
and There's Something To Please Everyone
in the great big world of quilting. Thank god!

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy--handquilter, whatever the style

"Susan Laity Price" wrote in message
When I was publishing regularly in the craft industry it got to the
point where the industry thought the American public wanted a craft
80% finished before they started. In other words, the American just
wanted to glue a few ready made pieces together and call it their
creation. That just wasn't my style and I have moved on to other
occupations.

I have always said that there are three different types of quilters.
This newsgroup is mainly the traditional quilter. We like to
experiment with different styles but we do mostly usable quilts. There
are the art quilters who make things only to be hung on the wall. They
don't factor in that the finished piece will ever be laundered. They
just nip and tuck and put the thing together without the aid of any
math. The final group is what I call the craft quilter. They haven't
much faith in their own creativity. They duplicate exactly someone
else's creation. They often make several of the same design because
once they figure out how to make it they assume everyone they know
will want one. They are drawn to straight forward colors and designs.

There is a place for all of these groups but we must protect the value
of the traditional quilt. We don't want future generations to think
the project made by the craft quilter is the same as a traditional
quilt.

Susan

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:28:59 GMT, CNYstitcher
wrote:

Was in JoAnns a few days ago just looking, wasting time...testing out
the new glasses (definite difference, but NO headaches!!) and I saw the
most disgusting thing they could ever put in front of a
quilter......pre-pieced quilt blocks!! Yep, the entire block put
together already, about $5 per block. All you need to do is buy however
many you need for your desired size, stitche them together into
rows/columns and add the batting/backing

I was glad, however to notice I wasn't the only one disgusted...a lady
and her daughter were in the store looking for fabric for a halloween
costume, and when Mom saw them, she loudly said, "You've got to be
kidding me!!"

Argh!!

Well, maybe this is the way to get my Mother into quilting...who knows?
Mom2, on the other hand, is taking the plunge and
cutting/piecing/birthing her very first quilt as they stay safe in NC
while the hurricanes swamp their area of Florida

Larisa, disgusted, totally disgusted

Old September 13th 04, 11:43 PM
nzl*

ah ok, u'r off the hook then, lol. had me worried.

now then what is your taste and how were those blocks done?
those of us who've not got access to even see them would love to know, well
i would anyhow.

i'm not one who buys precut vegetables with a sachet of sauce and all you
gotta do is toss'em all in the pan and cook but then thats me.
patchwork is a bit trickier than cooking but theres joy in the making even
when things dont go exactly as you'd hoped. ah well....
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"georg" wrote...
nzl* wrote:

and what, pray tell, is wrong with chartreuse aka lime, orange and shall

we say, hmmmm how bout fuchsia, just to keep the colours all in a lovely
combo.

ok, then those on black will really POP!!!

I don't mind those colors if they are done to my taste.
Those weren't.
-georg

Old September 14th 04, 12:47 AM
Sharon Harper

Hear Hear! I started with a kit for my first quilt top. It contained the
pattern and the material - I had to do the cutting and applique and what
not. It was easy and mindless but it got me started. Sometimes that's all
that it takes. Now I'm happy to play and fondle and do my own thing. But
as they say.....horses for courses, every dog has it's way er day, look
before you leap.....oh heck, do whatever suits you best!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

om...

Old September 14th 04, 02:42 AM
-=- Jennie-=-

well I only got into quilting (i'm still not in i'm more in the this
sure looks easier than it is stage) by a cushion quilt kit, i admit it
i bought it found it fun and easy enough (they lied it's not that easy
when theres no instructions) and gave it to my mum for mothers day she
loves it more for my attempts to sew straight than any real beauty in
it, but if it wasnt for that kit i'd still be buying my quilts
premade. - someone has to buy all these beauties someone else makes
)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:35:30 GMT, " Ellison"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old September 14th 04, 03:11 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL - my mother was amazed that I got into this - she'd been nagging me for
20 years to learn how to sew (and I resisted all attempts!) and there I go
and do it on my own!

Old September 14th 04, 03:17 AM
..Mickie Swall..

I saw the pre-made blocks at JoAnn's on Saturday.
Some of them were pieced pretty good, considering the
pinwheel block had 8 points coming together in the
center, and some of them almost matched.... and only
a couple of the points on the outside edges would be
nipped, unless you pieced them together very carefully
with 1/16th-inch seam allowances.... shudder

The scary thing is, at $4.99 each, it would cost $100
for a 20 block quilt, set 5 rows of 4 blocks. Since these
are only 10-inch (finished) blocks, your $100 quilt
top would only be a mere 40" x 50".... unless you buy
some extra yardage from bolts prominately displayed
beneath the blocks to add borders. And then a bit more
if you want matching binding. You can always use one
of the generous 40%-off coupons to lessen the price.
But you can only use one coupon on ONE block at a time.

A far leap from the pre-cut kits which were way cheaper.
Gotta hand it to JoAnn though, what a store!

Mickie

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
I think this might produce a more "real looking" quilt than a
pre-printed panel does. So perhaps the company figured they could
market the pre-pieced blocks to those who like those panels.

Pre-cut kits have been around what, since the '30's? I had never heard
until recently that someone who used a kit wasn't really making their
own quilt. I think some quilters are getting a bit "purist" about it
all. Are we going to have to start growing our own cotton and weaving
our own cloth before we can really call it our own quilt? ;-)

marcella

Pat in Virginia wrote:

That is not my cup of tea, but it will probably appeal to a variety of
people. Buying commercially made patchwork blocks.... hmm? Is it
really any different than piecing your own top and then paying to have
it commercially quilted? I think not. Either way, I would not feel it
was 'completely' my quilt. I do not fault anyone who wants to work
that way though. To each her own!
PAT, who is too frugal to do either any how!

CNYstitcher wrote:

Was in JoAnns a few days ago just looking, wasting time...testing out
the new glasses (definite difference, but NO headaches!!) and I saw
the most disgusting thing they could ever put in front of a
quilter......pre-pieced quilt blocks!! Yep, the entire block put
together already, about $5 per block. All you need to do is buy
however many you need for your desired size, stitche them together
into rows/columns and add the batting/backing

I was glad, however to notice I wasn't the only one disgusted...a
lady and her daughter were in the store looking for fabric for a
halloween costume, and when Mom saw them, she loudly said, "You've
got to be kidding me!!"

...cut...