Questions for Hug Hostesses

Old August 11th 04, 09:52 AM
Lizzy Taylor

Default Questions for Hug Hostesses

Diana Curtis wrote:
Id like to open a discussion about making Hugs or group quilt projects.
There is nothing more emotional than making a Hug, it has to be one of the
most joyful things we can do with our art. Having participated in a few now,
two as hostess and a few as the quilter, I would like to hear from others
what you found to be the most frustrating parts of the project, what was
most fun, and what would you do differently next time you were called to
host one.

I have only been a HUG Mom once but did the lot. Here are a few thoughts.

Good things a

Lots of blocks.

The extra $ really do help (in my case they went into the pile of
small bills that go back out to the USA with HUG blocks - made more
sense than paying commission to change them into GBP)

It is also great seeing what falls through the letterbox each day.

Block makers who let you know the block(s) are on the way.

Blocks the right size or a shade over.

Not so good things:

Smoky blocks - fabreze & fresh air are your friends!

Undersized blocks.

A couple of other thoughts (not in the god/not so good categories)

If you are doing paper foundation piecing ask your HUG hostess whether
they prefer the paper removed or not. I had some with all the paper
on,some with none on and some wtih just the paper "frame". I think I
liked the ones with the paper frame the best as it kept the block
stable, but *I* didn't have to take all the little itty bits of paper
out ;-)

If there is a theme or colour scheme - try to stick to it as that makes
doing the layout so much easier.

Don't be offended if your block is on the back with the label - doing a
HUG layout can be tricky and it does depend so much on how many blocks
come in.

Most of all though JOIN IN!

Lizzy
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old August 11th 04, 11:43 AM
frood

The most frustrating part for me in the past has been undersize blocks. I've
seen some stunning blocks that were too small! The other part is blocks that
are poorly made. Just because this is a great time to try something new
doesn't mean that construction doesn't count! I'm not talking about points
cut off, or mis-matched seams, either. Blocks that don't lay flat, that
don't have enough seam allowance so they don't fall apart or are so
hopelessly un-square that they can't be used.

I also agonize over putting blocks on the back, worried that the sender
might be offended. But, hey! A quilt needs a back and a front, both sides
are equally important.

It is great when folks tell you that blocks are coming, even better if they
mention how many, if sending more than 1.

I don't think I'd do anything differently if hosting a HUG. But I will
participate in donating more HUG blocks. And let the hostess know what's
coming! ;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Id like to open a discussion about making Hugs or group quilt projects.
There is nothing more emotional than making a Hug, it has to be one of the
most joyful things we can do with our art. Having participated in a few

now,
two as hostess and a few as the quilter, I would like to hear from others
what you found to be the most frustrating parts of the project, what was
most fun, and what would you do differently next time you were called to
host one.
My goal is to help those who might wish to host one avoid or anticipate

the
most common problems, and encourage those people who would like to donate
blocks or time to a Hug to feel less shy about doing so.
Diana

Old August 11th 04, 12:00 PM
georg

Diana Curtis wrote:

Id like to open a discussion about making Hugs or group quilt projects.
There is nothing more emotional than making a Hug, it has to be one of the
most joyful things we can do with our art. Having participated in a few now,
two as hostess and a few as the quilter, I would like to hear from others
what you found to be the most frustrating parts of the project, what was
most fun, and what would you do differently next time you were called to
host one.

I hosted one. Have a longer deadline if it's around Kissmoose...
otherwise, folks are too busy with kissmoose to send blocks.

The joy is getting all of those blocks! It's like getting squishies
every day!

If I would do it all over, I think I would do better with the sashing
and block storage. I did misplace a couple of blocks- which ended up on
the back of the quilt, and 4 blocks came after I was almost all done, so
a second quilt was made to go with, and sent on. And um, my sashing is
just plain off on the top part of the quilt. But hey, it was my first
full size twin that was sooo elaborate, and overall I did pretty good. I
had done bigger things, but they were all tied and not elaborately pieced.

I'll probably host another one some day.

-georg

Old August 11th 04, 01:27 PM
the black rose

Diana Curtis wrote:
Id like to open a discussion about making Hugs or group quilt projects.
There is nothing more emotional than making a Hug, it has to be one of the
most joyful things we can do with our art. Having participated in a few now,
two as hostess and a few as the quilter, I would like to hear from others
what you found to be the most frustrating parts of the project, what was
most fun, and what would you do differently next time you were called to
host one.
My goal is to help those who might wish to host one avoid or anticipate the
most common problems, and encourage those people who would like to donate
blocks or time to a Hug to feel less shy about doing so.
Diana

Good things:
getting blocks in the mail is fun
doing something nice feels good
seeing close-up the incredible piecing skills some people have
the only squishie I ever got came as an also-ran with a block

Bad things (taking a deep breath because this is scary):
getting blocks covered with cat hair when you're *very* allergic
getting barely enough blocks (fewer than 20) to make a crib-size quilt
when all the other hostesses rave about getting dozens and making twin
size or queen size quilts out of them
getting email from people who aren't sure your cause is "worthy"
(whatever that means)

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 11th 04, 01:34 PM
georg

the black rose wrote:

Good things:
getting blocks in the mail is fun
doing something nice feels good
seeing close-up the incredible piecing skills some people have
the only squishie I ever got came as an also-ran with a block

Bad things (taking a deep breath because this is scary):
getting blocks covered with cat hair when you're *very* allergic
getting barely enough blocks (fewer than 20) to make a crib-size quilt
when all the other hostesses rave about getting dozens and making twin
size or queen size quilts out of them
getting email from people who aren't sure your cause is "worthy"
(whatever that means)

I still felt loved. And I needed it.

Still using it, even now that things are better,
-georg

Old August 11th 04, 01:50 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Diana Curtis"

Having participated in a few now,
two as hostess and a few as the quilter, I would like to hear from others
what you found to be the most frustrating parts of the project, what was
most fun, and what would you do differently next time you were called to
host one.
My goal is to help those who might wish to host one avoid or anticipate the
most common problems, and encourage those people who would like to donate
blocks or time to a Hug to feel less shy about doing so.

I have done three {{{HUG}} quilts now and loved doing all of them. Before I
say anything else, let me say that some of the best blocks have come from
Newbies!!! PLEASE, don't be afraid to join in a {{{HUG}}} just because you
don't have a lot of experience! Because I work out of my home and have no kids
at home, etc. to take up my time, I have been able to do all the work (piecing
and quilting) myself. I think I have a bit of experience now and have formed
some pretty solid good & bad ideas about the whole thing so here goes....

GOOD STUFF:
You get LOTS of blocks to work with and it really does make going to the
mailbox an adventure.
Even tho' I usually specify that I don't *need* any $$, I have always gotten
some. I use the $$ to replace supplies, for postage if needed, or to buy a
specific color thread for quilting the {{{HUG}}}.
It's a great opportunity to get creative with block layout. Each {{{HUG}}}
I have done has been totally different. I put my quilt wall up and pin the
blocks to the wall as they arrive. Then I just keep looking at them until a
layout starts to form in my head.
It's also good when people let you they have mailed their block. If you
send more than one block, make sure you let the {{{HUG}}} maker know that too
:-). On this last {{{HUG}}}, a quilting newbie sent me 5 or 6 blocks made of
the same fabric, which was neat. I used 1 of the blocks in the {{{HUG}}} and
the others went into the pillows I made to go with the {{{HUG}}}.

BAD STUFF:
IMHO, small blocks are the bane of a {{{HUG}}} quilt. I specify that blocks
need to be a *generous* 6.5" and untrimmed. All rulers are not created equal
so I like to do the final squaring up of the donated blocks with my ruler --
that way, everything is the same size. On this last quilt, I had many blocks
that were just a bit too small (usually about 1/4") by *my* ruler measurement.
As a result, I had to trim down all of the other blocks and a lot of them lost
their beautifully precise points in the process.
Dirty or smelly blocks are also not much fun to get but I have gotten them.
This has been mentioned but I think it bears repeating. Check your finished
block before you send it and make sure it is clean. For those who smoke or use
a lot of perfume, remember to air out your block &/or use Febreeze on it.
Poorly made blocks can also be a royal P.I.T.A. As mentioned already by
someone else, I am NOT talking about blocks whose points get a bit wonky or
have "unique" seams. I am talking about blocks that have no hope of every
being square, won't lay flat, have seams not securely sewn, etc. This doesn't
happen often but it does happen.
"Make Do" blocks -- these are blocks that are maybe 1" too small so the
person making the block adds a wee, tiny little border all the way around.
Usually the 1/4" seam allowance of the added border is almost a wide as the
remaining fabric of the border itself! These blocks are near impossible to
work with as all the seam allowances (the one for the added border and the one
when the block is sewn into the quilt top) end up making that part of the
{{{HUG}}} really lumpy.

I am sure there are tons more good and bad things that could be mentioned.
One of the things that happens and is neither good or bad are the late arriving
blocks. These are usually used on the back of a {{{HUG}}} or, as in the case
for this last {{{HUG}}} I made, used to make coordinating pillows. Most
importantly, don't let ANY of this keep any of you from being involved in a
{{{HUG}}} -- either as "host/ess" or participant.
One last time let me repeat that your experience level as a quilter should
NOT be a factor in contributing a block to a {{{HUG}}}. If you really are new
and are afraid to send a pieced block, send a simple 4-patch block and don't
worry if that one intersection of the seams isn't spot on perfect! If even
that scares you, send in a whole cloth block -- I have gotten plenty of those
and used them all :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old August 11th 04, 01:54 PM
Polly Esther

I received a squishie that I dearly loved that was sent by a kitty. Not that
his staff realized he was enthusiastically participating. He tucked in some
love and a tuff of cat hair and just made my day. Since we are without a
kitty right now, I do miss the attentions of a doting feline.
We used to have a maintenance worker who poured vast quantities of a
horrible cleaner in our office bathrooms. Didn't clean anything, just poured
it around - and it would actually burn our noses and throats miserably. I
understand allergies but would recommend that a hostess with an allergy
would want to have someone else open the blocks mail. We wouldn't want to
hurt the feelings of the QIs by suggesting that they were unwelcome to
participate. Well, so long as they don't include snakes, bats and other
gifts. Polly

"the black rose" wrote in part

Old August 11th 04, 02:05 PM
frood

Yes! Just to reiterate what Tia Mary said, inexperience is not an excuse for
not sending a block! Simple blocks are great - they work into many layouts
easily! I personally love 4-patches - I love the way the eye is drawn on the
diagonal, creating movement in a quilt. If the seams don't quite meet in the
middle, no one notices. Really!

So, Newbies, don't be scared to send in a block! Take your time, yes, take
care, but don't stress! This is one time where the thought really does
count. :-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...

Old August 11th 04, 02:29 PM
Queen of Squishies

That's a good point. As the keeper of the Hug List, I will try to ask each
Hug requester if there are any allergy issues to mention regarding the
incoming blocks. And ladies and gents, if I forget, please just mention it
yourself when sending me a Hug request. I'm glad this came up.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
with allergy related asthma myself

Old August 11th 04, 02:31 PM
Queen of Squishies

Yeah, that was a bummer. Not many people knew you guys yet, for one thing.
But every Hug takes on a life of it's own, it seems. And I've never seen an
ugly Hug, a too small Hug, or a disappointing Hug. Somehow, it just always
works out.

Karen, Queen of Squishies