alphabet blocks

Old March 21st 04, 12:12 AM
Mystified One

Default alphabet blocks

When doing alphabet blocks, I can't make the set of 26 come out even. No
matter how hard I try, I end up with one left or one blank space.

I even tried figuring out how to make the blocks with alternating blocks, no
luck.

I've already got the ABC blocks, so I can't combine two at the end. They're
redwork 8-inch blocks that I bought on ebay. Doing alternating blocks that
are red and white would be ideal, I think, but I can't get them to come out
even.

I'm curious how anyone else has done these, if they have. If not, how would
you make them come out even?

Old March 21st 04, 12:26 AM
Denise Jameson

If this is a baby quilt... it's quite easy to just set the blocks 5 x
6 and have two blocks with something interesting before the 'A' and
after the 'Z'.......that makes 30 blocks.

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old March 21st 04, 12:30 AM
nzl*

x x x x x x
x x x x
x x x x x x
x x x x
x x x x x x

that works!!
jeanne

http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Mystified One" wrote...

Old March 21st 04, 12:35 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Most of my customers add 4 corner blocks of some kind, which gives you a
total of 30 blocks, for a 5 x 6 setting.

Putting on my math major hat he Since 26 only factors to 2 x 13, the only
way to make them "come out even" without adding or subtracting blocks is two
rows of thirteen, or thirteen rows of two. Not the most satisfying setting
for many people.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

om ,
remove the obvious to reply

Old March 21st 04, 01:24 AM
bogus address

I've already got the ABC blocks, so I can't combine two at the end.
They're redwork 8-inch blocks that I bought on ebay. Doing alternating
blocks that are red and white would be ideal, I think, but I can't get
them to come out even.
I'm curious how anyone else has done these, if they have. If not, how
would you make them come out even?

Make nine more, add spaces and do this?

| the quick |
| brown fox |
| jumps over |
|the lazy dog|

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old March 21st 04, 01:31 AM
Diana Curtis

I know a guy who stands 6ft plus and is no wider than a minute, that would
make a perfect lap quilt for him. :-)
He would seem to be the exception tho.
Diana, who would need two alphabets side by side...

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
om...

Old March 21st 04, 02:59 AM
KathyB in Oz

I have just made two cot quilts using an alphabet block on plain homespu
(calico) alternating with a pattern material (eg bears) 6.5inch blocks -
layout 6 x 9. This gives me a plain block left at the end where I embroider
the baby's full name and birthdate.

If you email me privately I can send you a pic to explain what I mean

KathyB in West Oz (not a Queen but maybe Wicked Witch from the West) *G*

Old March 21st 04, 03:50 AM
dreamboat

This is for mistified one.
In order to make your abc quilt work you have to make
a 30-block quilt 5 across and 6 down with a blank block
on each corner. You could put a design in the blank
blocks.
dreamboat

Old March 21st 04, 04:05 AM
NightMist

wrote:

When doing alphabet blocks, I can't make the set of 26 come out even. No
matter how hard I try, I end up with one left or one blank space.

I even tried figuring out how to make the blocks with alternating blocks, no
luck.

I've already got the ABC blocks, so I can't combine two at the end. They're
redwork 8-inch blocks that I bought on ebay. Doing alternating blocks that
are red and white would be ideal, I think, but I can't get them to come out
even.

I'm curious how anyone else has done these, if they have. If not, how would
you make them come out even?

You can't.

13 is a prime number, half of 26 is 13, no matter what you do you
cannot get it to come out even for more than two rows. When
embroidering a sampler, or doing calligraphy, you can only get it to
come out even because certain letters take up more or less space than
others. When all the letters take up the same amount of space, it
simply cannot be done.

I would suggest making up some blocks to either intersperse with the
alphabet blocks or to tack on at the beginning or end. Or some
combination thereof.
One way I have seen it done is thusly:

26 divided by 4 is 6 remainder 2, so you could have 6 rows of 4 blocks
and one row of 2. Take one block from the first row, rotate the rest
and have a row of three, 5 rows of 4, and a row of three. Then at the
beginning add one block, and at the end add one block, generally a
stack of three embroidered alphabet blocks with ABC at the begging and
XYZ at the end. Make up the width and length with borders and there
you go.

NightMist

--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old March 21st 04, 06:18 AM
Julia Altshuler

How about on point?

Seven in the first row.
Six in the next with 2 setting triangles.
Seven in the row after that.
Six in the last row, again with 2 setting triangles.

No, these are letters. They already have an up and down. They'd look
silly tilted to one side, but my way does solve the make it come out
even problem.

I'd make 2 extra with some pretty design and put them first and last for
a straight set of 4 x 7.

--Lia