...mutter mutter...Help?

Old May 25th 04, 10:52 PM
Patti

Hullo KK
Well, on the assumption that *one day* you might want to make a few
pointy triangles (not that there's anything wrong with a tiny fourth
side like Kathy said!), you have to find out which of the many reasons
out there is/are causing your points to vanish.
Pressing can have a lot to do with it. Take one and press it three
different ways - up, down and open. You will see a noticeable different
between them.
Pinning is another favourite. The method I have adopted and which works
for me is what I call 'perpendicular' pinning. Put a fine pin through
the very tip of the triangle into where it *ought* to be matching. Put
both sides together, but leave the 'perpendicular pin sticking straight
out. Holding tightly, put two further pins either side of the
'perpendicular' pin and anchor the spot before taking the 'p' pin out
before sewing. It only takes a fraction more time, and less than
unpicking and re-sewing.
Thickness of fabric can affect this - thicker fabrics need 'more space'
to be folded/pressed back than fine ones.
Thickness of the seam itself can affect it.
Cutting the original piece; and sewing on exactly (or not) the right
line can all have an input.
BUT once you have detected your own special demon, and exorcised it, you
will have no further problem. Well, perhaps just the odd one, to
reassure you and your friends that you are still human!!!
Good luck - it's do-able, honestly (but not in a tantrum gg - that's
not what trail blazing means)
..
In article FNNsc.8603$J02.4515@edtnps84, ~KK~ in B.C.
writes
ok I want to know right now! I want to read it in the rules! I want to see
it right before my very eyeballs RIGHT NOW!!!......... ok so it's NOT here
so I AM right after all!!! *mutter mutter -explicit verbs intermixed- mutter
mutter*

I have come to the conclusion.... I HATE TRIANGLES!!! AND EVEN HATE THEM
STINKING POINTS EVEN MORE!!!! *yes I am throwing my best imitation of one of
my DD temper tantrums here*

I decided that it was time for me to attack a different shape from a
rectangle or a square so logically I chose a triangle! Now I dont know who
planted that seed but it wasnt anything but a damn weed!! lol

Just had to vent here, frustrations of trying to make points has almost
driven me around the bend....

besides, how is it going to be an original and ~KK~ true quilt if it looks
perfect with points like every other HST top out there huh? yeah.... that's
it..... original! me! mine! no two alike! Yup that is my theory alright! The
rest of you can conform to those perfect point people and just blend in, not
me, no way, I gotta be me!!! *and I am too disgusted to go back and try it
again for the umteenth time!* lol

In other words, what is the trick?????? I pinned, I held it, I smooshed and
straightened and eased and creased and..... well you name it I could have
tried it but still no nice points... well that's a lie, I have a few nice
points they just dont like each other enough to meet.

~KK~ about to toss this sucker into the trash....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success is not
a path you find, but a trail
you blaze.' -- Robert Brault

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 25th 04, 10:55 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Hey...three makes us a club, right?

marcella
seam presser opener (unless it's hand pieced)

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

You can hide over here with me, another "seam open" person. *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Kathy " wrote in message
In other words, what is the trick?????? I pinned, I held it, I smooshed

and
straightened and eased and creased and..... well you name it I could have
tried it but still no nice points...

I'm going to risk having a pin cushion thrown at me (LOL) by suggesting

that
you try pressing your seams open....all of them...and then try stitching

your
points.

Please try a sample and let me know how you do.

Kathy......ducking and running for cover...

http://community.webshots.com/user/katquilts53

Repeat after me......."Spray Starch is my Friend!"

Old May 25th 04, 10:58 PM
georg

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

Awww...you poor thing! Maybe you need to get a book by that quilter who
makes everything wonky on purpose -- no points, nothing matching -- and
it all turns out looking great. What's her name? I can't remember, but I
think she sticks a Z at the end of almost every word....

Jan Mullen?

Lisa Boyer.
-georg
I gots that book. yum!

Old May 25th 04, 11:00 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

There are lots of options....

Practice the three tries and it's perfect rule. Take out things you
don't like a couple of times, but the third time you sew it - declare it
perfect and move on.

Remember that no one but you will examine your quilt from 6 inches away.
(Unless you're sticking it in a judged show...you aren't are you?)

Press it a different way...to the right, to the left, open. Sometimes
it matters.

Sew it with the other piece on top.

Hand baste the trouble spots. Then you'll know they match and won't
move when they are sewn down with the sewing machine.

Buy double sided sewing tape. It's double sided sticky adhesive that
doesn't make your needle sticky. Stick the pieces where you want them
and sew them down.

Use a fluffy batting. When you quilt it the puffiness will hide all
sorts of things you don't want seen.

marcella

Old May 25th 04, 11:01 PM
Diana Curtis

In general I avoid triangles too. When they are unavoidable I paper piece.
You heard it. Even for something as innocent looking as flying geese I paper
piece. It helps. Or, I cut my triangle shape, minus the seam allowance and
press it to the back of the triangle..before cutting out. *add the seam
allowance when cutting.* ..then sew.. press open..voila!
But mostly I steer clear of them.

Diana

"~KK~ in B.C." wrote in message
[...]

---

Old May 25th 04, 11:14 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Some of us do like triangles
and learned to do pointy points.
Just because we wanted to. VBG
But *I* didn't get there overnight!
And the points still stray at times.

Really, it doesn't hurt to at least try to learn to
sew those triangles together, rather than dismissing
them first.

Ya' know, it helps to watch someone else do this,
get a demonstration from a quilter who (mostly)
knows how to make the points pointy.
Ask a more experienced quilter to show you, KK. The quilter will
be flattered, and you'll be less frustrated (maybe g).
A quilting social life helps.

Meanwhile, try butting the seams up against each other,
w/ one seam going to the left, the other to the right,
stick a pin right thru' the center of that intersection.
http://www.cottonwoodquilts.com/ironing.htm

http://www.cottonwoodquilts.com/corners.htm

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy-- "It's just quilting!" says Mary Ellen Hopkins

Old May 25th 04, 11:29 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you so much, ~KK~, for an at least five star fit. I just don't when
I've enjoyed one so much. Atta girl. Way to go. At least we won't have to
worry about your getting an ulcer from repressing your frustration.
For what it's worth, do you realize that you can get the points fine,
and then when you press, throw them off by pressing in the wrong direction?
Also, if I am determined to match points, I put on my safety goggles
(really) and sew over pins. The worst that can happen is you'll bend the
pins, break the needle and destroy your SM - but the points will match and
your eyes will be safe. Polly

Old May 25th 04, 11:34 PM
Piglet

Well, if you *care* about your points (and there are a lotta posts here that
argue agin it, but your callg) one possibility is to change your
technique.

Two things I've been known to do to fix that: if you're doing the "pin two
squares together, make two seams, cut apart" bit is to deliberately make
them larger than needed and trim to size after they're squares. Even when
sewing squares on the diagonal, it's a real bear to completely avoid
stretching, sometimes unevenly.

Second: slower, takes longer than that method, but dang, it WORKS: Use Marti
Michell's templates to cut your triangles. Her templates actually have you
trimming off the (seam allowance) points from the pieces, and pretty much
simplifies aligning things properly. For some reason, when the points are
still there it doesn't seem to align as well for me as when they aren't.
And of course it does a lot to pre-clean out bunchy seam allowance meetings,
which probably helps too.

--pig

On 5/25/04 15:13, opined:

Old May 25th 04, 11:37 PM
~KK~ in B.C.

rof lol-ing

You are so welcome and now I have something else to ponder and have visions
of........

~KK~ who is wondering if DH or kids would notice or think it odd to see Mom
sitting @ the machine with goggles and gloves on, with the music turned loud
to not hear the crunching and pinging of the poor pins needles and
machine?????

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'The road to success

hlink.net...

Old May 25th 04, 11:40 PM
~KK~ in B.C.

good links thanks! and I am beginning to think I am totally one of those
that thinks points are just something that could be over-rated LOL

~KK~ off to whine to her closest quilter friends...errr that was off to seek
advice from them

--
'The road to success

. ..