OT very. Long Hair Care

Old May 8th 04, 04:39 AM
Polly Esther

Default OT very. Long Hair Care

Since moving to The Swamp, I realized that long hair was the easiest way to
go; no perms, stylists, curling irons or curlers. Yes. I can either look
like Maw Kettle or Grace Kelly, depending on the occasion. Since my hair has
always been a short, blow-dry sort, I really need any advice you have on the
care and treatment of long hair. I have learned that tangling long hair
while shampoo-ing creates an enormous mess and can be avoided by just being
conservative. Is there a better kind of brush and/or comb that won't break
or damage long hair? Do any of you have a special recipe (such as mayonnaise
and pickled pumpkin seed) that is good for it? or have you found a
brand/type of shampoo that you favor? I sure need help, this is a new
territory for me. Polly

Old May 8th 04, 04:47 AM
Diana Curtis

The best advice I can give you is to wash your hair without wapsing it up.
Be gentle. Rinse in cool water. Use a brand of shampoo that appeals to your
sense of smell and pocket book. I go with Suave. Nice suds, nice price, and
sometimes I find it in lavender scent.
The experts say that brushing or combing while wet is not good. I do it
anyway. The experts say a lot of things I dont listen to much. I use a brush
that has wire bristles, tho a comb, or the antique brush with the natural
bristles work too.
Have fun. Im working my way back to long hair again after shaving it into a
butch cut early last year. I agree, long is the easier way to do hair. Im
looking forward to putting it in a french braid again. I'm looking forward
to not having my bangs in my face.
Good luck on your hair growing. The hard part is getting past the awkward
stages.
HTH
Diana

nk.net...

Old May 8th 04, 04:57 AM
QuiltShopHopper

Mayo has vinegar in it, so the oil that helps your hair is cancelled out by
the vinegar that dries it.
When I had long hair, I used a deep conditioner once a week on my dry hair
when I wasn't planning on leaving the house, then took a plastic grocery bag
and piled up all my hair and put the bag over my hair. Yes, I am fun at
parties. The plastic holds your body heat in the bag, which makes the
conditioner really work better. Conditioning my hair kept it from tangling
so much daily because it kept the shafts smooth instead of the consistancy
of velcro. The grocery bag was just cheaper to use than a shower cap.
Also, when you brush or comb long hair, start gently at the tail and loosen
knots, going slowly up to your scalp, and not from the scalp down, which
puts knots in the hair. When it got really long enough to get caught in the
car door when I slammed it shut, I slept with a cotton rubber band like
thing on my hair behind my neck and again further down just to keep it out
of my mouth, and out of the mouth of who was sleeping behind me. Those were
the days.

Cyndi

Old May 8th 04, 04:58 AM
Heather

I've had hair to my rear end for years and the absolute best product I've
found is by L'Anza. The product is a line called Urban Elements, and I use
the Leave-in Conditioner. For my long hair I use about a dime sized amount
and rub it through my hair. It gets even the worst tangles out, and even if
you air dry your hair, it doesn't leave any residue or leave it crunchy.
It's not exactly cheap..about $15 a bottle..but that bottle can last me 6
months. You can find it at many salons and beauty supply stores. I also
color my hair regularly and it has helped keep my hair very healthy. One
thing I was told long ago is to never use a brush on wet hair to detangle
it..always use a comb.

Old May 8th 04, 04:59 AM
Taria

I gave up fussing with perms and cuts 10 years ago or so. I have been
thinking of going short again but after reading your note maybe I should
stick with the grace kelly look (actually I am Ma kettle deep
down). DH swears I am happier sans perms and stylists and so does
DD. I don't let my hair got real long. I try to keep it where I
can do a pony tail or wear it up. If it gets too long it will start to
to get snarly. Usually I buy whatever appropriate shampoo/conditioner
Costco has for my fine hair.
Taria

Old May 8th 04, 05:06 AM
Polly Esther

Oh yes, Diana. Not having bangs in your face is so nice. I'm already
enjoying that. Does Suave really come in lavender scent? Sound lovely.
Polly

Old May 8th 04, 05:46 AM
MoragP

Condition, condition, condition.

I use Head and Shoulders conditioner because I have a very dry scalp but I use
very little and thin it with warm water so i can just pour it over all my hair.
I never get tangles and my husband can run his fingers through it without
hitting a snag even though I have curly hair.

Pantene is pretty good, too.
Good luck.

Morag Anne in Detroit
Old May 8th 04, 05:54 AM
QuiltShopHopper

I've had hair to my rear end for years

How long did it take you to get your hair from nape to waste? DH won't
speak to me until mine is that long after I had 2 bad haircuts in close
sucession and now am trying to get these darn long bangs out of my eyes!

Cyndi

Old May 8th 04, 06:10 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL - I use whatever shampoo is going though if you have dryish hair use the
Alberto VO5 deep conditioner. Also the Avon brush for short hair is really
really good for long hair (strange but true) as is their detangling comb.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old May 8th 04, 06:15 AM
Kate T.

Hey Polly: Remember the mop I had a few years ago when we went to the quilt
show, well I used Pantene for shampoo and then used Infusium 23 Leave in
Treatment. Use only a comb on wet hair, a brush will cause split ends
immediately by stretching and breaking the hair shaft. Infusium will help
with the tangles and frizzies quite a bit. After your hair is dry, using a
brush with natural bristles is best.

I've been ROFLOL imagining you as Ma Kettle.

Kate T.
South Mississippi