curious question

Old September 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
Julia in MN

When we went from dial-up to cable Internet, we dropped the call-waiting
& other stuff on our phone line. That made up most of the difference in
cost between dialup and cable. We had had call-waiting because my
husband was working out of town and did not appreciate getting the busy
signal when he tried to call home and I was on the computer; with
call-waiting, my Internet session would get interrupted and his call
would go through.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 2nd 04, 04:15 AM
Shona in NZ

I pay per minute here in NZ. DSL is an overly expensive option at this
point and flat rates are usually far more than what I pay now per minute.
Granted, if I used internet at home half as much as I use it at work, things
would be different :-)

Shona with only a clunker putt putt at home in NZ

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
not that I am for advertising in this group or anything like that, but a
doubt has piqued my curiosity. every time we get one of those obnoxious
posts somebody brings out the fact that 'some of us' pay per minute. I
know my mom does that back home, but I am wondering how many of us
really do that and how many have a DSL or dialup plan with a constant
rate no matter how many hours you are connected?
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)

Old September 2nd 04, 04:18 AM
Boca Jan

We have DSL Deluxe. DH has to have the fastest access possible for work. It
is nice. Everything just pops up for me. One fee per month.

Boca Jan

"Nancy Speicher" wrote in message
I don't pay by the minute/hour, but I don't have DSL or dialup. I just
ignore the ads.

snip

Old September 2nd 04, 04:37 AM
nbhilyard

Jan, is DSL Deluxe really the fastest? Or do you mean the fastest for a
residence? At the library we have a T-1 line, which is wonderful. (Our
local area network has 75 PCs which are basically on, and online, all day
long.)

DSL only works if you're within 2 miles of the telephone switching
station -- it uses copper wire and that's as far as copper wire transmits
unless it has a booster. Which our SBC/Ameritech does not. [So it was
explained to me by the SBC/Ameritech guy.]

So I have cable modem, thus freeing me from having to have a second phone
line.

Nann

.. .

Old September 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
Marlys in Indiana

I started with dialup but was allowed an enormous number of minutes per
month which I never exceeded, even though I'm addicted to the Internet.
Now have cable broadband and it is so fast, I can't imagine going back
to dialup unless it became an absolute necessity - such as near poverty
striking us.g Yes, broadband costs twice as much as dialup but I'm
much happier, even though much poorer. I still find enough coin to buy
more fabric. ;-)
Marlys in Indiana

Old September 2nd 04, 04:53 AM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

I get by with one phone line because our phone company started offering
Internet Call Waiting. If I get a call when I'm on the internet a window
pops up with the name & phone # of the caller and giving me the following
cell phone, or shut down the internet and let my phone ring. It's worked
quite well. I really appreciate not having to pay for two phone lines which
I did for a few years.
--
Donna in Idaho
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove "invalid" to reply

"nbhilyard" wrote in message
Jan, is DSL Deluxe really the fastest? Or do you mean the fastest for a
residence? At the library we have a T-1 line, which is wonderful. (Our
local area network has 75 PCs which are basically on, and online, all day
long.)

DSL only works if you're within 2 miles of the telephone switching
station -- it uses copper wire and that's as far as copper wire transmits
unless it has a booster. Which our SBC/Ameritech does not. [So it was
explained to me by the SBC/Ameritech guy.]

So I have cable modem, thus freeing me from having to have a second phone
line.

Nann

.. .

Old September 2nd 04, 05:15 AM
melinda

Don/Gen wrote:
We pay $20 per month through MSN for 24/7 access. I can stay on line for 24
hours if I want and it's still only $20, newsgroups included. I doubt I'd
bother with them if I had to pay extra.
Gen

We pay $27.50 Oz a month for 7am to 7pm with 300Mb download limit
on an ISDN setup. Quicker than standard dial-up but not quite
as quick as broadband but cheaper than broadband.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 2nd 04, 07:22 AM
Luisa

-hallo from Genova-Italy I have ADSL .I open pc at 6 in the morning and I
turn off in the night..80 euro a month telephon free but not for cellular
(correctly written?)
Luisa
--------------

Old September 2nd 04, 08:06 AM
Charlie

Here in the "old world" we're as technologically advanced as you. SHOCK
HORROR! We have 512k Broadband that we pay a flat rate per month too. And
we're at the bottom of the earning chain, a student living with someone with
no qualifications!

Charlie.

"Siptah" wrote in message
we've got a broadband cable modem here, flat monthly rate and "always on"

as
they say. (fortunately DH is a network admin, so we know our systems are
firewalled and safe, even if we leave the machines on and connected 24/7).
My understanding is that in the "old world" areas (UK, Europe esp) that

all
dial up (even phone?) is pay per minute, that flat rate plans are only

just
starting to surface in some of the metro areas.

--
Siptah
Columbus, OH

Old September 2nd 04, 09:43 AM
Kate Dicey

DrQuilter wrote:

not that I am for advertising in this group or anything like that, but a
doubt has piqued my curiosity. every time we get one of those obnoxious
posts somebody brings out the fact that 'some of us' pay per minute. I
know my mom does that back home, but I am wondering how many of us
really do that and how many have a DSL or dialup plan with a constant
rate no matter how many hours you are connected?

I have dial-up with 40 hours a month, so wasting it downloading ads I
don't want is a painful experience: if I go over my allocated time, they
cut me off, even if I had hours left unused the month before! OUCH!
This is also why I usually read and answer news groups off line.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours trying to upload my latest website update
(there are loads of photos of the latest escapades!), and it was all
wasted when the transfer was interrupted by a cold caller trying to sell
me double glazing. I'm afraid they got short shrift from me... I
didn't quite tell him I'd bricked up the windows to escape people like
him, but it was close!

Need broadband... Trouble is it costs more. It's a matter of weighing
up the odds... Most months we don't quite use up the allocated time,
but some months we need more, and if DH is working from home and dialing
in, he's occupying the line (though he doesn't pay for work calls as
they go through a different number) and my customers cannot get through,
and I can't get out to order fabrics and stuff or do the historical
research for things like this month's 71st Highland Light Infantry
jackets, circa 1808!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk