What do your qults say?

Old February 9th 04, 10:49 PM
Pat in Virginia

Cina:
First, what is this with 'ultrayummy blondies?' Next, to the best
of my knowledge, there is no 'list for possible squishy
recipient.' Well, the whole group of people who post here are
potential recipients of course, but we do not have an official
gift list. Just make some friends and start sending some fabric
treats. Just ask people for their snail addresses ... provide
your email address for the reply of course. It is so easy. Just
do it. The Queen Has Spoken!
PAT, always ready to receive a squishy, but never that bad word
in VA/USA

Cina wrote:

Heh, I knew the dirty thing would attract some attention. I tried to
think of a different way to phrase the other bad word, but couldn't
think of a better synonym. I really would promise to send a whole bunch
of squishies to a whole bunch of people if I could just get my name on
the list as a possible squishie recipient. I'd even include some of my
ultrayummy blondies if I thought it would help the cause. =)

Cina

Old February 9th 04, 11:28 PM
Cina

Kathy A wrote:

IMHO, the ones on ebay aren't especially great deals, and I would never
consider buying one without test driving it first. Especially a used one.
There are some lemons out there, and some machines have been abused (not
always intentionally.) Most sewing machine repair places don't know how to
work on them, so it's not like you can just bring it anywhere for service.

I'm not big on ebay buying in general, but I like using it to see
what's out there. I'd never buy something that expensive without
testing it, either. I hadn't thought about repairs... that's definitely
something to consider. Especially if you have to dismantle and ship
it... yikes, the shipping costs! I don't think I'm quite ready for
that kind of commitment to my sewing machine yet.

What's your opinion on the quilt frames for regular sewing machines? (I
don't know exactly what these are called, but I mean it's got a rolling
platform for a domestic machine to sit on. I have no idea how the foot
pedal is controlled on something like that, or how the power cord stays
untangled?) Anyway, these seem to be in the $1000 range, which is a
much less scary leap than $7k-$25K machines I saw on
thequiltedrose.com.

Here's a few book and video recommendations, all NAYY, with my personal
comments. (And these are MY opinions, and I know everyone else will have a
different opinion. *grin*)

Of the books at http://columbiariverquilting.com/books.html , I use the Judy
Irish book "Dazzling Doodle Designs" all the time for inspiration, and also
Diana Phillips' "Line Dancing" book. I have one of Nichole Webb's previous
books ("Garden Branching"), which is really good, so her new one "Fantasy
Freehand" is on my list -- I'll probably pick it up at MQS this year. I also
highly recommend Pam Clarke's books -- I have a couple of her stencils and
have been in a couple of lectures she's given, and her methods are lots of
fun.

Oooooooh! DH better hide my wallet right now! "Dazzling Doodle Designs"
looks neat... actually, they all do! On the Pam Clarke books...
"Borderlines, Book 3" looks interesting, but do I need to own books 1
and 2 to understand it?

On the down side, Karen McTavish's book "Quilting for Show" was very highly
touted, and I thought it was a huge waste of money.

http://www.thequiltedrose.com is one of many places to get my favorite
videos (click on the "videos" link. Linda Taylor's "Artistic Freeform" was
the video that really set me free, and would translate very well to a home
machine. I haven't seen "Fancy Feather Frenzy" or "Advanced Artistic
Freeform 2", but I took both those classes last year, and I'm sure they will
also translate well to a home machine.

I got to the home page ok, but most of the links won't load for me.
I'll try again later, though... the video titles are intriguing!

snip lots of good stuff... I don't really have a comment for it, other
than you gave me some food for thought.
Some people are cut out to run their own business and some aren't. Nothing
wrong with either way, but the key to happiness is to know which kind of
person you are. (Well, that and a big hunk of chocolate! LOL)

Starting my own business is still a long way off. A loooooooooong way
off. And what I want isn't just quilting. What I'd like to do is own a
sort of restaurant/hotel/craft school/store. Just picture it: a
beautiful Alaskan setting, where locals can gather for a good meal and
crafting classes (especially in winter, when tourism $$$ are bupkus).
There's a good-sized kitchen attached, where meals for the restaurant
are prepared, as well as cooking classes are taught. (OK, so the
kitchens would be separated somehow.) I'd convince fabulous instructors
to come teach at my place, and would have hotel space for 'em to stay,
along with Outsiders who come to take classes. I'd have theme months...
let's say Thai one month, with classes in traditional basket weaving,
loom weaving, clothing, art, pottery, cooking. Then next month, it's PA
Dutch, with hex sign painting, quilting, stained glass,
scherenschnitte, cooking. After that, Polynesian, or Russian, or
whatever. There'd be a craft/fabric store as well. And I could take all
the classes I want!

DH would be in charge of the more "outdoorsy" stuff... hikes/camping
with llamas, 4-wheeling, dogsledding, hunting/fishing, projects with
powertools. This would help keep the menfolk occupied, and might make
for more couples booking rooms. He'd also make sure there were zippy
computers hooked up on every available surface.

OK, so realistically? I know that most of that is dreaming. I know that
I sure don't have the money to *start* a business with all of that
going on. I know that to run an operation that complex would require
quite a *number* of employees. But I'm still working toward it slowly.
I've got restaurant and retail experience, and once we move I'll be
looking for work in a LQS and a farm/greenhouse so I can pick up more
of the specifics. I've been doing research on various equipment like
looms (and building our own looks like the way to go here), kilns
(maybe build), walk-in refrigerators, etc... DH is doing the same on
his end. I'm overlooking important stuff like liability insurance, I
know, but I'm not ready for that yet. And when we finally are ready
to take the plunge, it'll be small. Like a sandwich shop with extra
room in the back for small craft classes. And then, as we get wildly
popular, we'll expand! See, I got it all figured out!

Gah, didn't mean to go on so long about that! It's just that DH and I
were comparing URLs for real estate sites, and whenever we do that, I
go and get all dreamy! We start talking about the nifty chickens we'll
have and the big garden and how to protect the compost pile from bears,
and watching the northern lights from our fabulous hot tub and I'm a
goner. =)

Cina
Old February 9th 04, 11:28 PM
Cina

Kathy A. wrote:

Okay, get out your sketch pad and pencil. (Another free professional tip for
you!) Start doodling without lifting your pencil from the paper. If you can
draw it on the paper, you can quilt it.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Now, where's my sketch pad?

Once you get control of your machine and can make the quilting go where you
want, paper and pencil is a fabulous way to practice new designs. What
you're teaching your brain is where to go next and when to zig and when to
zag. I have several sketch books (one for work, one for home, and one needs
to go back in my purse) so I can jot down ideas whenever the inspiration
strikes. Plus, if you're doodling, and someone asks what you're doing, and
you say "I'm practicing my quilting", they pretty much leave you alone, with
only the occasional odd glance. (Muttering to yourself will put the icing on
the cake.) *grin*

I bet the practice really helps. Right now, I'm having trouble making
larger free motion designs... it's like I see what I want to do in my
head, but it's hard to translate to my hands. I'm still too herky-jerky
or I stop too soon, and end up making the designs closer together than
I intend to cover up the starts and stops. And I love the idea of
muttering to myself... "There goes that crazy doodle lady," they'll
say. Ha!

Cina
Old February 9th 04, 11:28 PM
Cina

Kathy A wrote:

We also have a Queen of Squishies who will act as your intermediary, asking
for you anonymously.

Oh, yeah! Duh me.

Personally, I go for the ask and then procrastinate method. And since I'm so
public about that, it *really* surprises the recipient when something shows
up right away! LOL

Neat how you fool 'em with promptness! That would be a lot of fun, too!
Squishies sure sound neat! =)

Cina
Old February 9th 04, 11:50 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Cina" wrote in message

On the Pam Clarke books...
"Borderlines, Book 3" looks interesting, but do I need to own books 1
and 2 to understand it?

I doubt you have to go in order. But here's her website:
http://www.homestitches.com/ -- you can ask her yourself! (And really, she
doesn't bite. *grin*)

I'd convince fabulous instructors
to come teach at my place, and would have hotel space for 'em to stay,
along with Outsiders who come to take classes.

Looks like you need to convince your DH to pop for a trip to
http://www.lequilters.com/company.html for, er, research purposes. Yeah,
that's it. *big grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 10th 04, 12:13 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

ULTRAyummy Blondies?! I love blondies but they are usually too gooey or
too cakey.

Do you share recipes?

Do you trade them for fabric?

see how easy this is?
marcella

Old February 10th 04, 12:52 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
ULTRAyummy Blondies?! I love blondies but they are usually too gooey or
too cakey.

But what, oh what, is a Blondie??? (Other than the lady married to Dagwood
or a rocker, that is.)

Old February 10th 04, 01:04 AM
Taria

Blondies are like brownies but no chocolate.
They are very good but probably not on any
suggested diet food list!
Taria

Old February 10th 04, 01:24 AM
frood

I understand this practice method for long-arm quilting, but isn't the
equivilent for regular machines to hold the pencil still and move the paper?
How can doodling help me figure out how to quilt on my machine?

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. com...

"Cina" wrote in message
I like the flowers and leaves, and I'm
wondering how hard it would be to stitch in an occasional bumblebee. I
like the idea of a secondary design in matching yellow, too. Maybe even
a hive, if I go with a bee theme and it's not too difficult.

Old February 10th 04, 01:49 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
ULTRAyummy Blondies?! I love blondies but they are usually too gooey or
too cakey.

But what, oh what, is a Blondie??? (Other than the lady married to Dagwood
or a rocker, that is.)

Bar cookies kinda like a brownie. But not chocolate. Think chocolate
chip cookie dough without the chocolate...kinda a brown sugar, buttery,
chewy, bliss, drool, drool, drool.

marcella
tried the new scharffen-berger extra dark or milk chocolate yet?