Where does everyone keep their stash??

Old May 3rd 04, 03:52 PM
Morag in Oxford

Default Where does everyone keep their stash??

Hi all,

Well, my stash of fabric has now grown to such a size that it's too much for
its current home! up until now it has been stored in a plastic crate, in no
particular order as there wasn't that much to look through when I wanted
something.

But recent Ebay purchases (hubby has banned me from that site!!) and the
fact that we have a Laura Ashley discount store in town has made the stash
overflow its crate. So I need to find some other way of storing it.

How do you all store your fabric? By colour seems the most logical way, but
I could well be wrong. I

Morag

Old May 3rd 04, 04:06 PM
Diana Curtis

Im not telling. That would make it to easy for the Stash Raiders.
You know, seems to me the easiest way to store ones stash would be to make
it up into quilts, tops or finished quilts. ;-)
Diana

Old May 3rd 04, 04:44 PM
C & S

Neither am I, but perhaps another good place, until you make those quilts,
would be a closet of some kind. Colour classification is good to, however I
do have a section for x-mas, wild and whimsical. Do let us know where
you've decided to store your stash. A plan of your house with the exact
location marked would help us out ;).

Carole
who is thinking of putting an alarm around her stash - I've read about you
guys - ;)

Old May 3rd 04, 05:27 PM
Diana Curtis

Its all rumor and inuendo.
Diana

"C & S" wrote ...

Old May 3rd 04, 05:53 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

On Mon, 3 May 2004 11:44:11 -0400, "C & S"
wrote:

Neither am I, but perhaps another good place, until you make those quilts,
would be a closet of some kind. Colour classification is good to, however I
do have a section for x-mas, wild and whimsical. Do let us know where
you've decided to store your stash. A plan of your house with the exact
location marked would help us out ;).

Carole

Oh, and don't forget to let us know the brand of QI-food to bring to
bribe them with... I just *love* to rootle through other peoples stash
dontcha-know...

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK
Old May 3rd 04, 06:12 PM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

You don't have to rootle through other people's stash - it just falls off in
your yeller suitcase. :-)

--
Donna in Idaho
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove "invalid" to reply

Old May 3rd 04, 06:12 PM
georg

I'll tell you where the good stash is only if you enhance it. (Cause I
might use it before you show up to rootle and "borrow")

I currently keep the good stash in 2 bins the size of boot boxes. The
clothing/garb stash is in 2 Rubbermaid tubs that are more generous. And
the scraps are in a wooden chest cupboard. All of the garb material is
upstairs in the dreaded Extra Room. The good stuff is elsewhere, along
with the sewing machine. And the velvet is in another place entirely.

I have seen closets converted to shelves for fabric. I have heard the
plastic bins are terrible. My mum uses clear bins on a bookcase for
hers, and sorts the bins by colors. My dear friend Keran sorts her
fabric by the room upstairs. "Garb suitable" in one room, polyester in
another, general fabric in another, and the fancy stuff has another
room, plus there's the room in which the stuff she is actually working
on (or intending to get to soon) is with her sewing machines and iron.

How you store depends on your quantity. And what else you have fabric
for.

-georg

Old May 3rd 04, 06:27 PM
Natalie

Where is a closely guarded secret. (Protection from my husband and
mother knowing exactly how much time I've spent doing this when I could
be writing my thesis).

How is easier b/c I just came up with a system. Separate novelty
prints, large pieces (over 3 yards), and fabric for specific current
projects, and the rest by color.

Happy fondling!

NS

Old May 3rd 04, 06:29 PM
Mary in Oregon

I have mine in Sterilite storage containers..... cotton prints in one and
solids in another, fleece in another, scraps in a picnic hamper type basket.
If I'm pulling for a specific quilt, I put those fabrics in a plastic bag in
another container or on the shelves of a cabinet. This summer I will regain
my craft room so things will change then. Right now sewing/crafting is in
my bedroom, dining room, and computer room.... wherever I can find a place
to put it.

--
Mary

Old May 3rd 04, 07:00 PM
frood

I enjoy this discussion every time it comes up (and I take lots of notes).
However, it does seem to be 2 separate questions - where is stash kept, and
how is it organized.

Where it is kept depends on how much storage space you have, how big your
stash is, and how rapidly it is expanding (or contracting, I suppose, but we
rarely get people complaining about using up their fabric too fast). I used
to keep mine in plastic storage bins, but that became awkward to manage, and
I never put stuff away after I got it out. Pull out a bin (first move the
one on top of it if needed), open it, stuff in fabric, close it, put it back
(moving the one on top if needed) - five to seven steps to complete the
process. Now, I stack it on shelves. I fold the pieces to a uniform-ish
size. Pieces to be put away are put on top of the stack, one step. This is
for larger than FE size, up to 1 yard pieces. Smaller than FE goes in the
scrap basket, larger goes into the auxilliary stash cupboard, which also
houses my vintage fabric collection, embellishments and books.

As for organization, I stack mine by color, mostly. I have separate stacks
for Christmas (subdivided into Christmas novelty, and Christmas serious),
Halloween, and weird stuff that doesn't belong with the vintage collection.

If color seems the most logical way to you, then do it that way. Sorting
your fabric using a way that is logical to someone else probably isn't the
best method for you. Some sort by type of fabric - 30s repros, batiks, Asian
fabrics, etc. I've even heard of somebody sorting alphabetically -
architechtural, batiks, blenders, cats, Christmas, dogs, etc.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply