OT very. Long Hair Care

Old May 8th 04, 01:56 PM
Diana Curtis

I found that going to sleep with my hair wet meant I would wake up with an
itchy scalp and still damp hair. My hair is thick, and doesnt dry quickly. I
prefer to wash it in the tub with the hand held shower attachment in the
morning, and using a shower cap at night.
Diana

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply "
I wash my hair at night in the shower and,

CiaoMeow
^;;^

.

Old May 8th 04, 02:34 PM
Coleen

Liz --

How wonderful, so glad your surgery worked for you.

But, I don't think my hair would be to my waist if it grew for twice that
time -- very slow growing here, lol.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"Liz & Allan MacDonald" wrote in message

Four years, nine months, and three weeks.
I had brain surgery in July 1999. They only shaved part of one side,
but a hairdresser friend buzzed the rest for me. I got lots of
compliments when my hair was only about a cm long. The other side of my
head looked exactly like the curved stitching on a baseball.
It's now down to my waist, and a wire bristle brush is best.
The tumor was benign, and my epilepsy stopped that day.
Liz

Old May 8th 04, 02:55 PM
Patti

I sincerely doubt that Polly would tire first! g
..
In article , Diana Curtis
writes
Suave's lavender isnt the most lavendery smelling, its a bit sweet, but its
nice to pair together with a lavender body wash that some other company
makes. If I could Id go with unscented since it doesnt really have a smell
after its dry anyway.
Bangs in my eyes make me feel sloppy and half blind. Clipping it back
makes me look like a bag lady. *apologies to all bag ladies out there*. A
nice tidy pony tail feels efficient and ready to go to work.
I think we long hairs need to go to Pollys swamp and have a girls night.
We will eat to much chocolate, stay up late doing one another hair and then
do just a little stitching and stash raiding after we wear Polly out. :-)
Diana

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
link.net...
Oh yes, Diana. Not having bangs in your face is so nice. I'm already
enjoying that. Does Suave really come in lavender scent? Sound lovely.
Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 8th 04, 03:32 PM
nana2b

When my hair was long I used a Afro Comb after shampooing. (My hair grows
very fast and have had it waist length many times.) The teeth are long and
wide apart. No snarls that way. Needless to say I have had that comb for
30 some years. Trimming the ends every other month keeps the ends looking
good.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old May 8th 04, 04:08 PM

The main reason I have long hair my work. I can pull it back and not
worry aobut it a bit. Everyone here is right when suggesting brushing
before shampooing and using care when brushing and combing. I have a
wide toothed plastic comb that I bought from the drgustore and it works
well when my hair is wet. When dry, I use a brush.

I always get compliments from stylists about the good condition of my
hair. I find it odd because I color it; yet they say that it doesn't
show much damage. I minimize breakage and damage by air drying and using
the ponytail ties that have no metal part on them. I also minimize the
use of styling products and heating implements. (Who has the time?) I
love to use Aussie products and have used them for years. I condition my
hair at least once a week with their "3 minute miracle"- more often if my
hair is really dry. I tend to have oiler hair off and on but always use
a light conditioner to prevent tangles and flyaways.

Good luck!

Julie
Richmond, VA

said...
Since moving to The Swamp, I realized that long hair was the easiest way to
go; no perms, stylists, curling irons or curlers. Yes. I can either look
like Maw Kettle or Grace Kelly, depending on the occasion. Since my hair has
always been a short, blow-dry sort, I really need any advice you have on the
care and treatment of long hair. I have learned that tangling long hair
while shampoo-ing creates an enormous mess and can be avoided by just being
conservative. Is there a better kind of brush and/or comb that won't break
or damage long hair? Do any of you have a special recipe (such as mayonnaise
and pickled pumpkin seed) that is good for it? or have you found a
brand/type of shampoo that you favor? I sure need help, this is a new
territory for me. Polly

Old May 8th 04, 04:17 PM
NightMist

On Sat, 08 May 2004 03:39:03 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Since moving to The Swamp, I realized that long hair was the easiest way to
go; no perms, stylists, curling irons or curlers. Yes. I can either look
like Maw Kettle or Grace Kelly, depending on the occasion. Since my hair has
always been a short, blow-dry sort, I really need any advice you have on the
care and treatment of long hair. I have learned that tangling long hair
while shampoo-ing creates an enormous mess and can be avoided by just being
conservative. Is there a better kind of brush and/or comb that won't break
or damage long hair? Do any of you have a special recipe (such as mayonnaise
and pickled pumpkin seed) that is good for it? or have you found a
brand/type of shampoo that you favor? I sure need help, this is a new
territory for me.

Use a decent shampoo and conditioner. Since everybody's head is a bit
different you might have to experiment a bit. Mane and Tail is a good
bet, that cheap stuff in the green bottle made by Garnier is pretty
decent too. Sometimes I get the huge bottles of Pantene in the two
pack, and that works well for me. I have found Suave to be a bit
harsh and avoid it. Do not wash your hair daily though, and when you
do wash it apply the shampoo to the scalp not the length, and just
give the length a lick and a promise unless you got something in it.

If your hair tends to be dry, mine does in the winter, you can use a
light conditioner without shampooing in between shampoos.
Olive oil makes a great hot oil treatment, _unless_ your hair is
colored. Olive oil will hasten the fading of hair dye. If you color
your hair, try grapeseed oil, it rocks.
Vinegar will not dry your hair (at least it doesn't mine) and does a
lot to restore it's proper PH, thus helping it stay strong. But as
with olive oil, it tends to leech the color from dyed hair.
I do not know why it works, but the best herb for hair I have found is
rosemary. A rinse made with rosemary really does seem to make my hair
nice.

So far as brushing and combing, wide toothed combs are best, and only
comb your hair when it is dry. The worst thing in the world for your
hair (that you might actually do on purpose) is brushing your hair
with a synthetic bristle brush when it is wet. Nylon bristle brushes
were invented by satan, avoid them. Natural bristle brushes are
pricey, but depending on your hair they can be totally worth it in the
long run.
You are in the south as I recall? Get yourself a natural bristle
brush, and take yourself down to a voodoo drugstore or a conjur shop
and see if you can get some Brahmi Mind Oil. A few drops of that oil
on the brush before you use it on your hair yields some pretty
spectacular results. I actually mailorder the oil from Miller's
Rexall in Atlanta.

Trimming the ends is important. You need to trim every month or two
to get rid of splits and breaks, otherwise they will just keep
splitting right on up the hair shaft and break off short.

Use a hair dryer only when you absolutely have to.

Check out:

http://www.hairagami.com/hairtutor.html

The products appear to be mostly gimmicky crap. But I have figured
out how to do most of the neat stuff with barrettes, hair sticks and
plain old ponytail holders or scrunchies.
On the other hand Kiri gave me some spring rings, they are fun, and
DD2 (almost bottom length hair) swears by her monky fingers.

NightMist
of the longer than waist length hair
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old May 8th 04, 04:20 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you, Terri. That is exactly what my hair looks like short. Polly

Terri wrote -If my hair were short and left to it's own devices in this
climate,I'd look like Gene Wilder on a bad hair day,presuming he's even
got a good hair day.

Old May 8th 04, 04:34 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I tame the tangles in mine by using a wide tooth comb to comb the
conditioner into my hair.

Maureen

Old May 8th 04, 04:39 PM
frood

Cut it short and dye it pink.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

nk.net...

Old May 8th 04, 05:18 PM
Butterfly

When my hair was wayyyyy long Sis got a Boar Bristle hair brush for
me.......what a dream : )
Actually wore it out before it got tossed.
HTH
Butterfly
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh yes, Diana. Not having bangs in your face is so nice. I'm already
enjoying that. Does Suave really come in lavender scent? Sound lovely.
Polly

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
The best advice I can give you is to wash your hair without wapsing it

up.
Be gentle. Rinse in cool water. Use a brand of shampoo that appeals to

your
sense of smell and pocket book. I go with Suave. Nice suds, nice price,

and
sometimes I find it in lavender scent.
The experts say that brushing or combing while wet is not good. I do

it
anyway. The experts say a lot of things I dont listen to much. I use a

brush
that has wire bristles, tho a comb, or the antique brush with the

natural
bristles work too.
Have fun. Im working my way back to long hair again after shaving it

into
butch cut early last year. I agree, long is the easier way to do hair.

Im
looking forward to putting it in a french braid again. I'm looking

forward
to not having my bangs in my face.
Good luck on your hair growing. The hard part is getting past the

awkward
stages.
HTH